Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mary-beth

Is This Fin Rot?

Hello Koko's people! This is my first post, sadly, it's because I have a problem and want to make sure I'm handling it right.

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.8

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.2

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API freshwater master test kit - drops

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 1200g pond, running since June 15th

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 350gph creating circulation and 200gph waterfall (I have big plans for a 100g home-made filter, but no money)

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Guessing 10% per week (we remove water to water the garden then replace it)

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much? 3 days ago, about 5%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 8 fantails ranging from 5" to 2"

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Clear Pond Chloramine Buster

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Dainichi Goldfish - small sinking, once a day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? (hospital tank) added Pimafix and began salting

[*]List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank.

Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.

Treated with 3 rounds of prazipro during her quarantine in March of this year.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? 80% of her tail is missing. There is some grayness along the edges where tail used to be, and also one little black streak. She's missing about 6 scales.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She's behaving normally.

This poor fish was purchased in an assortment from an online source. When I received her she was missing half of her tail, but it looked like it had been damaged, not caused by illness. I quarantined them and it grew back quickly, but it was shaped very strangely so she was named "Snaggle-Tail". It's sadly ironic now. After Q-tine she was in one of my 55g with a couple of other fantails for 2 months. She was added to the pond, which is VERY heavily planted, and did great until last week when she disappeared :S. I wish I knew what happened to her! I thought a Heron must have found us. Last night she was there when I went out to feed them. It was pretty dark at the time so I didn't see the tail, besides I was jumping up and down with happiness lol. Today I went into the pond to pick out pine straw. When she came over to me I thought her tail looked weird, so I picked her up to have a look at her and was shocked!

I have her in a 5g hex tank because that was all I had. I have a 10g hospital tank but it's full of fry atm. I've begun salting the tank (1tsp per gallon so far) and added a dose of pimafix. I don't know if that's right though. I'm starting to wonder if I should have used the pimafix.

Please help. If I'm doing everything wrong just tell me and I'll fix it!

016.jpg

013.jpg

This last pic is the 10 fry/hospital tank with pond water in it. The test was done on water straight out of the pond.

I would like to know if there's anything I can do to lower my ph too please.

020.jpg

The pond water is GREEN not yellow like it looks in the picture. Sorry.

I have to run out the door soon, so I don't have the time, at the moment, to really help with diagnosing WHAT, exactly, may have caused it, but the foremost important thing right now is to treat it. But, just quickly, as it's also missing scales, my first guess is that it's been through some sort of trauma.

Quote: "PimaFix can be used with pond salt and formalin-based anti-parasitic treatments."

So, I don't think you should have a problem with using salt and Pimafix together. It's just whether you really need to as they both are going to do the same thing.

With only having a 5 gallon qt, you need to test your water frequently, I'd say even twice a day and do perhaps, 100% water changes, to ensure you keep your water absolutely pristine so this fish's tail will heal.

As long as it's given healthy conditions and is safe from "attack" and as long as the condition isn't genetic, the tail should, albeit slowly, grow back.

I would also strongly encourage you to put a securely fastened covering over the pond that can't be pulled off or otherwise accessed by critters, flying or land-bound.

Oh! Also, I might venture to suggest that, from the pictures, it actually looks like you might have about .25 ppm ammonia..... which is good and fine. After two months, you should have some sort of reading of something and that level of ammonia is very safe.

Oh! Also, I might venture to suggest that, from the pictures, it actually looks like you might have about .25 ppm ammonia..... which is good and fine. After two months, you should have some sort of reading of something and that level of ammonia is very safe.

Thank you Lynda! I think I'll stop using the pimafix and only use salt.

Snaggle-Tail was spending a lot of time at the top of the tank so I added an airstone. The only "decor" is a small live plant attached to a rock. Come to think of it I should probably take that out before I add the next dose of salt. Thought I should probably add that all of the other fish in the pond are fine.

Seems you're heading in the right direction but I'm curious as to why you would want to lower your pH?

Seems you're heading in the right direction but I'm curious as to why you would want to lower your pH?

Isn't it too high?

Yes, Pimafix, usually used in conjunction with Melafix, is a great product, but when used with salt, is pretty much redundant. And since salt is less expensive and you will probably need to treat for quite a while, the salt is just a more logical way to go.

Make sure you watch for other signs of illness, such as red streaks or spots, bumps, etc., just in case it may be something else, but, with all the info, it sure seems like the little guy just got caught on something in the pond. The other option could be that, especially since he came without part of his tail, and I'd like to kick that breeder/shipper's butt for sending a paying customer a damaged fish, what schmucks, it could just be a relapse of that situation, but regardless of what and why, fact remains, if you keep him nice and healthy, like I said, he should heal and be fine.

Oh, and given that he has been having problems for, apparently, quite some time, it may be to his benefit to either be a permanent indoor fish or at least a long-term temporary indoor fish.

Edited by Lynda Von G

Could something have gotten to your fish like a racoon or a bird or something of the like? I've never seen such prominent fin rot like that in just one fin, I would think it would be effecting other fins at this point.

Whatever happened to the fin, it is healing, as evidenced by the very clean edge without any indications of infection. It will take some time for her to fully heal. As said above, the 5 gallon is too small to serve as QT, and even if you change the water multiple times a day, it is not ideal. I would move her to something bigger. Perhaps you can get a 10+ gallon Rubbermaid tub?

She's cute! :)

Isn't it too high?

If the fish are thriving I wouldn't mess with it. It can get complicated and stressful for the fish if you try to lower it and try to keep it consistent.

If the fish are thriving I wouldn't mess with it. It can get complicated and stressful for the fish if you try to lower it and try to keep it consistent.

I agree with Martha. Although 8.8 is a tad high, as long as it remains stable, I would leave it alone. The key to happy healthy goldfish to me has always been stability.

The story would be different if your tank were lower (like in the 6.x). Then we'd want to raise it. :)

Yes indeed, I've decided she'll remain inside and get moved to the 55g again when she's healthy and healed. She's getting a more respectable name too.

We're thinking "Commander Shepard".

I suppose it's possible a raccoon got to her, but fairly unlikely. The pond's within our fenced in backyard with our dogs. It has another fence around it to keep the dogs out. Heron's are more likely. I'll be building a net barrier this next week.

What I think happened was she got stuck under a rock. I have potted plants with river pebbles in them and then large rocks on top of those. I bet she got stuck while foraging. I'll take those big rocks out tomorrow.

Also, the fry and Commander Shepard will be swapping tanks as soon as I get a chance. I knew goldfish pooped a lot, but holy guacamole! I'm siphoning poop out of this tank every 30 minutes! I'll never take my Aqua Clears for granted again! lol

Whatever happened to the fin, it is healing, as evidenced by the very clean edge without any indications of infection. It will take some time for her to fully heal. As said above, the 5 gallon is too small to serve as QT, and even if you change the water multiple times a day, it is not ideal. I would move her to something bigger. Perhaps you can get a 10+ gallon Rubbermaid tub?

She's cute! :)

Oh geez! I have several 20g tubs sitting empty! Thanks for kick starting my brain. :D

I'm glad to hear that the edge looks good, too.

Commander Shepard was moved to a 15g plastic bin today, with a topfin 60 (turned way down) for filtration. I stole a couple of handfuls of ceramic rings from one of my aquaclear 110's and crammed them down the front of it. She's much more happy! I'm adding a pic of her set-up and a better picture of her. The color of the tail is accurate here.

Thank you Koko's people!

002.jpg

006.jpg

Awesome! Looks great :)

I have been very worried about Commander Shepard. She stopped eating. She would zoom around her tank for 10 seconds and then stop and sink to the bottom and gasp for breath. Then she would lay there for hours barely moving at all. And to REALLY confuse me, her tail was looking better every day. It turns out she was having a bad reaction to salt. The difference in her from 48 hours ago (when I started removing the salt) is AMAZING! She's almost completely back to her old self! I just happened to read a thread on here about salt sometimes causing lock-jaw like effects and that's what made me decide to try removing it. Shepard and I thank you again, Koko's!

013-1.jpg

How odd! I am glad Shepherd is doing ok now! Just out of curiosity what type of salt were you using?

I started off by using up what I had left of this - My link. Then I started a box of morton pickling salt.

Thought I'd give an update on Commander Shepard.

She's doing really well. Her tail is growing back nicely. It's not a nice shape, but it does the job.

Here are her and her tank-mates during their water change yesterday.

From left to right - Blue Eyes White Dragon In Defense Mode, Blulululululululu, Sandal, and Commander Shepard.

007.jpg

Glad to hear the tail is growing back. :)

By the way your fish are cute and I love their names.

Oh, wow, what an improvement! You did an excellent job :)

:Congrats:

Edited by dnalex

Interesting thread, beautiful fish,

- and you did a fantastic job with the Commander!

Congratulations on your success!

I hope you will continue to post at Koko's!