Sign in to follow this  
kiiarah

"new" Used Tank

7 posts in this topic

I have just begun leak testing the new 55 gallon tank and I wanted to get some advice about how fast to fill it up and how long to let it sit. I read on a different site to fill the tank 1/4 of the way each 24 hours to watch for leaks, but it seems like a leak at the bottom would be noticeable in less than 24 hours. It also seems like if the bottom 1/4 doesn't leak the water pressure on the rest of the tank will be less and less as it gets fuller. What I mean is the bottom quarter has to withstand the full weight of the water, the second lowest quarter only has to withstand 75% of the water pressure, and so on, with the top 1/4 only having 25% of the weight on it. Is this correct or is my thinking wrong? The reasoning I read behind filling it little by little is a crack in it would be more likely to only leak and not burst with less water pressure. Does it seem reasonable that if the lowest portion with the most stress on it isn't leaking at all I could up it to 50% and then do the final 50% all at once, or would that still be risky? The bottom 1/4 was filled over 12 hours ago and I see no signs of water around the base or on the wood stand. The sealant looks good still, so should I just fill it up the rest of the way and let it sit full for a couple days on continue 1/4 at a time? Last night I had a dream that I woke up to find the thing empty and a crack in the bottom. :krazy: I don't think I have ever been so relieved in my life as when I woke up this morning to find it as full as I left it lol.

The other question I had was about cleaning. I know the various cleaning methods, but this tank has blue silicone. It dawned on me yesterday that if the silicone is blue the tank has probably been treated for ich at some point in the past, thus staining the sealant. This could have been years ago or a week ago. The tank was at a thrift store so I have no way to get a history on it. My concern is that if the ich outbreak was within the past couple months, like if the outbreak killed all their fish and caused them to give up on it and donate the tank, there could still be parasites living dormant in it. It was empty when I bought it, but again, I don't know if it was empty for weeks or days, or even hours. :undecided: Right now it is out on the patio getting leak tested. My mom suggested keeping it outside for a few days to elevate the temperature (it has been over 100 lately) but it has been cooling off at night and the tank isn't in direct sunlight. Even still, I am not sure how long it would need to be out there in the heat empty to be safe. :idont Any suggestions would be great. I live in a small town and I don't think anywhere around here sells PP, but I am terrified of using bleach. The only things from it I will be using are the tank itself and the hood. I will be moving my own gravel, plants, and filters over so I don't need to sterilize anything small like that. Also, if I do need to bleach it to be sure it is clean, would I want to fill the whole thing and add 5.5 gallons of bleach, or fill it like 25% and swish the bleach solution around? In other words, does the bleach just need to wash over surfaces or actually sit in contact with them for a while to sanitize? Thank so much as always, you guys are a life-saver! :hug

I have just begun leak testing the new 55 gallon tank and I wanted to get some advice about how fast to fill it up and how long to let it sit. I read on a different site to fill the tank 1/4 of the way each 24 hours to watch for leaks, but it seems like a leak at the bottom would be noticeable in less than 24 hours. It also seems like if the bottom 1/4 doesn't leak the water pressure on the rest of the tank will be less and less as it gets fuller. What I mean is the bottom quarter has to withstand the full weight of the water, the second lowest quarter only has to withstand 75% of the water pressure, and so on, with the top 1/4 only having 25% of the weight on it. Is this correct or is my thinking wrong? The reasoning I read behind filling it little by little is a crack in it would be more likely to only leak and not burst with less water pressure. Does it seem reasonable that if the lowest portion with the most stress on it isn't leaking at all I could up it to 50% and then do the final 50% all at once, or would that still be risky? The bottom 1/4 was filled over 12 hours ago and I see no signs of water around the base or on the wood stand. The sealant looks good still, so should I just fill it up the rest of the way and let it sit full for a couple days on continue 1/4 at a time? Last night I had a dream that I woke up to find the thing empty and a crack in the bottom. :krazy: I don't think I have ever been so relieved in my life as when I woke up this morning to find it as full as I left it lol.

The other question I had was about cleaning. I know the various cleaning methods, but this tank has blue silicone. It dawned on me yesterday that if the silicone is blue the tank has probably been treated for ich at some point in the past, thus staining the sealant. This could have been years ago or a week ago. The tank was at a thrift store so I have no way to get a history on it. My concern is that if the ich outbreak was within the past couple months, like if the outbreak killed all their fish and caused them to give up on it and donate the tank, there could still be parasites living dormant in it. It was empty when I bought it, but again, I don't know if it was empty for weeks or days, or even hours. :undecided: Right now it is out on the patio getting leak tested. My mom suggested keeping it outside for a few days to elevate the temperature (it has been over 100 lately) but it has been cooling off at night and the tank isn't in direct sunlight. Even still, I am not sure how long it would need to be out there in the heat empty to be safe. :idont Any suggestions would be great. I live in a small town and I don't think anywhere around here sells PP, but I am terrified of using bleach. The only things from it I will be using are the tank itself and the hood. I will be moving my own gravel, plants, and filters over so I don't need to sterilize anything small like that. Also, if I do need to bleach it to be sure it is clean, would I want to fill the whole thing and add 5.5 gallons of bleach, or fill it like 25% and swish the bleach solution around? In other words, does the bleach just need to wash over surfaces or actually sit in contact with them for a while to sanitize? Thank so much as always, you guys are a life-saver! :hug

I am just bumping this once in hopes of getting some advice before I take to cleaning the tank tomorrow. :)

I would fill it all at once. Preferably in a spot where you don't mind if it leaks, like in a bathroom or outside.

I would fill it all at once. Preferably in a spot where you don't mind if it leaks, like in a bathroom or outside.

Really?! Awesome because I am super impatient, lol. How long would you suggest letting it sit full to check for leaks? Is 24 hours sufficient? :) I Just brought it up to 75% about four hours ago, so it sat 25% full for a day, and 50% full for about a day and a half. Also, since it is currently out on the apt. patio, do you think it would be safe to move it and the stand to the bathroom to clean and rinse and all that? I can't think of a way to rinse it well while it is outside since there is no hose connection or anything, and we can't dump the water off the porch. :/

Congrats on the great deal!

I think I read the same thing you did about filling it a quarter at a time to give more time for leaks to develop if they are there. But that takes longer and I can understand your wishing to hurry to get your new tank set up.

Good luck with the new set up.

mj

Congrats on the great deal!

I think I read the same thing you did about filling it a quarter at a time to give more time for leaks to develop if they are there. But that takes longer and I can understand your wishing to hurry to get your new tank set up.

Good luck with the new set up.

mj

Thanks MJ! I couldn't believe the price, I had to consciously mask my excitement when I asked them how much they wanted because I was afraid they would ask for more if they saw how much I wanted it. I just keep looking at it and imagining all the room the little ones will have to swim. ^_^ I figure it would be leaking now if it was going to, and also that the top quarter of the tank will have the least pressure on it. So in other words, if the bottom quarter is holding the weight just fine it should be safe to fill it the rest of the way. Still, I have heard that a leak that would be a slow drip at a quarter full can actually burst at completely full. Better safe than sorry I guess. Maybe I will give it until this evening to fill it all the way, that way it at least has 12 hours to leak if it is going to.

Good luck! I hope there are no leaks.

mj