Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
linguafranka

Starting New Cycle

OK so I have a new tank (20 days) with new goldfish and I didint know what I was doing so I just threw them in. One guy now has ammonia burns, and I am doing massive water changes now "until the cycle gets established." Sorry Fish#1!! (he seems like he is improving, one black spot gone, more lively and eating well, whew!)

Anyway, I have been readingup on cycling, and it SOUNDS like the bacteria will just naturally populate. I dont have to introduce them?

What about the product StressZyme, which a friend recommended?

I had used that product and had little results. However, when I had a cycle bump I used nutrafin cycle and it helped a lot. It didn't completely cycle my tank but brought the levels into reasonable ranges.

Products for kickstarting a cycle tend to have varying effectiveness, but generally they won't hurt, so all things being equal it's worth to give it a try. Apart from that, if you wait long enough, the right kind of bacteria should eventually find their way into the tank. But if you're cycling with a fish in the tank, it's better for the fish, as well as for you given the at least daily very large w/c's, that the cycle gets on its way as soon as possible.

What are you readings (water parameters) right now? That way we can get an idea of how the cycling is progressing :).

What are you readings (water parameters) right now? That way we can get an idea of how the cycling is progressing :).

i should be able to get readings soon, ordered the master test kit thru the mail. in the meantime i am just changing LOTS of water and (yay!) noticing that one black spot is gone...

do the good bacteria populate from the fish's gut? or just from the air?

i will hold off on the StressZyme for now, if y'all don't recommend it. i dont want to just dump a bunch of random chems in there that aren't necessary. or am i misinterpreting the instructions? is there a product that is more advisable than StressZyme, or are they all a crap-shoot?

thanks for your help so far - little guy was not doing so good a week ago when i first came here!

It builds in the filter media and in gravel.. :)

It builds in the filter media and in gravel.. :)

should i be rinsing out the sponge at bottom of my filter, or is that the filter medium you speak of? i just realized there is a sponge in the bottom of the filter and it just stays there, i havent messed with it since i turned on the tank. i dont want to rinse out all the good stuff, but i dont want to leave yucky gunk in there either...

should i be rinsing out the sponge at bottom of my filter, or is that the filter medium you speak of? i just realized there is a sponge in the bottom of the filter and it just stays there, i havent messed with it since i turned on the tank. i dont want to rinse out all the good stuff, but i dont want to leave yucky gunk in there either...

It's best to rinse the filter media (such as sponges) every once in a while, but the really important part is that you do that using water from the tank, not water straight from the tap, otherwise the chlorine in the tap water will kill of (part of) the beneficial bacteria.