Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Midnight112x

Loud Aquaclear Filter

I dont know why but since i came back home, my aquaclear filter is very loud. Sounds like it does when you run it without water (if that makes sense) i took it out and swished the tube and sponge in decholrinated water but that actually made it louder. Are there other pieces i should be taking apart? Its only about 2 months old

The motor twists off the filter, rinse the impeller & impeller well, there may be sand/gravel in it making it rattle. There is an arrow on the motor showing which way to turn to remove it. :)

The manual explains this too I think.

Edited by Red

thanks Red. I just tried that now with no success. I took out a little propeller, a metal rod from the small "motor" and nothing was clogged or blocking it. It actually looked clean. Still making that noise. Pain in my rear

Hmmm...if the lid isn't sitting tightly it will rattle...not sure what else!

That's what I was going to say (Red) Maybe its just not sitting in there right, try wiggling it a bit ;)

It could also be a malfunction,has it always done this??

If it's the lid, you can place a heavy decoration on top of it to keep the lid snug in the box. :)

? Do you have sand in the tank or gravel? Or and Airstone?

Having eight AquaClears, I haven't encountered too many issues with noise however as previously noted the lids do tend to rattle on the 50's and especially the 70's. You have to position the lid just right in order to stop the vibration (and they do make a lot of noise when they vibrate). Sarah suggests placing an item on the lid to stop the vibration which would work, and I've seen some fanciers simply remove the lid rather than deal with the noise. Mine haven't vibrated in at least 4 months so I have to think that positioning your AC's properly also would help. Just in case this isn't the problem, usually it's grains of sand or fine gravel caught in the impeller. Remove the impeller and clean out the shaft as well as the impeller itself making sure there's no residue whatsoever. Just in case you may need to contact the manufacturer, here's a link to the AquaClear owner's manual with access to their customer service department.

http://www.kokosgold...ruction-manual/

Edited by blackteles

My aquaclear 110 was super loud but it was old and abused. I replaced the impeller and the impeller shaft and that quieted it down, but I don't think that should be an issue in a new filter.

you guys are great. Thanks for the help. i tried removing the lid but that did nothing. It looks like i might contact the company, like blackteles suggested. Thanks again

Any airstone under the intake tube?? Bubbles going up the intake will make it noisy.

? Do you have sand in the tank or gravel? Or and Airstone?

?

oh oops, i forgot to answer those sorry. It is gravel in my tank but i found none in the filter. The airstone is about 16 inches away in the corner of the 55 gallon tank while the aquaclear filter is in the middle.

Ok so you dont think the air stone moved at some time and got under the filter intake? The only reason Im asking, is cause if this does happens it creates like pits in the magnet motor. My old 450 Emperor has this now and is getting noisy :(

But if this isnt the case and everything we have asked is good, then I would say the filter has a flaw in it :(

It could be from air, over heating or air causing overheating.

Ways air could get into the impeller.

Leaking motor o-ring. Just because air gets in doesn't mean it will leak.

Crack or pin hole in the uplift tub. It maybe very hard to see.

The water level should be at the lip of the filter. If it is lower, air could be drawn in through the fitting on the U-tube

It could be from heating. Water must flow to keep the unit cool. Running the filter without water or running the unit while not lowing water could cause damage. A prefilter could slow flow.

Have you tried removing the media and run the filter?

Also make sure the U tube snaps into place.

I have taken 2 pieces of the media for my QT so there is only 1 sponge in there now. Does the U-tube really need to snap? It doesnt seem to want to do that. The water level is high enough and this tank didnt get a water change while i was at the honeymoon.

you mean snap in to the holding spot on the filter?

If so, yeah it does, if not air gets in :(

it seems like it just fits in there. It also looks like it swivels side to side. The slot it fits into is much bigger than the tube.

To make matters worse my other filter in my QT is now rattling. Its a small aquatech made for a 5 gallon. It rattles for a few seconds as is its hitting a rock and slowing down but i took it apart and found nothing... The water level sinks for a second as it rattles and fills back up.

Ah!

The U does move side to side to adjust flow. But it should snap into the front clamp on the filter box and snap down into the top of the impeller cover.

The U does move side to side to adjust flow. But it should snap into the front clamp on the filter box and snap down into the top of the impeller cover.

ok good so that part is ok. im just going to call the company. I tried 3 times to mess with it and nothing changes

Solved the Problem! I think this is fairly common because the customer service rep knew what to do immeditely. (thanks black teles for the manual with the company name/number) The little metal rod inside the motor eventually wears away or gets skinnier. This causes the propeller to rattle against the sides because the rod gets loose. What i had to do was lightly hammer the rod down.

Filter is quiet, very quiet now. I assume this will eventually happen again in the future at that point i will need a new rod- these are replacable parts. I dont think it was supposed to happen this early on, with the filter being so new but i am happy to have a quiet room now. Next step is to get a better air stone/pump.

Solved the Problem! I think this is fairly common because the customer service rep knew what to do immeditely. (thanks black teles for the manual with the company name/number) The little metal rod inside the motor eventually wears away or gets skinnier. This causes the propeller to rattle against the sides because the rod gets loose. What i had to do was lightly hammer the rod down.

Filter is quiet, very quiet now. I assume this will eventually happen again in the future at that point i will need a new rod- these are replacable parts. I dont think it was supposed to happen this early on, with the filter being so new but i am happy to have a quiet room now. Next step is to get a better air stone/pump.

This is very good to know, Midnight. Thanks for following up with Hagen and letting us know :)

i should have said "we solved the problem" because it wasnt really me solving it alone. i probably would have bought a new filter without help from kokos

Great information :thumb: