Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tithra

Removing Silicone Residue...

Hello! Well, I had an exciting night last night when I found a leak in one of the corners of a 30 gallon tank I had recently bought on Craigslist. I decided to just go ahead and attempt resealing the whole thing. It is curing right now, but being new to using a caulking gun etc. I did get some thin silicone residue on the front of the tank. I tried removing it with a razor blade, but it is such a thin layer that it isn't working. Is there anything that you can use chemical wise to remove silicone? Or should I just try to scrub it off? (the tank is glass, what should I use to scrub that won't scratch it?)

Thanks!!

I think rubbing alcohol works...

I don't know if this works on silicone (but also don't see why NOT), but you can use fine steel wool, and it shouldn't scratch the glass. Grade 000 or 0000.

Thanks!!

What also tends to work (depening on the type of silicone though) is to make a soapy solution. This tends to soften the outer layer of silicone a bit, so if it's a very tin layer, you might be able to get it of that way. That's to say, if the alcohol doesn't work :).

Edited by Erinaceus

I find that razor blades also work for very thin residue. You just have to get the correct angle and a sharp enough blade.