Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
toothless

Diy Canister Filter

here is a diagram of my first diy cannister filter:

diagram 1

light blue-green = filter floss

blue = bioballs

i searched and searched for a plastic screwtop canister. finally, i found one at goodwill. i then went to ace hardware to see what plumbing peices that were available to me. i found a flat rubber gasket that fit the inside of the lid. this is probably THE most important seal to get right! i also found some peices of plumbing (plastic as well) thet would mount to/through the lid. this is the second most important part to get right.

you know those glass tea jugs that you can push a little button on the bottom to pour the tea? this is the same concept that i used for the lid and fittings. basically, you cut two holes in the lid just big enough to push an externally threaded fitting through each. the fittings should have a lip that will catch and hold a rubber gasket nice and tightly to the top of the lid. then screw the nut tightly on (under the lid). after you have done this, you connect a hose peice to the underside of your intake. then connect a tube long enough to reach the bottom of the canister. this completes the intake part of the filter.

the other hole doesnt need any tubing inside of the canister as it is only the return.

on my canister, i have garden hose "quick release" fittings mounted to the intake and return. this allows for easy removal and cleaning of the canister.

on diagram #2 :

1 = rubber gaskets

2 = plastic plumbing peices with nuts for tightening the seal

3 = the lid of the canister

connect a tube to the intake that runs from a powerhead in your tank. then connect a tube that runs back to the tank from the return on the canister!

i will work on pictures and a more descriptive explanation over the next week or two and post it here!!!!! feel free to pm or post any questions to me that you may have!

Wow, Paul, you did a whole filter!! Wonderful!!

When you have to rinse or exchange the filter floss, it looks like you have to take out all the bio balls, did I get that right?

Good job..that's exactly what I wanted to do..I poseted some time back but I don't have time to make it. A better canister could be one of those whole house filtes..the lid has threaded female sockets, but they cost a bit more.

thanxs guys!

ive been thinking of ways to streamline my unit a bit and ranchugirl pointed out the main problem. i do have to remove the bioballs to clean the filter pad! so, im going to switch the intake tube with the return. that way the filter pad is on top and the bioballs will stay on the bottom. that should make the unit a bit easier to clean (just the filter floss, that is).

also, i am working on another one that incorperates the powerhead into the cannister! that would make the unit self contained!

ive been using the cannister filter on my turtle tank. this allows me some leeway with cycling. so far its working great! no leaks and i havent even reached for the silicicone sealant. by the way teflon pipe tape works very well if you cant get the male peices of plumbing to screw all the way on and contact the rubber gaskets within the female peices!

i will post pictures with my new one very soon!

paul

well, i did it! i switched out the return for the intake. this allows me to put the filter floss on top of the bioballs. i was able to fit more bioballs too! and...............it works great! it makes it MUCH easier to clean the filter pad! anyway, ill post back soon with a new DIY micron filter!!!!!! it should be as effective as a diatom filter.

peace, :hi

paul

Edited by toothless

Toothless,

Any update on wheter this filter works better? I'm begining to pen an idea similar to yours but incorporating two bio-wheels and a hanging basket, and hanging it offo fo the back of my aquarium.

cool! sounds interesting! could you maybe create a diagram of your idea? id love to see how your going to incorperate the biowheel/s. is the hanging basket going to be a sealed unit? or is it going to be waterfall style? either way, youll only need a small canister/resevoir for filter floss only because youll have plenty of beneficial bacteria growing on the biowheel/s! ;)

as for my diy canister, its doing great! i flip-flopped the design to where the filter floss is on top of the bioballs. it makes it much easier to access the floss. also, ive been looking for a slightly larger cannister to mount everything to. that way i can put a sump into the canister at the bottom. in the end ill have a fully self contained unit that will only have an intake tube and a return sitting in my tank.

oh yeah, because i didnt really have a tank to set the filter up on, i went ahead and tried it out on my 20 gallon long that houses my two (VERY MESSY) aquatic turtles. i havent even had to clean the filter once in a whole month!!!!! its still pushing plenty of water too! its due for a cleaning tomorrow though.

good luck with your project! :D

Edited by toothless

I'll be diagramming it soon. It's still a -very- rough concept right now.

I liked the fact that you already have a working prototype, that gives me hope. My friend reads over my shoulder when he comes over and has seen postings here, and likes this forum in particular. When we start brainstorming, ideas get going FAST.

I'm mentally working out a few ideas and mentally "tweaking" a few more. I'll probably start a new thread with the concept and ask for all sorts of critiques to then assist with a parts list and working prototype.

Thaks for your post. You rule. Like I have always said about ideas, "When you share ideas, yoiu have more of them." It may not work in a corporate environment, but it seems to be welcome here.

Thanks again.

Okay, I remembered that I had this thrad going a while back and decided to update it with photos instead of diagrams (now that I have a digicam). Here goes:

In the first pic, you see the all of the materials involved. The only three things not pictured are plumbing tape, a nice water return for in the tank and the powerhead or in-line pump (either/or).

post-1193-1108323921_thumb.jpg

In the second pic, you see the filter all put together. Again, the only thing missing from this shot is the intake from the tank and the pump. The control valve from the first pic isn't necessarily needed if you choose your pump wisely.

post-1193-1108324162_thumb.jpg

In the third pic, I have the bulkhead fittings broken down into peices. The blue tube is what you would find for water supply to your sink from the wall. The next peice in line is an adapter (white) to connect to a quick release garden hose attachment. Then theres the rubber gasket fort the exterior side of the lid/bulkhead. Next in line is the lid with the other side already mounted.disregard the rubber gasket after the bulhead/lid (not necessary). And last but not least, we have the nut/clamp to pinch the bulkead fittings tight. Pipe tape should be added to any threads were a leak is detected after a 2-3 day trial period in a spare tub.

post-1193-1108324807_thumb.jpg

All in all, if you spend a little time in the plumbing section of a good hardware store, you should be able to find all the peices you need. Just remember; it's there, you just have to find it. ;)

Okey dokey then, If anyone has any questions, just ask away! :D

Paul

How big is it? I'm estimating it's the size of a 2211, but pics can be decieving.

Thanks guys :D .

Betty,

I can't remember how much it costed me exactly but I'd say anywhere from 20-40 dollars. I alreay have several garbage bags of filter floss material and a few gallons of bio-balls so you kinda have to figure in those costs as well. Oh, and I found the canister at my local goodwill. It's actually perfect in that it's tinted so that uv rays can't penetrate it and hurt any bacters on the bio-balls. I think the cannister was originally meant to be used for rice and stuff and I had to find a gasket that fit the lid. Luckily I found all my stuff in one stop.

Fishbert,

It holds just over half gallon of water and I can comfortably fit 25 or so bio-balls in it. I like your reference to Eheim in the sizing department! :lol: I too thought it looked similar to some of Eheims smaller canisters......

howdy paul~

would this be feasible for a 72 gal? and would you perchance have a link or know of a website that explains how canister filters work? =) thanks!

Its quite simple, really. An intake tube pulls water into a hose and into the canister filter. Once in the canister filter, it has to go through a floss material to remove large bits of devris, food, and poo. Then, once the water has been cleaned of debris, it makes its way through an area that has either sponges, ceramic rings, lava rocks, or the like. Its those materials that the beneficial bacteria clings to and grows on. So, the ammonia and nitrItes are removed as the water passes through the material. Then, as it is making its way through the bio-material, it is pushed into another hose that leads back to the tank.

Just like a regular hang on the tank filter, only you can place the canister under the tank, out of sight.

Hope this helps!

Paul

The canister looks a lot harder to do then a trickle filter!

what kind of pump do you use?

I cant see the pictures.

It was posted back in 2004 Koko has either removed the pics for band with purposes or they have floated off into cyberspace. If you are interested in making a diy canister filter google it there are some good sites that show you how to make one i had one on a betta tank only little but still good.

Edited by dan in aus