Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
revchristinejday

Fancies And Comets In Same--very Large Tank?

I am very seriously considering a 240 gallon tank (4'X8' by 1' high) as a forever home for my three commons and then I thought, rather than putting the three fancies(1 moor, 1 oranda 1 ranchu) in the 50 gallon could they thrive in the 240 as well? I have to make sure that moor gets food right now and so the others could fend for themselves... Could it work?

Thanks

That would be great. Making sure the fancies get food is the only trick. Maybe feed every 4 feet (three locations) to give everyone a good chance.

I definitely think it could work. You'd have to make sure the moor and other visually challenged fish get their share of the food, but you'd have to do that if they were housed with other fancies. Fang and Kulukan are the two people whom I can think of immediately who have single tails with other goldfish. All are doing well.

I say it depends on the personality of the fish. My singletail couldn't be kept with the fancies. Even though my tank is 180 gallons, he was still too aggressive.

Sounds plausible in a large tank, however the only detail that might be a problem is the height of the tank. Your dimensions were 4' x 8' x 1' high. Commons when they get bigger can exceed 1'. This may be a problem in that they're also pretty hefty and muscular fish. My 8-10" comet when being fed in a 125 gal tank would tend to swim speedily to the top for food and flip and swim back down. Seems like a 1' tall tank might be a bit shallow in this case.

Sounds plausible in a large tank, however the only detail that might be a problem is the height of the tank. Your dimensions were 4' x 8' x 1' high. Commons when they get bigger can exceed 1'. This may be a problem in that they're also pretty hefty and muscular fish. My 8-10" comet when being fed in a 125 gal tank would tend to swim speedily to the top for food and flip and swim back down. Seems like a 1' tall tank might be a bit shallow in this case.

:bingo: I didn't even consider the height. Good call. My 11" Black Moor is about 7-8" tall with its fin extended.

Edited by Goldfish Chris

I'm guessing it could work,I would be concerned about the commons eating all the food to fast but if you stagger the feedings and make sure the fancy's are getting their share it would be a beautiful thing :)

My concern here aside from food, would be aggression quicker fish have a tendency to pick on slower fish. This may not be the case with your fish but I have seen it happen in the past.

I'd love to see a picture of this tank! I've never seen such a large tank that is only 1' tall! Interesting! Gotta see it!!!

Thanks for all your advice. My comets are not aggressive at all. (I worry more about the my ranchu Thomas Crammer!) So far I've been successful feeding the black moor (Thomas Moore) at the other end of the tank and placing the sinking pellets right in front of his mouth! I will have to build a stand for this tank--always an adventure, I will probably post photos (if I can figure out how to do so...) as the project progresses.

The tank has a sump system. I know I can't use the pump and bioballs as they were used for saltwater, Do you all have any recommendations about pumps?

Thanks again,

Chris

when i had a fancy w/my shubunkin, and even now w/other fish with him, i make sure he gets a mouthful of pellets, it keeps his mouth busy, THEN i add food to three areas of the tank :)

if u rinse the old saltwater bioballs, THAN why can't you use then in a fresh water tank?

I don't know. That's what someone who had saltwater said...can I?

i dont see y not. i add all sorts of stuff in my tanks. real sea shells from the ocean near by (calcium is good for the tank and ammonia balance, cations and anions and all that chem 101 crud) i put a plant from outside- pot and all in one tank with the plant raised so it's partly out of the water, branches from my oak tree outside for the two bristlenosed plecos etc. if it's a large tank u can surely make a wonderful contained ecosystem, just be sure to rinse the media etc. a little salt is no problem :)