Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest timvaughan

My Fish Are Developing Black Areas, Whats Happening?

Guest timvaughan

i have 5 fish, 2 black, 2 white and 1 orange, and both the white 1s are developing black areas?

iv had the fish around 2 months now and i have to clean out the filter every 3 days, this isnt normal is it?? i kno ur meant to do it regular but i thought it was like once a week maybe every 2? cos all this filter is doin is runnin amazing for 2 days then squeaking as it slows down gradually after that.

Whats the best way to treat my fish and should i return the filter?

Thanks

TV

I'm guessing you have very poor water quality as the black marks are signs of healing ammonia burn. Can you please answer all of these questions for us so we can help you better? Thanks :D

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Guest timvaughan

I'm guessing you have very poor water quality as the black marks are signs of healing ammonia burn. Can you please answer all of these questions for us so we can help you better? Thanks :D

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

I havent had time to go buy a kit yet, so i cant provide the levels of any of the first questions, its on my list of things to do as soon as i get a day off work!

Where the other questions are concerned...

*change the water every week, a quarter at a time with my gravel pump

*last water change was last monday, again a quarter

*5 fish, all but 1 of them are about 2 inches, then i got 1 about 4 inches

*I use clorine treatment and active bacteria each time i change the water

*i feed flakes twice a day

*newest fish is about 2 weeks ago (the bigger 1!)

*no medications yet

*no unusual findings

*some prefer to hide in the plants but i heard thats normal?

il buy a kit soon as i can, if you can help me without test resukts for now, that wil b great and il add my resulkts of tests as soon as i can

Thanks

What is the size of your tank? Without any of knowledge of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH values, the best guess is as our helper Haruka says, it's probably healing from ammonia burns. You will want to do much bigger water changes than currently. Could you post back with the size so we can make the appropriate WC recommendation? Thanks :)

Guest timvaughan

What is the size of your tank? Without any of knowledge of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH values, the best guess is as our helper Haruka says, it's probably healing from ammonia burns. You will want to do much bigger water changes than currently. Could you post back with the size so we can make the appropriate WC recommendation? Thanks :)

the tank is approximately 120 litres, with the filter supposedly suitable upto 200 litres... like i said, i feel it could be crap! theres also the air pump and airstone in there to help with oxygen.

Would you be able to find out how much water volume the filter circulates per hour?

120 liters for 5 fish is a bit overstocked. The recommendation is that for fancy tail type goldfish, you'll need approximately 40 liters per fish at least, putting the minimum tank volume for you to be at least 200 liters. O ensure their long term health and survival, I would recommend either rehoming 2 fish, or upgrading to a bigger setup.

I think that you might be underfiltered also, but we'll know when you figure out the filtration rate.

For now, I would recommend doing an 80% WC every 4-5 days to compensate for the overstocking. I'm almost willing to bet that you have/had ammonia in your tank, which caused those black marks.

Agree with Dnalex. Tank is a bit too small long term for them all. Also, it sounds like healing from ammonia burns.

Your cycle could be complete by now but no way to know without the test kits. These are really important to have when keeping any type of fish. The best way to know if something if off first is to always check water parameters. I would suggest picking them up asap. I always keep kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph. Make sure to buy the liquid test kits as they are accurate. The strips are highly inaccurate. ;)

Agree with Dnalex. Tank is a bit too small long term for them all. Also, it sounds like healing from ammonia burns.

Your cycle could be complete by now but no way to know without the test kits. These are really important to have when keeping any type of fish. The best way to know if something if off first is to always check water parameters. I would suggest picking them up asap. I always keep kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph. Make sure to buy the liquid test kits as they are accurate. The strips are highly inaccurate. ;)

The test kits are invaluable. :) It is so important to know your water readings.

The burns would have happened sometime in the recent past since you now see the black.