Sign in to follow this  
Shamu23

Budgies?

13 posts in this topic

So I've decided that it might be time to finally get a cute little bird :D. I've never owned a bird before, but I've been doing some research and think that a budgie might be the right bird for me. I think I know all the basics, but does anyone have any experience with them, is there anything specific I need to know? The local humane society has two budgies right now, so I might go look at them tomorrow since I start volunteering there tomorrow anyway. I havent gotten a cage yet or anything, does anyone have a size recommendation? I was looking at them at petland and found a nice one that isnt too expensive (well it still costs about $90, but its much cheaper than the other ones). It comes in several sizes, but the smallest one seems a bit too small, so Im guessing I should at least get the medium? Any advice is appreciated :)

ill bet Hidr will have some good advice for you!

my sister has had 2 pairs of budgies before which basically meant I had 2 pair of budgies before. they are pretty cute and easy to care for they are deff talkers.

get the biggest cage possable the bigger the better. take tameing them slowly if they are not hand tamed.

get them plenty of toys birds love toys and it keeps them from feather picking out of boredom which is a huge problem for birds you never want them to get bored so get as many size appropriate toys as you can and often becuase they are like kids and will get bored of the same toys after a while. and make sure not to feed them a sole seed diet thats not good for them look for a pellet/seed diet. keep candles and air freshners away from them as these things can be deadly to birds.

they love fresh fruits and veggies as treats and budgies adore foraging from the ground so if you want to help in tameing them take them out of the cage and spread a clean sheet of paper on the floor and then spread some millet seed on it they will go crazy! also make sure you ask about wing clipping this is usually very important when first tameing hte birds as you dont want them flying off everytime they become nervous they never learn to trust you that way and feather clipping is very easy and harmless i used to do it to my sisters birds once every couple of weeks i belive.

cant wait to see pictures of your new babies!

thanks for the advice :). I looked at the two at the shelter today, and I definitely like the one (well i like both, but im just gonna stick with one for now). He is yellow and green, and he is very cute. I just gotta hope that nobody else adopts him before i do. My parents r mad at me and trying to tell me im "not allowed" to have a bird, but thats their problem because i moved out so its my decision :D. i wonder when they'll realize that they cant control my life anymore, oh well. i still gotta get a cage and stuff, might do that tomorrow or so, one of the pet chains has a decent sale on the cage i want to get, so I'll have to go check it out to make sure its also an instore sale not just online.

My friend had a parakeet (what we call budgies in the US [in case you didn't know]), and it always bit us lol

Edited by Azlaier

I looked into getting a bird when I realized I didn't have time for a dog. I learned that they need a lot of attention and get very unhappy if they are alone too much. If you have time and desire to hand train them, then only get one. If you don't have a lot of time for the bird, get two birds so they can bond to each other and not be lonely. As far as cages, I think it's like goldfish tanks - get the biggest one you can afford!

good luck! I think budgies are so cute and cheerful!

mj

I have two budgies.

First order your cage on line you can get a lot more cage for less money. (or a bird show near you) Also bigger is better. Tall is not that important but you do need a lot of floor space. For two I would go with no less then 24 x 16 but as said bigger is better.

Do you want tame birds? Is the ones in the shelter already tame? If not older birds take much longer to tame and pairs even longer.

They also do fine as single birds and can learn to talk. They just need extra time with you but are much easier to tame down. However since mine are not tame I have a pair.

They need a varied diet. Seeds are ok but make sure you offer a good quality pellets. Or do like I do and give them mix veggies daily with a little bit of seed. It can take a while for them to realize it is food don't give up and the older the bird the longer it take.

They also need toys. Don't put so many in the cage they can't stretch their wings but enough they have choices. You may have to try several toys before you find what they like. Make sure you have enough to change a couple out every month.

Budgies do not need grit. So don't bother. They don't need those cuttle bones unless you have a female with egg laying issues.

They can be very messy. Non stick will kill them. So if you have any of that in the house get rid of it before you get your birds. Don't make the mistake I did and think you won't every over heat it. I lost 7 budgies and threw out my non stick that very day.

Wing clipping some people do some don't. All my pet birds are clipped. I just worry to much to give them enough out time if they can fly all over. My un tame birds are flighted since they rarely get out of the cage. (I know they need more out time but like I said I worry to much about them getting hurt.)

Ok think I got the important stuff. If you have any more questions ask away.

Oh great parrot website you can learn more about birds.

http://forums.aviana...e.com/forum.php

Good luck

ok so i finally got the cage and everything, and set it all up. it was nearly impossible to find the cage i wanted, actually it was impossible. i wanted the medium, but every place i went they only had the medium tall, and its almost 3 feet tall, and costs an extra $80 for that, so that didnt make any sense. so after going to five different pet stores and driving all around the city for 2 hours I finally gave up and decided to just get the small for now. i cant afford to pay the shipping for ordering a cage online, so I'll just wish for the bigger one for christmas from my parents. the small is not really that tiny, it will certainly do for a few months. plus, i decided to look at wally world and they had the small one for $30 cheaper than the petstores, so I got a nice deal :). but after taking 2 hours to get everything I just decided to wait until tomorrow to get a bird. once i do, i will post some pics, thanks for all the great advice :)

When it comes to birds Hidr is the girl to ask :thumb: thanks Hidr :)

Hidr is right about the non-stick cookware.

My housemate's 2 budgies died after one of us over heated the non stick cookware. Even though the birds were at the other end of the house, they both died. It was especially horrible because my housemate was travelling at the time and I had to email her to tell her that the birds were dead.

Anyway, good luck with your new friends. I hope it all works out for you!

mj

so I finally got my new birdie yesterday :D. he is the one from the humane society, his name there was Noodles, but i already had a fish named Noodles, so I changed his name to Jake :). He's such a cute little guy! He's not hand tame yet, but he did take some millet from my hand this morning :). My dog is so fascinated by him, its pretty funny, every time he makes any kind of noise, she comes running into the room to check it out. As soon as I change the batteries in my camera, i will take some pictures :D

I had four budgies when I was 8-10 years old :) sadly, they were really noisy and my neighbors complained so we eventually had to give them away. I had a turquoise male, a green male and two females: one was yellow and the other was light blue. They are awesome birds and I consider getting them again in the future, maybe something more challenging because budgies are more ideal as beginner birds. I don't know about anyone else, but I had a wooden cage and it didn't work out because my birds kept on chewing at the bars! Also, don't get a cage with painted or lead parts as this could poison your budgie.

My budgies actually had an egg. This was because the cage came with one of those little 'nest houses' (don't know what they are really called? lol) so a few weeks/months later we found two small eggs in there. I suggest not getting a 'nest house' if you are not looking to breed your budgies.

As Hidr nicely worded, pairs or older budgies are harder to tame. I found mine very difficult to tame, it was hard to get them to trust me lol.

Good luck! :D

I didn't have time to read all the posts but...

I am a budgie guru :clapping:

Basically, if you want a friendly budgie, get ONE. Then when it's fully hand-tamed (will preen you, give you kisses, sing to you), then you can get another bird, but keep the newer one in a separate cage until it's tamed.

DO NOT buy "grit" like many products recommend. Grit is basically small rocks that birds ingest to help crush up whole seeds in their crop (first stomach). Budgies and parrots do not need grit because they shell their seeds before eating them (yes, even those tiny little white millet seeds!)

Vitamin-enhanced seeds probably won't work, because the vitamins only cover the shells, not the actual seed.

As far as taming goes, basically every day you put your hand closer to the bird for 15 minutes per session, then eventually you can pick the bird up bu pressing a finger to his belly (not his breast, like many people make the mistake of doing).

Budgies need at least 3 different sized perches (cute dowels work nicely. Or fruit tree branches that have been baked to kill bacteria.) to exercise their foot muscles

Budgies without toys are unhappy birds. I have 9 toys in the cage now, and I rotate 3 with new toys (or older ones that haven't been around for a while) every month to keep up interest. Also every month I completely rearrange everything in the cage.

A friendly, tame budgie out of his cage will try to sample ANYTHING you are eating! Just make sure nothing he samples contains...

avocado, caffeine, alcohol, uncooked onion, dairy (they are lactose intolerant), or seeds. Birds can eat hot peppers without the burning sensation, so it's ok to give your budgie a nibble of fresh pepper once in a while. Just no seeds, please!

Don't think it's OK to let the cat roam while the bird is out. I made that mistake and my poor boy Angel was snatched by my cat... 2 $300 vet bills later, he's still as energetic and happy as he was before the accident.

Also~ if you take unscented, uncolored, un-lotioned tissues and twist them into a wad, you can stick them into the cage bars for a daily shredding session :) My budgies go nuts over that!

Cuttlebone is a must, because it really wears down budgie beaks. Beaks grow quick, and they can become overgrown and impair eating in a couple of months. If you can't find cuttlebone, buy a "mineral block" (which "enhances color, song, and provides nutrition", but really the birds just chew it up and spit it out, so it's not nutritious whatsoever) because those, too, will wear down a beak.

DON'T put a mirror in the cage! EVER! A budgie will become so infatuated with his gorgeous reflection that he will be kissing it all day and will totally un-tame himself, biting you when you put your hand in the cage!

Don't leave the bird unsupervised in outside time :) Once I let both my budgies out when I showered, and when I came back to my room later, THEY WERE EXCAVATING! They had chewed a hole right through the drywall xD Luckily, nobody was hurt. But it was annoying when we put up new wallpaper.

Budgies are parrots, remember. They are no different than giant scarlet macaws, just a little toned-down in each area. A happy budgie is a noisy budgie, and noisy budgies can be LOUD. One day you'll wake up at the crack of dawn and you'll hear loud budgie screaming. It's usually just happy noises, they're expressing their joy, so don't worry.

Fresh veggies every day are important. Feed VERY green lettuce, broccoli, carrots, and others. Google up "safe food for budgies" and you'll find a list of what you can feed them. My bird's favorite is lettuce. They go nuts over the stuff! Skye the female likes to shred things (it's just a little instinct for nesting material), so she shreds and eats the lettuce. Angel just nibbles away. Broccoli is also -delicious- and the birds love love love love love nibbling off the tiny little "leaves".

A sign of excitement and happiness in a budgie is when you see his pupils get really tiny. There will be lots of white showing in his eyes, and he might play with a toy, or preen YOU. The pupils may also expand and contract quickly. His forehead, belly, and chest feathers will also fluff up and he may crouch down. If he bobs his head, he is telling you that he loves you so much that he would regurgitate for you :carrot: But don't worry, he won't. Just be honored if he does that, though.

Play time is important! Play with your budgie at least 30 minutes a day, and let him fly plenty. Also, do NOT clip his wings. It will just make him so terrified that he will cling helplessly to anything in sight. It's just mean. Birds were meant to fly, why not let them?

Aaaaand last but not least, HAVE FUN!!!

PS this is quite late but I just had to dole out advice!

lol thanks for all the advice, i already have a second budgie now. I was only going to stick with one to try and tame him, but he just wont get any tamer no matter what i do, he will sit on my hand for food but thats it. but the two are best friends, they love each other :)