Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robisa666

Newbie Needing Help... And Fast!

hi Robisa,

truth of the matter is, what you and your husband may consider to be "fine" is not always the case with what we consider to be "fine".

for instance, there are only few treatments that we can offer you to repair fins. if they are used, and there is ammonia in the tank, you will find that the treatments suggested will increase the levels of ammonia and actually kill the rest of your fish rather than help them.

i guess what i am trying to say, is without the correct information requested by myself earlier, we'll only be second guessing and it's just not something we like to do here. so please, have your husband retest the water and post the information for:

PH:

Ammonia

nitrAtes

nitrItes

if possible

KH

GH

Ok, this isn't helpful at all. I'll go and ask the pet store.

whilst you're there, take a sample of your tank water and have them test it. write down the results for the questions above and we can compare information. we don't often trust information an LFS has to offer. it's because of their advice that we've all ended up here essentially.

Ok, this isn't helpful at all. I'll go and ask the pet store.

The same pet store that told you it was ok to put the pleco in with the goldfish?

Our members have years of experience with keeping goldfish and we're only trying to help. I'm sorry you don't think we're helping, but the truth is we can't recommend a treatment without knowing your water conditions as different factors can affect how different treatments work.

Plecostamus.

Huge. Hideous. Useless. Dangerous.

Man, I do not understand why people want to give up precious water space for these...things. I do not get it.

:twocents I guess it's a matter of taste, although I suspect it's mostly "helpful" pet store folks who convince everyone that a pleco is some sort of janitor.

Robisa, I am so sorry about your fish, particularly Bob. :hug I just lost my beloved Olivia too. It hurts.

But truly, the peeps here just want to help you and your fish, dear. Most of these folks are really, really nice. You've already been complimented on your fishkeeping - that Bob was so old is a testament to that!

I think they would probably recommend salt for your fin damage. It's usually safe -

but not if you have ammonia in your water.

This is a friendly community with a lot of experienced folks. I truly think you'd be better off listening to them rather than some high school kid at the pet shop.