Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robisa666

New Fishy Family Member!

Please can you help, I don't really know much about different Goldfish breeds but would like to add one or two to my tank.

We have had 2 fish killed recently by an evil pleco (who has been removed). My favorite goldfish, Old Man Bob, was killed today ... he was 14 years old and beautiful. I am looking for a glorious beautiful eyecatching fish to add to my family. Could you recommend any?

If anyone has any questions please ask!

Fish.jpg

Could you tell us about your set up (tank size, filtration, how many and what types of fish)? It would be remiss of us not to know that before making any suggestions. :)

I'm sorry about your recent loss. I've also lost goldfish to a murderous pleco before, even though the pleco was a more peaceful type. :(

RIP Old Man Bob!

Could you tell us about your set up (tank size, filtration, how many and what types of fish)?

I can try my best! I'm no expert.

The tank size is aprox 96 Litres, it has a large black filter installed in the back of it. (I will attatch a picture)

In the tank we now have 5 fish (the pleco has been removed)

Two of them are Black Moors, two are common goldfish (I think) and one is confusing, I can't seem to find what he is! His picture below is 'Duke'.

IMG_0775.jpg

Fish.jpg

Hello, thank you for providing the info.

Based on the general guidelines for stocking goldfish, fancy tail types (such as the black moors and the red cap oranda duke) each requires 38L of water and single tails like the common each require 76L of water. So, in total, the five fish you have will require 266L to ensure the good health and optimal growth for the entirety of their lives. As you only have 96L at this time; I don't think it would be wise to to add more fish, as overstocking will result in stressed, unhealthy and stunted fish.

Would you consider upgrading to a larger tank?

Oh I forgot to mention that! Sorry!

Yes, I have purchased another tank that is a little over twice the size. Ideally I wanted to seperate the Black Moors & Common Goldfish, and in the other tank have Duke and some others.

I think that is a great idea! While certainly single tails can definitely co-exist with fancies, it's probably better for the fancies to separate them. However, there are several forum members here who continue to successfully keep these types together.

I think the loss of Old Man Bob is making me want more fish! 14 years of looking at something beautiful is a long time.

I think I may seperate the fish how I would like them, and then in time introduce new fish depending on tank/fish sizing?

What do you think?

Absolutely! Just make sure to consider the stocking guidelines. :)

Please post anytime you need help or just to discuss things :)

Welcome!

remember also that plecos get very large so he will also need a large tank of his own, unless you know someone who might take him

remember also that plecos get very large so he will also need a large tank of his own, unless you know someone who might take him

The Pleco is going!!

What I would do first, is use the new tank as a qt beforw splitting anyone up.

I'm not doing anything yet, i'm leaving it a while. 2 of my fish have died in 2 weeks, I need to make sure there is no infection. Also my littlest Black Moor 'Fe' and my common Goldfish 'G.L.F' have badly damaged tails and fins from the Pleco. I need to see if they are going to get better first.

How big is the new tank? Can you measure it possibly? Also what type of filtration will you run on it. It may be a good idea to start doing even a fishless cycle on the new tank while the injured fish recover. Hopefully, by the time they fully recover, the new tank will be ready to stock. Remember, its always better to understock, less stress on the fish and less stress on the owner. :D

Good Luck :D

It seems now I have no need for the other tank, the two worst off fish died in the night. They were struggling to move before I went to bed.

I have 3 left. Their fins arn't badly damaged so they will be ok.

Thanks for all your help guys. :(

I'm sorry for your losses. :(

You said you bought another tank, correct? Why don't you move your current goldies into that tank? More space is always better for goldies. :) You can always use the old tank for quarantine or just as an emergency. You can even turn it into a small tropical tank :D

No, the fish have plenty of room in their current tank now so they will stay there. The new tank will either be sold or used as Tropical.

So you have 3 goldies left?

You are overstocked by a little bit.

Well for 3 fancy tails, you will need a tank that is 114 liters

and for single tails 228 liters

So you would need something between 114 liters and 228 liters.

And since your tank is only 96 litres, It would be wise to use the larger tank. Considering that they(the goldies) will get bigger :)

And since you said the new tank is a little over twice the size of the current tank, I suggest that you use that. I think that other members will agree.

Many tropicals would be happy in the 96 liter tank. And your goldies would be MUCH happier in the larger tank :D

Edited by Monkeyzero

My Goldies arnt going to grow any bigger and they are happy (if not looking a little lost) so they can stay in there. :5:

:unsure:

You do realize that goldfish get really big. And from the pictures you posted, they do have some growing up to do. Even a little. A bigger tank is always better. Any member would agree. :)

Being overstocked makes your tank prone to ammonia spikes. These are really bad and can harm your fish. Along with that, the fish can get stunted. Their immune system also gets weaker and it makes them much more prone to illness. It is stressful to both the fish and the owner.

We are only trying to help you improve the lives of your fish. :D

I have been told that my fish would be fully grown at the age of about 2 years. They are now age ranging from 4 years to 6 years.

I'm getting different information from this page, pet stores and information online.

That's odd. Your fish are small for their age. They probably are stunted. They will grow in a larger tank.

From the forum, I feel that the information is more exact, since its the experience and knowledge of many people as opposed to a pet store or some random online site.

They used to be in a larger tank, they must just be small?

That's odd. Your fish are small for their age. They probably are stunted. They will grow in a larger tank.

From the forum, I feel that the information is more exact, since its the experience and knowledge of many people as opposed to a pet store or some random online site.

Agreed. If it were me, I'd use the bigger tank, make sure I have appropriate filtration, and do big water changes each week. This will ensure happy & healthy fish, who will grow bigger :)

Agreed. If it were me, I'd use the bigger tank, make sure I have appropriate filtration, and do big water changes each week. This will ensure happy & healthy fish, who will grow bigger :)

Small fish aren't usually healthy. Well when it comes to goldfish who are supposed to be larger in size that is. Move them into the larger tank asap :)

I feel i'm not being listened too here ...

My fish were in a large tank for 3 years, I have read about "fish capacity" etc and they had more than enough room in that tank. They doubled in size the first year (although very slowly) and then no growth for the other two years of being in the big tank. Due to a tank fault the fish were downsized to the 96, they are not stunted. They're just little.