kukana d

Help W/ Simon,please

<font color="#515151"><font size="2">

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 5

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 78F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 46g/ a qt tank

[*]What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Emperor 400

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 50%/wk

[*]how many days ago was the last water change and how much? today 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Buff It Up(r/o water)

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? gel 1/day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? sitting at bottom,breathing very readily

Hey guys,this is my large lionhead,Simon.Up until a few hours ago he was in my main tank,where the following has occurred:

-Nitro Green for 2 weeks until last Sun.

-Fed MediKoi for 2 weeks

(afaraid a fish I had to put in qt had bac ulcer. Treated that fish w/ Ulcer Rx and MediKoi-did great for 2 weeks-then became inactive.He was done w. meds so I added him back to the main tank to see if he perked up-he also bottom sat,breathed rapidly,and died in 2 days-that was last Sat.)

-I fasted all fish for 2 days-this past Fri/Sat,Simon was on bottom not moving a lot,but some. I fed them peas today and Simon did not eat! I emptied a qt of some new fish and moved him into the qt,where he is still breathing very rapidly.I have not tried to feed him again. My 1st thought was for meds ,but then I wondered if he could possibly need probiotics after being on the MediKoi(up until last Thurs)? I took this vid of his breathing and gills-do you guys see anything?Anyone have experience w/ this? Also,when I moved him,I felt his belly and it is not mushy/I tried to look at his gills,but he's big and was already stressed so I didn't get a good look. I have meds I can make up in food,add to water,or I just bought some baby food I can add yogurt to for the probiotics. Experience anyone? (Actually,this is a crummy vid-the other 1 is still uploadingkrazy.gifdoh11.gif)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TZEfGyWBTY

Hey Susan, I'm not experienced with any of the issues you've had lately, but have you seen him poop at all. I'm thinking he might have become constipated by the meds. :undecided: If you can get him to eat then the probiotics would probably really help.

I hope someone comes along with more helpful advice. :hug

Thanks Edithheartpump.gifDo you think constipation would have him breathing like that? That is actually why I fasted for 2 days-everyone is MUCH lighter-except for Simonundecided.gif

I can't be sure but just something about the way he was scooting around the bottom of the tank. I've seen bettas do that and some heavy breathing and usually it was constipation, but I'm not sure with goldies tho. :undecided:

I just tried to get him to eat some of the regular gel food and he won't eatundecided.gif

I'm sorry you are having trouble :( I wish I had some input for you.

susan, can you try syringe feed peas? it worked for amico and eventually she got her apetite back and unblocked. mash peas into a paste, mix with some tank water and syringe feed? when was the last time you saw simon poop? perhaps add a crushed epsom to it too?

I would try the epsom, too. Maybe extra water changes to stimulate pooping. Anything he could have swallowed?

It looks like he's chewing. I wonder if he has a mouth ulcer in there making eating painful and yes he also could be constipated. I would very gently cup him in your 2 clean hands to the surface with just his head out of the water. His mouth will auto open. Inside, look for red or pink raised lumps on either side of the mouth cheeks.They can also be black. It's just one idea worth checking out.

He does look heavy and grounded too doesn't he..:k055:

That's why this is such a lousy vid-it doesn't show that he's more 'gasping' doh11.gifDo fish get respiratory problems? I will lift him to see if I can see anything,then I will try the peas w/ epsom. Thanks for the replies all. (Also,I have to go drop my computer off for repairs later-I have i.net on my phone,but it's a pain!krazy.gif)

you might want to try feeding him live food such as a few nice earth worms or some delicious mosquitos larva. fresh live food can have super effects.

How is simon doing tonight Susan? :heart

Thanks for checking in Edithheartpump.gifSadly,Simon died earlier todaycry3.gif He was still breathing very deeply,just a litttle slower,I checked his little mouth and there was nothing going on in there. I then took some baby food peas w/ crushed epsom and syringed it into his mouth-he just was not doing wellundecided.gif I had to go drop off my computer and by the time I got back he was gone. He was such a sweet boyheartpump.gif I would still like to post that vid I have so maybe someone can identify it for me,but I've had a veritable electronics melt down around here lately-camera and computer-and my comp won't be done for 5-7 daysdoh11.gifI am currently using the 1 that was having hard drive probs,that I just put away years ago when I got the new 1,and it is DRIVING ME CRAZY b/c it is SOOOOOO slow loadingkrazy.gifI will post the vid as soon as my electronics allowoops.gifThanks again for checking inheartpump.gif

I'm sorry Susan. RIP Simon :(

Oh no! :cry1 I'm so sorry Susan. It's so frustrating when we can't figure out what is wrong. :hug

:rip: Sweet Simon.

so sorry to hear the sad news susan :( RIP simon :(

I'm so sorry for your loss Susan. :( RIP Simon.

I'm very sorry to hear about Simon. May he rest in peace.

:(

So sorry Susan :(

So sorry for your loss. :( Rip Simon

I'm so sorry :(

Sorry to hear that you lost Simon. He was a cute fishie. I hope your fishie problems are over for the moment.

mj

I'm sorry, sweetie...that just sucks.

Oh, what a shame--I am so sorry. It is always so sad..