Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jingyu

Can I Spray Some Aquarium Salt Just To Prevent Any Potential Disease?

For goldfish, will that be ok? is it benefitial?

No, you should not be doing that. Like any medication, it should be used when appropriate. Long term immersion of fish in salt can have some very detrimental effects.

It's unfortunate that we have a lot of uninformed "experts" out there who are giving "advice" that really isn't appropriate.

It became a sort of "fad," if you will, in the last few years, to keep salt in a freshwater tank all the time. I don't know why or how, but this just really isn't good procedure.

As said above, fish, bacteria and/or parasites, etc., can become immune to the effects of salt if used too often and then when you really need it, it won't do any good. So, just like any other med, save it for true necessities.

Not only that, but chronic salt exposure could also present in ragged fins and other health issues for the goldfish.

Nah, it's not a good idea. Salt is temporarily added as medication to kill freshwater pathogens. If it is always there, there will still be pathogens in the water, just those that can tolerate salt. Besides, it's not normal for freshwater fish to have such high concentrations of salt in the water and isn't good for them.

Because she put it so nicely recently:

I don't think it's a matter of the fish getting tolerant to the salt, but rather the bacteria/parasites that may be causing your trouble. The main reason to use salt is to kill these things off because they're not good at coping with salinity changes. So if you maintain your tank with salt, you'll have to change the concentration if you develop an issue with a parasite in order to affect it - meaning you may have to take it up to a concentration that is too high for your fish to cope with well. Whereas if you started with a concentration of 0, brining it up to 3% is not too hard on your fish but will likely kill any 'nasties.'

And another main reason to use salt is if your fish gets a build up of internal fluid (dropsy). The salt helps the fish regulate the fluid balance in his body when his kidneys/gills just can't keep up. Again, if this happens while there is already salt in the water, you'd have to raise it to an even higher level to take effect.

This is why I don't recommend keeping salt in the water unless doing a treatment :)

Chronic salt exposure is not good, even in low amounts. A while back, I tried a low amount of salt in one tank because of fin issues. Never, ever again will I do it for any period of time that is not brief.