Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Acro

Goldfish Locations in Tokyo, Japan?

I will be in Tokyo Japan near the Tokyo Disney area at the end of December. I would love to visit some goldfish places while I am there. Are there any cool exhibits, zoos, parks or places to buy goldfish to check out? I would bring back lots of pictures of course!

I will be in Tokyo Japan near the Tokyo Disney area at the end of December. I would love to visit some goldfish places while I am there. Are there any cool exhibits, zoos, parks or places to buy goldfish to check out? I would bring back lots of pictures of course!

I am 100% envious. I'm sure you will have an amazing trip. I am certain Trinket will see your post before then, but if not, definitely alert her so as to get some suggestions of places to go. :)

That's awesome! No idea of places, but I'm sure there'll be some. Japan is definitely on my list of places to visit.

Edited by pumpkinPatch

One place I went in Tokyo is Goldfish Hill...very cool goldfish shop, coffee house, and goldfish gift shop. The photos aren't showing, but there are directions. The one thing I wasn't crazy about was the fish catching game for kids, but it is still worth a look around. Some amazing goldfish and very cool goldfish related gifts. Off topic...are you going to Tokyo Disney?

Here is the information:

Kingyozaka: Hongo blank.gifJust steps off busy Hongo-dori, bustling with hungry Tokyo University students seeking out the last cheap bowls of gyu-don left in Japan, is a quiet, quirky place. A place where you can sit in a sunbeam nursing a cup of coffee topped with whipped cream, while you contemplate what to put in the aquarium of your dreams.

As the name - literally "goldfish hill" - suggests, Kingyozaka sells goldfish, and in a serious way. Brilliantly colored, bulbous-eyed prize giants wriggle lazily in show tanks, and the ground is packed tight with rows of clay pots, each meticulously aquacultured into a miniature garden for its piscine inhabitant. In the back are big concrete ponds, each seething with diminutive fish in every shape and color imaginable. And for all your new fishy friends' needs, there is a small store selling basic aquarium supplies.

For those who are just looking, which is the case for most of the people who visit, Kingyosaka also has a cafe where you can get a light lunch and pastries. The airy, gracious Swiss-chalet-esque building is full of cozy little tables, where you can sip strong coffee in delicate bone china with flower patterns or sample their respectable Chinese tea service.

On evenings and weekends, the lace and trinket-covered baby grand piano is pushed out of the corner for classical-music recitals. There are also regular lectures and readings, such as a talk by a biology professor from the nearby U of Tokyo about the killifish that were sent up into orbit on the space shuttle (and whose descendents are now living in a pond in Roppongi Hills). For those who really want to get into the spirit of old-style literary societies, a humidor at the entrance contains a large selection of Cuban cigars.

Not in the market for a goldfish? Feeling ambivalent about how badly you need that cup of coffee? You might enjoy playing for free drinks by hooking a goldfish in specially stocked ponds of ominously murky green water. For a small price you get a fishing rod, bait, and half an hour to catch all the fish you can. Most of the fish in the pond are standard grayish-brown carp, but a few are orange nishiki koi and these are, literally, the ticket to a free drink. But don't get too attached to your catch - all the fish go back into the pond, to be hoodwinked by the next customer when you are done.

by I-han Chou

kingyo1.jpg

kingyo3.jpg

kingyo5.jpgblank.gif

Kingyozaka

Hongo 5-3-15

03-3815-7088

Hours: 11:30-23:00

Closed Sundays and holidays

Directions: From Hongo-sanchome and Kasuga-dori crossing, walk up Hongo-dori towards Tokyo University (a police koban and McDonalds should be on your left). Three short blocks up, just before you get to the Todai Akamon (red gate), there is a small alley on your left with Cafe de Crie and a flower shop on the corner. Turn left down the small alley and Kingyouzaka is about two minutes walk down.

http://www.kingyozaka.com blank.gif

dnalex,

I haven't gone there yet, the trip is still in the planning stages and I am working on finding enough money to get there. But I going to do the BEST I can to reach my money goal! It is very likely I will have to sell off a few things to do so. lol

pumpkinPatch,

If Japan is on your list, then meet me there. :)

amynmitchell,

Thanks for that info!

Yes, I plan to visit Tokyo Disney and Disney Sea. I heard they have a goldfish exhibit at Disney Sea, do you know if that is true? Actually, the main reason for going is because I am a fan of Cirque Du Soleil, and the show they have at Tokyo Disney (Zed) is closing on the last day of December. So being such a fan I have to head out there and see it before it is gone forever!

Thanks you three for posting! If anybody knows of other cool goldfish places, please add to my list!

(I will bring back pictures!) :D

Ugh, wish I could meet you there, but it probably wont be a trip for this year. I love Cirque, I've seen 2 of their shows in Vegas.

Ok . . . . . . . tickets have been bought and I will be going to Tokyo, Japan leaving November 30!!!!!!

Thanks again amynmitchell for that info!

Everyone else, please add a Goldfish location if you know one, I will bring back LOTS of pictures to share!!!!

The rest of the trip will consist of seeing the Cirque Du Soleil show ZED (2ce) and going to DisneySea. Also lots of sight seeing!

I will post updates so keep an eye out!

:)

Wow. Have a wonderful time! I'm sure it will be an amazing trip :)

Only a few more days, I leave on November 30, any other leads on Goldfish Locations would be wonderful !!!!

:D:):D:):D:)

And thanks, dnalex, for the wishes!

I don't know of any places. I just wanted to add that I CAN"T WAIT to see your pictures :)

Have an amazing time!!!

Thanks molbert73 !!!

Actually the plans have changed a little, now we will be going to both parks, Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea. Going to be couch surfing instead of getting a hotel. Changed the flight also and that made it cheaper (my buddy works for the airlines so he can do that). But yes, I hope to take lots of fish pictures to share! I will post again before I leave. :D

I believe they have goldfish in the roof of the Seibu Department store in Ikebukuro (it's a nice department store inside, too). I do not know how fancy they are, but it may be fun if they still have it up there. I bought my original goldfish on the roof of another department store in Shinjuku, but I forget which one now--maybe Keio? Anyway, at that time about 5 years ago they had big tubs of all different sizes of goldfish outside and some in a small shop built up there on the roof. It was different and kind of fun. (not sure what they do in the winter, I might add--I bought my fish in the summer). There was also a small playground up there for kids.

There is also a big aquarium under Tokyo Tower that has goldfish, among other kinds, assuming it is still open.

Aqua Forest in Shinjuku is very small and had 1 or 2 tanks of lovely ryukin and ranchu that I remember. Probably not worth a special trip, but if you are in Shinjuku it is in the "subnade", an underground mall. Hard to find, so I'd get help from your hotel (have them call and get explicit directions to get both into the subnade from the metro (which exit) and from there to the shop. From the subway, I walked to one of the B exits, I think, and ended up at an escalator (with a small fish tank at the top) going down to the mall, then had to find my way through the maze to get there, it's back in a corner. They specialize in Amano-style tanks and have a small number set up there. http://www.a-forest....p/map/index.htm

Have fun in Tokyo. Harajuku on the weekends is worth a stop, too--nothing to do with fish, but fun japanese pop culture. Lots of teenagers wandering around, some dressed like bopeep and such (again, you may see less of this in the winter, but there will be plenty of people regardless).

Edited by spillie

Wow spillie !! Thank you for that info! Some different places for fish, how cool!

I leave tomorrow !!! I am excited!!!! :D

I am home!

Thanks amynmitchell! And yes, DisneySea was AMAZING!

In the next few days I will discribe my adventure and put up some pictures!

But for now, I am sleepy and I am off to bed.

:)