Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
npila1

Possible Internal Bacteria Infection

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? <5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.2-8.3, KH=150 ppm, GH=150 ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7-7.2, KH=30 ppm, GH=30 ppm

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops

[*]Water temperature? 78

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 40 gallons, 2.5 months (1.5 months of that was a fishless cycle)

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? aquaclear 110, 500gph

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 1-2 times a week, 50%

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much? today, 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, 3-4 inches each

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day, omega pellets, omega flakes, krill, jumpstart, peas, other veggies

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.

Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Twinkle has has ragged fins/persistent slow fin rot for a while now but it has been stable for the past couple of weeks

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Twinkle has been less active than usual. She doesn't bottom sit, but there is occasional hovering. I also found two very long (longer than her) thin white poops that I suspect came from her. I have not seen any normal poops from her for the past week. She still has a great appetite though. She has also been spending a lot of time close to the surface. She does not look bloated, there is no pineconing, or anything like that. She just hasn't been herself the past couple of days, while Sparkle has been acting normal.

I'm worried that she may have a bacterial infection (especially because of the poop and the sudden decrease in activity). If I do decide to give her medicated food, do I need to give it to Sparkle too? There is a divider in the tank now, so I COULD only feed it to Twinkle, but I don't know if it's a better idea to treat Sparkle too as a precaution. Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

I would not go with medicated food just yet. A lot of times she can resolve things on her own. You can help her by keeping the water as clean as you can :)

That's the puzzling thing... I do at least one 50% wc every week and the water has been 0,0,0. The nitrates don't even get to 5 ppm by the time I do a wc. But of course I know there's a lot of other things in the water other than those I can test for.

Should I keep feeding her in the meantime?

I didn't mean to imply that you haven't been keeping your water clean :). I meant to keep it up :)

By all means please keep feeding. You might just fast for a day and then give her some peas :)

Oh I didn't think you were saying that. I just wonder how these bacterial infections come up in my tank, because usually the cause is bad water quality.

Anyway, I already tried the fasting and peas and she still hasn't made any poop (as far as I have seen), but I'll try that again, along with "regular" food.

Try her on some brocolli if the peas aren't doing the trick. Just zap in the microwave with a little tank water to soften it, and then make sure it cools before you feed it.

I thought the aquaclear 110 only gets 300 gph, I may be wrong but if that's the case you may want to up your filtration.

Just a suggestion/thought here, have you checked the expiration date on your test kit?

Hey, Maceo, the AC110 does 500gph max, so I think npila is ok for filtration :)

Try her on some brocolli if the peas aren't doing the trick. Just zap in the microwave with a little tank water to soften it, and then make sure it cools before you feed it.

I thought the aquaclear 110 only gets 300 gph, I may be wrong but if that's the case you may want to up your filtration.

Just a suggestion/thought here, have you checked the expiration date on your test kit?

Yeap, like alex said I'm sure that it does 500 gph. Also, my test kit is new and should be good for 4 more years (because you add 5 years to the manufacturing date on the bottles right?)

Yeap, like alex said I'm sure that it does 500 gph. Also, my test kit is new and should be good for 4 more years (because you add 5 years to the manufacturing date on the bottles right?)

The tests usually are good for about a year. I will need to purchase another one soon as well.

it could just be stress or digestive issue. like everyone said, I wouldn't medicate just now.

try feeding more small meals. like 3-4 times a day, bite sized meals. Sometimes my fish get thin poops if I don't feed them enough. Lots of veggies is good.

Can you also give us a quick summery on meds you have already used on the fish?

The tests usually are good for about a year. I will need to purchase another one soon as well.

Hm... are you sure about this? In another thread people told me that you add 5 years to the date on the bottles. So any bottles that end in "09" should be thrown out but those that end in "10" should still be good right?

Twinkle hasn't been medicated for the past 2 months but before that I did salt and maracyn/maracyn-two (not at the same time) for her fin rot. A while before that (about 6 months ago) she was treated with coppersafe for flukes.

Edit: Oh, I also did an HP dip when moving her to the new tank. I don't know if it counts as medicating, but I thought I'd mention it.

Edited by npila1

I haven't seen any more long thin white poops, but I actually haven't seen ANY poops from her for several days now. Sparkle still has nice chunky poops (green or brown depending on the food)

I haven't seen any more long thin white poops, but I actually haven't seen ANY poops from her for several days now. Sparkle still has nice chunky poops (green or brown depending on the food)

Not seeing poop is normal. I go for days without seeing poop from any of my fish. This usually just means that your filtration is doing its job, and the fish is healthy. (Healthy fish poop is usually in small enough chunks that are easily taken up by the filter.) You should only worry if it's showing signs of constipation or bloat :)

Thanks alex. She's not really bloated, but what exactly are the signs of constipation?

Thanks alex. She's not really bloated, but what exactly are the signs of constipation?

Look for long thick poop, possibly still attached to the fish. However, that could also be a sign of overfeeding. The fish could be bloated, but that's not limited to being constipated.