Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kev

Fry Keep Dying!

Hey there guys, i must have lost 100 fry over the past few days, they around a week n half old, feeding on brine shrimp and kiquifry powder, water params ammo 0 nitri 0.

any ideas why ? :cry1

either i am unlucky or something ... but when i seperated my eggs only 2 hatched! and both of them have died around 4weeks old :cry1

anyone ? and that was Liquifry powder not k

Edited by Kev

Guest Shiari

fry often have massive dieoffs because a lot of them have deformities of some sort or another that lead to them having problems.

Are you making sure your water is de-chlorinated and temperature matched. they are very sensitive to temperature fluctuations. sp? Sorry for my spelling, I am tired and sick LOL.

I don't even use de-chlor in my fry tank. We don't have chlormines here, so I just let the water age for 24-48 hours. By that time it's the same temp as the fry tank, and all the chlorine is gone.

Are they getting enough food?

Jessica

Guest OzzMosiz

I have had 2 batches of Fry - the first lot died, probably due to over feeding.

My second batch I had approx 50. This was 3 months ago. I now have 11 left.

Some seem to die due to deformities, not growing, bent backs, hearts not keeping

up with body etc. It's normal, and very sad. I have one little fry that I had to euthanise last night due to being damaged in the filter. They are very fragile.

Guest Rudolf

At present I am tending to about 45 fry. The largest of them (about 10) are ones I was not aware of that existed. I had buckets containing tank water(rain water) and floating fern (Azolla Pinnata) in my back yard. I have a back yard pond with lots of frogs.I had put over half a dozen buckets in the yard for the frogs to spawn in so that the Comets in my pond would not eat the frogs eggs and tadpoles. I had checked all the buckets from time to time with the exception of two of them. In these two , the 10 fry were absolutely huge compared to the ones I had fed. I think they must have survived on frogs eggs and tadpoles. I have of course placed them in a tank by now, and in case of those who are wondering.....the fry (and or eggs)had obviously been in the floating fern that I had transferred from my pond to the buckets.

Makes one think at times that when there is no human interference(as such) some things seem to do a lot better!

well, i had over 100, the water was perfect, and now i have none, again :(

could it be to do with the father being pretty small ? the chasing is back on so maybe soon i get another go.......

im going to let the tank dry out

and re start it before the next fry, just incase of any desease.will this work ?

Kev

I am sorry that you lost all your fry. :cry1

I am having good luck with feeding around 10 am and leaving the food in there until anywhere from 2pm to 4pm, at which time I syphon off the old food, do around a 50% water change, and then refeed again at 6pm. Leave the food in until around 9-11pm and then do another syphon 25-35% water change.

Jessica

i was having to do water changes with a cup, as there where too many to use a syphon, i would have lost ten each time i did it, up the tube !

oh well, im sure i will get another go :)

Kev

Wow, Kev, I just got to read this thread!! So sorry to hear about all your babies! That is awful!! All I can say that those fry are sooo sensitive, and pretty much anything could set them off. My hubby lost almost all of his koi fry due to a too big of a water change, and has only 50 or so left from the original 400 something......

Hope your goldies give you some new babies soon! :)

oh my !!!!

i think, maybe i find problem..... now all the fry are dead, i ddnt drain the tank to dry out yet, just left it with water in, but theres these white worm like things, wriggling around, some on the glass, some not,.... about 5mm long, and 1mm fat.

any ideas ?

i had these too. they were mosquito worms i think. or something along the lines of. i too lost about 700 fry and nearly lost my last one the other day (parents killed most of them in 2 days though). i think its that they are either deformed or some just die without a reason at a particular point.

tanya, your fry died????

Hey Kev,

i think it best to keep only a small number of fry at a time

when i started off breeding, i kept 100s of eggs and some

disease developed and they all died

but now i only keep about 12 at most in one 'tank'

not only are they less prone to die, they grow much faster that way