Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tiffken813

Floaty Ryukin

Hey everyone, my Ryukin, Picasso, has been floating some after meals and so I have been soaking his food and trying to fix it. Right now we just have flakes ( I didn't know better) but this next week we are ordering some Hykari (sp) sinking pellets and I will soak them. The problem also happens when we do water changes and I was hoping someone could explain why and how I can help prevent it. I have read some about swim bladder. Is this what he has? We saw he had some bubbly poo a few nights ago. I know they can get constipated so every few days I've been feeding them peas. I just wanted to pick ya'lls brains. I had searched for posts on here and found ones that talked about soaking the food, but couldn't find one that explained the water change floating. Thanks for your help!

Could you please fill out the top. :thumb:

Bah, I was hoping I didn't have to, lol. Ok, I've got to run to the store and then I'll look everything up and check the levels. Was hoping I could just get some general advice about floating.

I just went through a small bout of this with my medium Ryukin Fluffy. Noticed the bubbly poos and floatiness. Personally, I would feed a few chopped up peas, how many depending on their size and how much they'll eat. Fast the next day (no food no matter how much they beg) UNLESS you're seeing poo, then you can slip him/her a pea.(Mine beg for food like there is no tomorrow, it's hard not to feed them!).Also, still continue to soak the Hikari or what ever brand of sinking pellets you buy.

Why this is happening could be because of water quality which can result in gulping at the surface, or some fish just have a habit of coming up to the surface, such as Fluffy, or they're coming up to much to eat, or it could be a weak swim bladder. There are many possible reasons, just keep up with the peas and soaking the food.

As for water changes, when water is added back into the aquarium quickly, like when using a python, the water pressure increases. Most fish won't be bothered, but some with weaker swim bladders can be affected. You can try adding the water back into the aquarium more slowly, or you can scoop him into a tub during water changes. (I had to do this with Fluffy while he went through this the other day, and he did fine.) Good luck!

I just went through a small bout of this with my medium Ryukin Fluffy.

Hi Tiffkris. I just saw that you have a Ryukin named Fluffy. I do too! What a coincidence!

Tiffken - I think what Tiffkris said is true, some fish are affected by the change in water pressure at waterchange time.

However, I think it's more likely constipation. You might try switching the food up - I alternate between 2 different kinds of pellets in the mornings, and he gets some kind of veggie at night. I have fed him zuccini, lettuce, parsley, peas, smushed garbanzo beans, and some algae flakes. Whatever veggie I'm having for dinner, Fluffy gets a bit of too. I really don't have any problems with floating any more since he's getting so much non processed food. It's good to have variety, I think.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

mj