Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dalek3

Emergency

Our house power is about to go out in the next 30 minutes so i need help fast! What can i do for my fish when the filter dies out? Do i need to be freaking out at all? how long can they survive without filtration? help help help please! Thanx!

Ok don't panic. Keep the media wet, that's all you can do.It'll be a day or two before the ammonia starts to show up as long as you don't feed them. Monitor the ammonia everyday and do a waterchange if necessary. If your tank has plants that will help. Don't worry! I'm sure your fish will be fine. I've gone through power outages and the fish were unfazed.

Edited by Calluna

I agree. Don't panic. Some people choose to throw the filter media into the tank, but I prefer to put them in a 5 gallon filled with fresh dechlorinated water. That way, I can replace the water in that bucket every few hours until the power goes back on.

(I also have battery operated air pumps for the tank and bucket.)

You can also buy a biological aquarium supplement, like the kinds you use when you start cycling a tank. I used Nutrafin Cycle, and immediately introduced my fish into a new tank; my Ammonia, Nitrates, and Nitrites have stayed at 0ppm for the past 4 days without a water change. That said, I would imagine it would work in an aquarium with an impaired biological filter.

Edited by Azlaier

Place your media in the tank. If you have a battery powered pump place the air stone my the media for circulation. If not you can scoop water out of the tank and pour it back in. Do this as often as you can. This will add surface movement and keep the tank from getting stagnant. You can also aerate the water with a spoon or beater before dumping it back in.

Okay powers back on :) i did some water changes and i was constantly pumping the water up with a hose but leading the other end of the hose back into the tank in order to aerate the water my fish are fine and dandy they probably didnt even know what was happening thanx guys!

Good work! I'm glad everyone was OK.

Good work! Make sure to check your parameters daily the next several days to verify that your cycle is intact :)

happy to hear everything is ok :) next time just leave everything alone, I was out of electricity for 5 days 2 winters ago, and all my fish and cycle survived just fine :) do not feed :)

If I'm worried about power outtages, I tend to clean the filters and do an extra water change. Short power outtages shouldn't be a problem, unless your tank already has problems.