Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wendy

Rog, Update Since Late Feb?

Hi all,

Well here's the scoop. I started out with Spot, Rog, and Goldie and Pepper. Spot the Red Cap (orange really) was bloated and she passed.

Rog was everyones favorite black tele with long flowing fins well he got tipsy bloated weak, tolerated various treatments but finally chose to euthanized him with clove oil. Thank heavens for clove oil, wow. Poor little Rog.

Rhinestone Cowboy was my boldly marked calico. He had a couple of names but you probably remember that last one. He always was a little robust behind the gils and correct to my suspicion he bloated, floated...and I euthanized him.

I still have my original wen lesscalico ranch Pepper, not a big fish so far at one and a half years and he looks exactly the same as far as markings go.

Goldie is my original long bodied Oranda he is doing Ok by visual inspection but hides a lot.

I got two new little ones, and they are doing well. It seems like if I ignore them they do better.

My old dog was euthanized late Feb and on Fat Tuesday we got a new pup from the shelter and that is the reason I have been gone. I am home schooling my canine problem child everyday so I am on a Rat Terrier forum, yeh I'm a traitor.

It's been hard in Central Texas to keep my 90 gal cool, our tap water is so hot you wouldn't believe it. The water pipe runs under a parking lot. I don't even want to do water changes... my aquarium is in the least cooled room.

So my fish have been good for a few months, knock on wood. Sorry to give you the bad news on Rog. Maybe I told you this back then.

Yeah, I remember about Rog. So sorry about Rhinestone Cowboy too :(

How warm does your water get? My tap water here is somewhere between 86 and 88. I'm honestly glad I don't have an A/C, so the water temperature normally is at about 80 to 82F. So I "only" need almost 5 pounds of ice when performing an 80% water change, to keep the temperature stable. Thank God for little Mexican convenient stores where you get 16lbs for $ 1.75. I use a whole bag each week for all my tanks.

You could additionally let water sit out over night in a few buckets or a large tub, and use it. Or freeze large bottles of water and put them in the tank while refilling, so the temperature doesn't fluctuate too much. Then put the bottles back in the freezer until the next water change.

I am thinking about doing that myself too.

Sorry to hear about your loses :(

I'm happy to see you back, but I'm sorry it is with so much sad news.

It's been hard in Central Texas to keep my 90 gal cool, our tap water is so hot you wouldn't believe it. The water pipe runs under a parking lot. I don't even want to do water changes... my aquarium is in the least cooled room.

I'm in Palm Desert, CA where the average summertime temperature is 107-114. Every single day from June to September/October. So, I totally get the unbearable heat thing.

So, first off, I have a 55 gallon tank that has a double piece of hinged glass top. Long front, long back. The tank has a center support, which, for plexiglass, you'd need to have so it wouldn't sag. I removed the long back piece of glass and had a plexiglass cover custom made according to my design. It has notches in the back corners to accomodate all of the cords and tubing, but the big feature is that I had two holes cut in the top the size of this type of fan with four holes for screws that correspond to the screw holes in the fans. I mounted one fan on each end of the cover using plastic screws and nuts so they wouldn't rust. I wish I'd taken pics of it when it was made. duh... and worse, I took it off and totally tore it down just last week to clean all the mineral deposits off of it and didn't even take pics then. Well, maybe someday. Anyway, having this system keeps my tank water temperature at a constant 73-74 degrees. The temperature of the water out of the tap is 86+ degrees.

Which comes to the other cooling issue. I hated pumping that hot, hot water into my tank, especially when my fans keep the water in it so cool.

Now, I'm an ice cream freak. Can't get enough of it! But, I'm also poor. So, I buy those 1 gallon buckets of ice cream. Not the greatest ice cream, but it will do. Best part of it is that, after one is done scarfing all the ice cream, you're left with a wonderful, 1 gallon plastic bucket that has innumerous uses. Okay, back to goldfish and hot water.

I took two of these gallon buckets, put a few drops of dechlorinator in them and then filled them with water, not quite to the top to allow for expansion, then I freeze them. I pull 'em out for water changes and they cool the water going into the tank to a lovely 72 degrees, and even more perfect, these two blocks of ice last almost to the drop of what it takes to refill my tank. I found that the ice really doesn't do much when left in the plastic, so I let my ice melt slightly and take it out of the bucket so it can come in direct contact with the water.

So, there are things you could do to beat this god-forsaken heat......

So good to see you back, Texana! I'm sorry about Rog and your others, though. Roger Moore was my all-time favorite fish name, hands-down.

Rat terriers can be a handful, and I bet yours is just as spunky as they should be. Enjoy!!!

Aww Texana :( So Sorry for your losses :( Nice to see you back again though :)

I had a Jack Russel before so know what your feeling with your rat terrier ;) lol

Thanks for the replies!

I am freezing a container right now- for next week I guess. My freezer is full of people food so I can't really see me making enough ice...but I am taking stab at it. I moved my Bettas back to the bedroom so I could have space to aim a round fan ( about 18 inches ) at my big tank. I have thought about buying a bunch of buckets and letting them cool.

Shockingly the tank temp might be 78 right now. Fans are good. Now I just have hot tap water...

This is the year I decide if I even want to continue supporting the goldfish industry. We'll see by Winter ...if I can keep this batch healthy...

I have the largest Rat Terrier, erect ears, nat bob tail, you have ever seen! She is wonderful and we are loving our "project dog". She was labeled "willful" by the foster home before she was even 8 weeks old. She was bottle fed supposedly the mother, a stray, abandoned the pups. Good thing I am a dog trainer:D One really cool thing is my husband contributes to her daily activities. I've got the early morning shift everyday and he helps out later with her entertainment and activity.

I still have my light aqua colored plakat male, dragon Betta named Mohawk and my little red female, named ...uh...um...she always reminds me of lipstick so I think she needs a new name, Maybelline!

I also still have my "pacman' frog but I will not buy anymore exotic pets.

Fans really do make an amazing difference! My fans drop my tank temp a good 10 degrees.

You have to open or take off your cover when you set a fan to blowing across the water, so what's going to help even more now is to make sure as much of the top is covered as possible to hold the cool air in (and keep dust, bugs and contaminants out). Even if you just cover it with a big piece of saran wrap.

And, also, it will help if you can tape a piece of fiber floss to the back of the fan where it sucks in the air. This will help filter out any airborne dust, bugs or other contaminants that might otherwise get blown into the tank.