Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
c_ramkalawan

Help- White Circles Around Eyes

Hi,

I tried without success to get some photos this morning but Mr. Tangerine wouldn't stay still long enough and I was late for work. The rings around his eyes are the same from yesterday. A bit smaller than they were initially but no change since. I am continuing to maintain the salt at 3% and doing regular water changes.

I hope i'm not being impatient but I hate to see him sick and i'm just wondering how soon I should be expecting to see more results or when/if it is necessary to move to meds? A lot of pet stores aren't open on the weekend so I just want to make sure I have everything I need on hand..

I honestly don't have a lot of experience with pop eye so I won't chime in on the treatment, but as for the photos you could very gently scoop him into your hand and hold him sideways near the water surface to take pics....unless he's a crazy thrasher, in which case that doesn't tend to work :P

Hi,

I tried without success to get some photos this morning but Mr. Tangerine wouldn't stay still long enough and I was late for work. The rings around his eyes are the same from yesterday. A bit smaller than they were initially but no change since. I am continuing to maintain the salt at 3% and doing regular water changes.

I hope i'm not being impatient but I hate to see him sick and i'm just wondering how soon I should be expecting to see more results or when/if it is necessary to move to meds? A lot of pet stores aren't open on the weekend so I just want to make sure I have everything I need on hand..

In the past I've seen most all cases of popeye treated with clean water and salt. It takes a little time so unless he's not going down hill, stay the course and give the water and salt some time to work. It's hard I know but time is on your side here since he has no other symptoms :)

I just want to point out that in the first pic, there also seems to a spot of the left pelvic fin also.

I just want to make sure - since I didn't see it actually stated anywhere - is there a cycled filter on his QT tank?

What's your water reading right now?

Hi,

There is a cycled filter on the tank

Ammonia Level?0

Nitrite Level?0

Nitrate level?5

The spot on the pelvic pin is actually a dirty spot on the aquarium glass.

I think the rings around his eyes are getting bigger. :o

The spot on the pelvic pin is actually a dirty spot on the aquarium glass.

Oh, good! :)

Are you guys sure there is nothing else I can do? I feel so helpless and he looks so miserable sitting in the corner not really swimming about...

Hi,

This morning the circles have almost doubled in size... he's definitly getting worse.

Please advise what meds might be helpful =[

Or how about I try the epson salts instead?

At this point it seems he has something else going on internally. I would get him on some antibiotics if I were you. What do you have available where you are located? Do you have a vet you know? Look for Metronidazole, or Baytril even.

I have a fish who started with pop eye and now has been living with dropsy for 8months. So maybe the meds are a good idea.

Ok, I think the best thing for you to do now, is a course of Maracyn I and Maracyn II used together they will most likely kill whatever it is in the water causing his popeye. I don't see any reason to think this is internal.

Give the Maracyns a try.

I think it is internal because you often see dropsy linked with Popeye. It is the same type of symptom that shows that there is excess liquid build up in the body which needs to be evacuated somewhere - in this case the eyes.

Right but if the fish isn't pineconing and is still eating I think that Maracyn I and II used in combination will help. Used in combination they will kill both gram positive and negative bacteria and I have had great success using this combo in the past.

It's my general working method to go to the least harsh most effective method first and then move to the antibiotic foods and such if the fish is in serious distress, in this case he has popeye and no other symptoms so the Maracyn in my opinion is a good route.

Hi,

The only things I have access to are Jungle fungus clear and parasite clear as well as some sort of yellow powder (I can't remember the name binox maybe?).

As an alternative to metronidazole I have used Flagyl to treat dropsy fish in the past with success.

Which of these do you recommend? If it is the flagyl what dosage do I use on the 10 gallon?

Hi,

The only things I have access to are Jungle fungus clear and parasite clear as well as some sort of yellow powder (I can't remember the name binox maybe?).

As an alternative to metronidazole I have used Flagyl to treat dropsy fish in the past with success.

Which of these do you recommend? If it is the flagyl what dosage do I use on the 10 gallon?

I thought flagyl was only used as a parasite killer. I am not familiar with it but I will see if there are some others who can advise you a little better given your med restrictions.

If your mystery powder is indeed bionox that might be your best bet here but I would hold off until we can get some other opinions.

I thought you might have issues with meds. I also need to go to the pharmacy for many things here.

I don't know what Maceo things. But I have found the Metro much more efficient and less stressful in food that in the water. I just make some gel food and add it in there. Otherwise you can soak the fish food in it and give it to the fish, but it is less accurate.

Has this fish already had dropsy before?

@ Maceo - I believe Metro was first used as parasite killer but now used for bacterial issues too.

Yes Metro is more effective in food, as it only really works when you get in inside the fish and suspended in water it doesn't get administered well

is it japanese yellow powder?

Hi,

Mr. Tangerine has never had any illnesses before.

The yellow powder I have confirmed is Binox.

About 2 years ago I had a fish with dropsy and I was advised that by Lupin to use the flagyl in combination with epson salts which did work on him as well as two other fish who got dropsy subsequently.

I can soak the food in the flagyl if that is the better option or use the binox?

the popeye is often a bacterial infection.. if the salt has not helped, then frederica is correct.. we need to look at treatment to be taken orally.

Flagyl = Metronidazole

MetroMeds = Metronidazole

these meds will not affect the filter cycle and can be used with aquarium salt or epsom (i vote epsom as there is fluid retention at a dose of 1/4teaspoon per 10US gallons dissolved in tank water prior to adding)

Maracyn is also affective, but more for external bacterial issues. can help with mild internal bacteria, but the popeye has been present for too long.. also Maracyn will kill the filter cycle. so if you choose this, you will need to save cycled filter media (and keep it alive) if you are treating in a main tank.

as frederica said, this is similar to the symptom dropsy, both popeye and dropsy are symptoms of an internal bacteria.

if you have access to MetroMeds, i suggest you begin treatment. if you have access to Flagyl by a doctor's prescription, you will need to weigh your fish to find it's true weight. basically, a. grab a container, fill it with tank water (allow enough room for the fish to be included later) put that onto the scales and weigh it. write down the weight of the container with the tank water. b. then add the fish, write down the weight of the container with the tank water and fish. subtract a from b and you have the true weight of your fish..

this is for the flagyl only (as it is 100% metronidazole) here is the chart for you to work out how much to mix with gel food in order to get the correct dose per cube:

There is a evidence that a single oral treatment with metronidazole may be as effective as 3 water-borne treatements.

a. feed 25mg metronidazole/kg (=11mg/lb) of body weight for 5-10 days. then reassess clinical condition, and retreat if needed. this is equivalent to a feed that has 0.25% metronidazole and is fed at a rate of 1% of body weight/day.

b. Feed 100mg metronidazole/kg (=45mg/lb) of body weight for 3 days. this is equivalent to a feed that has 1% metronidazole and is fed at a rate of 1% of body weight/day

c. Soak brine shrimp in a 1% metronidazole solution in a refrigerator for 3 hours. feed once

hope this helps.

I would feed the flagyl if it were my fish

Thanks guys for all the information. I can get flagyl OTC here.

Will update you on the progress.

Hi Guys,

Just an update Mr. Tangerine has now been on the treatment for 9 days and his eyes have completely cleared up about 3 days ago. Is it ok to stop tomorrow when he reaches 10 days of treatment?