Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Robisa666

Newbie Needing Help... And Fast!

I have a large fish tank with 6 goldfish (varied species) and a Pleco. I have been told I could probably fit another 4 fish in there happily. They have more than enough room to swim and are fed and cleaned regularly. they are perfect happy, healthy fish ... except for my Pleco.

He and one other fish are new to the tank, and the staff at the pet store said that he was able to go in with coldwater fish just fine. He has been in there for about 3 weeks, swimming about and sucking happily! The past few days he has gone on a fish eating rampage. He has already killed one fish and has now started on the others.

One in particular is very badly hurt, he is called Old Man Bob ... he is a large, very long tailed goldfish and he is 14 years old. He was attacked last night and his tail has nearly gone, along with his fins. He is still breathing (just), but will not swim away from my hand if i try and encourage him to move. He is laying on his side in the bottom of the tank, not moving but breathing.

He is a very precious fish to me, does anyone have any tips on how to help him?

Please help :(

P.S The Pleco was removed immediatly.

Edited by Robisa666

hi there and welcome to koko's. sorry to hear about the troubles with your fish. it's really good you removed the pelco, for this reason most of us recommend that they are not kept with goldfish, however some have successfully done so.

you can help us assist you with more accuracy if you can make a post for your fish with concern in the disease diagnosis or 911 forums on the site and answer all the questions in the white box. posting pictures will help too.

good luck

Old Man Bob just died. :( 14 Years Old. Feel like throwing Pleco against wall.

oh hun. i am so sorry. i can understand how frustrating this is. it's not the pelco's fault, he's just doing what they do. like if you put small goldies with big goldies, small ones will most likely get eaten.

i am so sorry that bob died, 14 years in your loving care speaks for itself. i would have to say that you are a fantastic aquarist to have kept him healthy for so long. we've all made mistakes along the way. i really am sorry that bob didn't make it.

how are the other fish? have they been attacked by the pelco too?

can i ask, was bob feeling under the weather at all? ie, was he becoming slower, feeling ill? bottom sitting more than normal? sometimes pelcos strike when a fish is showing these signs. even other goldies are known to peck at other fish when that fish is not feeling the best.

Thank you for your sympathy.

Bob was very healthy, no illness or anything. He was just as fast and hungry as all the others! And he was definatly the biggest at 3 inches (6 1/2 inches tail included).

All my other fish are bigger than 1 inch, the Pleco is probably about 2-3cm! Three of my other fish have been attacked, I will try and take pictures of them and show you the damage, they seem ok but the damage on one of the fishes tails is pretty bad.

Not sure what to do.

ok. that would be good.. do you test water at all?

ie, can you post water parameters for

PH:

ammonia:

nitrAtes:

nitrItes:

KH:

GH:

also what size tank and how many fish?

this iformation may help us to determine if there was a water quality issue, sometimes our fish behave differently when something's up with the water or lack of space.

My husband tests the water and says all is fine. I should know the size of the tank but I have forgotten! I will post a picture of that too.

We originally had 8 fish.

Old Man Bob (Deceased by Evil Pleco)

Duke

Be

Fe

G.L.F

Fish (Named by my son)

Schuh (Deceased by Evil Pleco)

Evil Pleco

Fish.jpg Edited by Robisa666

IMG_0775.jpg

Fish Tank, Old Man Bob is in the bottom left hand corner.

Is there any way you could retun the pleco to the pet store? Sadly many people still sell these fish to goldfish owners and tell them that they will 'be fine' when in fact things often end badly, as they have for you :(

As Stakos said it's not the pleco's fault, but he definitly can't stay in your tank.

Is there any way you could retun the pleco to the pet store? Sadly many people still sell these fish to goldfish owners and tell them that they will 'be fine' when in fact things often end badly, as they have for you

I have contacted the Pet Store and told them about my issue with the Pleco, they have said that they will not take it back as they do not know if there is any disease or infection in my tank due to the Pleco killing my fish. I nearly went mad! I asked them what to do with the Pleco to which they replied ... "Get a new tank." :madrant:blowup:

Ugh, that's too bad. Can you place an ad in the classifieds to find it a new home? In the meantime I would set up a plastic tub or very large bucket for it with at the very least an airstone, but preferably a filter as well.

I would hate for it to go to a new home in case it killed their fish as well.

I'm totally stuck with an evil fish. :(

The fish really is not evil at all, it's just doing what plecos do.

If you put a cat in a room with a bunch of mice, would you consider it evil for eating the mice? ;)

I know it's easy to feel anger towards it now. I've experienced the same, a pleco once inflicted horrible injuries on my fish before I knew that they shouldnt' be kept with goldies. I was able to find mine a new home locally.

Common plecos are fine with many other species, especially smaller, faster ones. There are plenty of experienced fish keepers who keep and love them. I'm sure you could find it a good home.

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

I have been informed that my brother inlaw has a large tank of Catfish and Leporacanthicus Triactis (which i'm told is also a Pleco) so it can go and live there.

Be careful because you are very overstocked. It might not be the pleco after all.

It is the Pleco.

These fish have lived together for 6 years. They are perfectly happy.

The Pleco and a another fish were added 3 weeks ago and the Pleco went mad. He killed the fish he was added with, battered my littlest Black Moor and killed Old Man Bob. He was segrogated at the pet store but I thought nothing of it.

I agree that the Pleco is probably responsible for the physical damage. But if you didn't quarantine your new fish, they very likely could have brought in bacteria and/or parasites that have also made your other fish less healthy and susceptible to disease and injury.

I understand that you think your tank is 'fine' but when new fish are added there is a lot of potential for the system to get thrown out of whack. If you are interested in our advice, please post your water parameters, etc. :)

The two new fish were quarantined. Every thing was done as instructed ... but it just didn't work. :(

Regular plecos and goldies don't work together. And very few people realize plecos can get even two feet long. I would up your water change routine. How often do you change your water? How big is your tank?

Sorry to hear of your losses and welcome to Kokos.

I change my water 25% every 2 weeks. My Tank is 96 Litres.

Everything is done properly, I think the Pleco just didn't get on with my other fish. Every fish has been battered (some worse than others) I'm not sure if they will survive. They seem ok at the moment but their tails/fins are pretty cut up.

Torn fins are also a sign of stress and disease. We recommend water changes be done once a week at least. It would really help to know your water parameters.

My husband tests the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate using the test kit and he said the level is o.7ppm. (I really don't know much about this?)

The torn fins in my fish case is from the Pleco latching onto them, I have witnessed this and so I am sure there is unlikely to be another reason.

I questioned this with the pet store and they asked if the Pleco was fed regularly as they can attack when hungry, but he was fed very regularly and so should have no reason to attack from hunger. The Pleco now is no longer a problem as he will not be going back into the tank.

I just have to make sure the other fish survive!

Feeding a pleco sometimes prevents it from attacking, but not always :(

Do you know what the 0.7 reading was for? (ammonia, nitrite or nitrate?). It makes a big difference.

No sorry, but my husband assures me everything is fine with the water (He knows more about it than me) and the pet store agreed.

So I can rule out the water, and now can rule out the Pleco, as he's gone.

Do you have any tips of healing my poor little fishy fins quickly?