Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Azlaier

Shelf Life on Pro-Gold? (And other pellets)

So does anyone know what the shelf life on Pro-Gold is? The zip-lock seal on the bag it came in has busted, so I'm just keeping it in a zip-lock baggy where I squeeze out all of the air after I use it and seal it. I know after a while the vitamins and nutrients will become inactive after oxidization. And what about the shelf-life on other pellets and other foods like Algae Wafers and gel foods?

After opening, we usually suggest feeding for no more than 6 months. And then get another package :)

For dry foods, once you open...six months, unless you divvy up into smaller portions and vacuum seal.

For gel food, I make enough to last for a couple of months. :)

I've made gel food in the past from pellets that I feared were nearing their shelf life. That way I could freeze the gel food and get more use out of the pellets I'd bought.

I've made gel food in the past from pellets that I feared were nearing their shelf life. That way I could freeze the gel food and get more use out of the pellets I'd bought.

Great idea. I've done the same. :)

With my pigs, the pellets never near their date lol

I read that freezing the pellets makes the oils go rancid?

I used to separate the pellets in vacuum sealed bags with about 50Grams in each.

I keep my Pro-Gold for about 6 months -- I write the date I received it on the label of the bag so I won't forget. Azlaier, the ziplock seal ALWAYS breaks on bags of Pro-Gold. Always. I usually fold the top of the bag down a few times and use a "chip clip" on it.

I keep a small quantity of food under the tank for daily use, and freeze the bulk of it. I was planning to freeze it for a year, but from what I read here, I might need to change my plan. I buy the smallest quantity I can, but it's much more than Fluffy can ever eat in the timeframe...especially since I rotate between 3 different kinds of food.

Luckily the betta eats one of them too, so I get a bit more use out of the Omega1 pellets.

mj

This is a great idea! I will definitely consider this in a few months!

I read that freezing the pellets makes the oils go rancid?

I used to separate the pellets in vacuum sealed bags with about 50Grams in each.

What kind of bags do you use, and how do you vacuum seal them?

I keep my Pro-Gold for about 6 months -- I write the date I received it on the label of the bag so I won't forget. Azlaier, the ziplock seal ALWAYS breaks on bags of Pro-Gold. Always. I usually fold the top of the bag down a few times and use a "chip clip" on it.

Ah, that's unfortunate...I thought I just got a bad bag.

I have a vacuum sealer which comes with special bags.

That is one thing that bugs me about pellets, that they don't come in tiny quantities. Not everyone has two dozen fish to feed, and so the food goes bad eventually. What a waste :(

That's because the companies that make the food won't make much money at all if they make small quantities. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people end up using food that's way past due.

I probably did that when I first started out with the fish. I don't think it says anywhere on the package how long you can use it after opening.

Good thing the tropicals like the omega one pellets too. Gotta grind them up a bit for the smaller fish, but that's no problem. They all love it, and less gets wasted. :D

That is one thing that bugs me about pellets, that they don't come in tiny quantities. Not everyone has two dozen fish to feed, and so the food goes bad eventually. What a waste :(

Yeah, it is a waste. :( I think I will either grind it up and put it in gel food when it nears its expiration, or maybe just feed it to my dog lol.

My progold gets used up in 6 months time. I buy the smaller bag, and then I also grind it to a almost powder for TD's guppies :thumb:

I bought the smallest pack, but there's no way I'm getting through this in 6 months! lol. By the way, what are those little floating wads of food that are also in Pro-Gold? It looks like they're maybe some sort of Spirulina or something?

By the way, what are those little floating wads of food that are also in Pro-Gold? It looks like they're maybe some sort of Spirulina or something?

Floating wads of food? My bags only ever contain pellets and nothing else. Not sure what that could be?

By the way, what are those little floating wads of food that are also in Pro-Gold? It looks like they're maybe some sort of Spirulina or something?

Floating wads of food? My bags only ever contain pellets and nothing else. Not sure what that could be?

I will take a picture and post it.

Ok, here's a picture of it:

IMAG0052.jpg

And here's a picture of it next to some pellets for comparison:

IMAG0053.jpg

I've never had a bag like that. Mine have always contained just pellets. You might want to email Rick at Goldfish Connection and ask his opinion -- he'll want to know about any quality control issues anyway.

Ok, I just might do that.

Dry foods should be kept in the dark. If you place them in a new bag that is clear you should put it in a paper bag or other non-transparent container.

Dry foods should be kept in the dark. If you place them in a new bag that is clear you should put it in a paper bag or other non-transparent container.

Ok, I will place it under a towel.

I sometimes take my outdated food to the pond at the local park. The fish go BUCK WILD over it!!!!!