Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
botete

Cultivate Greenwater Lighting.

Hello greenwater experts, I would like to set up a greenwater tank for my baby ranchus. I'm aware that light and ammonia are the main factors to start a greenwater setup. If you have a tank that's 20 inches high, how much wattage of light do you need in order for algae to grow?

Thank you very much

There are more factors than wattage. Like color spectrum and light intensity. I didn't have any testable ammonia when I had green water. I had two 18 watt compact florescent lights over a 12 gallon tank. Both were 6700K/10000K combo lights. I had good luck with UVA reptile bulbs. Compacts are brighter per watt than T8 or T12 bulbs.

Is this going to be a fish tank? You can also by green water starter online.

There are more factors than wattage. Like color spectrum and light intensity. I didn't have any testable ammonia when I had green water. I had two 18 watt compact florescent lights over a 12 gallon tank. Both were 6700K/10000K combo lights. I had good luck with UVA reptile bulbs. Compacts are brighter per watt than T8 or T12 bulbs.

Is this going to be a fish tank? You can also by green water starter online.

Thanks for the info chris. Yes, i'm planning to get 6700k light, I just don't know how much watts do I need to start a stable greenwater.

It's a tub. 110 gallon tub with the dimension of 53L x 36W x 20H.

keep in mind that you cannot have any good bacteria if you want to grow the green water as it will outcompete the algae :)

let us know about your progress!

keep in mind that you cannot have any good bacteria if you want to grow the green water as it will outcompete the algae :)

let us know about your progress!

Thank you fro your reminder. I'm looking at the hagen glo t5ho 2x54w. Do you think that would be enough?