Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest PandaCake

Algae Eaters?

Guest PandaCake

Hello everyone. C:

A recent sale for algae eater fish has gone up in a local pet store. They're being sold for $1.00. The same price of an algae snail. I was wondering what your thoughts on the two were. Which species is more helpful?

I'm actually kind of stuck on this because I've had snails before...but my largest comet ate them. [or pecked at them until they died?]

So I'm debating on whether or not to try snails again or go for the "sucker" fish.

I'm just afraid it'll out grown the tank. I believe they get as big as 24 inches? YIKES!

Feedback welcomed!

Thanks!

Algae eaters, are you talking about common plecos? They are a big no no for being kept with goldfish. A bristlenose or rubber lip / rubber mouth pleco can be kept with them, if I remember right.

And what is an algae snail? You mean apple snail like this (different colors available) http://www.calacademy.org/science_now/images/applesnail4.jpg ?

Guest PandaCake

Algae eaters, are you talking about common plecos? They are a big no no for being kept with goldfish. A bristlenose or rubber lip / rubber mouth pleco can be kept with them, if I remember right.

And what is an algae snail? You mean apple snail like this (different colors available) http://www.calacademy.org/science_now/images/applesnail4.jpg ?

I believe the common plecos are the ones on sale. >.< I can't seem to remember at the moment.

They all have that same polka dot design. -did a quick picture google search-

yes those snails! I didn't know they had a name. lol I just refer to them as algae snails.

Are you talking about Pet$mart? The algae eaters they are selling for $1 are Chinese algae eaters. Which are a big no no with goldfish. They made me really mad because I sent my bf to pick out an algae eater for my ten gallon tank and they sent him home with two. He knows that CAE are not good algae eaters but he doesn't know what they look like and they told him they are just generic "medium algae eaters." I didn't know what type they are and cannot tell the difference between CAE or SAE so I hope they don't kill each other. The algae does look better in the tank though.

The apple snails don't really go for the algae enough to make a difference. Instead, they poop a lot. If you really have to go with an algae eater, a bristlenose pleco would be the best choice. http://www.tropicalf...4420386-800.jpg

I believe rubber lip plecos are ok too http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/images/thumbimg/400/10622_48.JPG

If there is enough room in your tank, that is. I think you have to consider 10 gallons for each of them, just like with goldfish. :)

The common plecos http://www.aquahobby...ecostomus_2.jpg grow huge, as you know, and there have been incidents reported where larger pleco's injured goldfish because they were sucking on their slime coat.

Personally I just leave my algae to grow on the back and sides and I use a toothbrush on the front and bottom. I don't believe you should buy any creature just to clean the algae off the walls - most 'algae eaters' don't subsist purely on algae anyway and need supplementary food, and both plecos and snails produce a huge bioload for their size which should be taken into account particularly if your tank is already close to its stocking limit. If you want a wall-sucker fish or a snail, by all means get one as long as it's compatible with the fish currently in the tank - but only get them for their own sake. Neither plecos nor snails can tolerate salt, so if you have to treat the tank you need to have the means to separate them and risk reinfecting the tank again when you reintroduce them. Think about it. Personally I just spend 2-3 minutes with my arm in the tank scrubbing it off when it needs doing, I quite like it - combined with my plants and driftwood it makes the tank look more natural and my fish love to peck at it - free salad bar! You can also try having the lights on for a shorter length of time, then you should get less algal growth in the first place.

:exactly I had a lot of lovely dark algae growing on the tank's back wall and on the driftwood. The goldies were having a great time snacking on it but they weren't getting rid of it. So since I love snails I added in quite a bit of these little ramshorn snails. I thought I was quite lucky since my two goldies didn't eat them. But the snails have gotten rid of all the algae and now my nitrates are so high. Turns out the algae helped to keep the nitrates down. Of course the snails also add a lot of waste so that doesn't help. :wall

I agree with devilduck. If you want some sort of snail or algae eater, that's your preference, of course - but I just wipe down the inside glass when I clean the tank if I see any algae, and that takes care of it.

Personally, I don't like plecos at all. They get huge. They freak out and spazz once in awhile and tear up everything. They are ugly IMO. They poop huge poops. They will not die, even after every other fish in the tank is dead and you're sick of the whole thing.

His name was Jeffrey. Although he's buried in the backyard, I still shudder to think of him and rue the day I thought an algae eater was a necessity in a fish tank.

Personally I just leave my algae to grow on the back and sides and I use a toothbrush on the front and bottom. I don't believe you should buy any creature just to clean the algae off the walls - most 'algae eaters' don't subsist purely on algae anyway and need supplementary food, and both plecos and snails produce a huge bioload for their size which should be taken into account particularly if your tank is already close to its stocking limit. If you want a wall-sucker fish or a snail, by all means get one as long as it's compatible with the fish currently in the tank - but only get them for their own sake. Neither plecos nor snails can tolerate salt, so if you have to treat the tank you need to have the means to separate them and risk reinfecting the tank again when you reintroduce them. Think about it. Personally I just spend 2-3 minutes with my arm in the tank scrubbing it off when it needs doing, I quite like it - combined with my plants and driftwood it makes the tank look more natural and my fish love to peck at it - free salad bar! You can also try having the lights on for a shorter length of time, then you should get less algal growth in the first place.

:exactly

I think the algae is actually beautiful, and they really do help in controlling the nitrates. I've made the mistake of having common plecos, Chinese algea eaters and even one bristlenose pleco in the goldfish tank to disastrous results. In all of these cases except with the BN, the other fish were more interested in the goldfish than the algae. In the case of the BN, there simply wasn't ever enough food in the tank for it, so it started going for slime coat. :(

I personally love my little BN pleco. They are albinos and simply fascinating little critters. Mine do a horrible job with algae control though and are simply there as pets not workers ;)

But I hate algae...but I can only grow the brown algae of death...which the plecos don't eat anyway :P

I personally love my little BN pleco. They are albinos and simply fascinating little critters. Mine do a horrible job with algae control though and are simply there as pets not workers ;)

Ashlee, I love BN plecos also, and that's why it was such a huge disappointment when one turned into a murderer. However, I acknowledge that was my fault, because I couldn't figure out a way to make sure he/she had enough food. I should have waited until the tank matured a little bit and then add him. Now it's too late, because he's already developed a taste for slime coat.

The other BN I have I love. She's amazing, does a so-so job with algae removal, but that's never why I had her there to begin with.

I have the apple snails and I like them. They are just pets but work fine with my goldfish. There are only 3 in a 75g tank now and they do eat algae on the sides and bottom of the tank but really not enough to notice a difference. I leave some for them so they don't starve but I do wipe down the glass with an algae scrubber from time to time if needed. If your buying them just because you like them and have room then I say go for it but if you want a good algae cleaner I would just pick up an algae scrubber with handle, it works great and is fast! ;)

Never tried an algae eater or pleco. They scare me! lol

Edited: Btw, I can barely read your writing with that size, ya killing me. lol

Edited by Vahlla

I personally love my little BN pleco. They are albinos and simply fascinating little critters. Mine do a horrible job with algae control though and are simply there as pets not workers wink.gif

But I hate algae...but I can only grow the brown algae of death...which the plecos don't eat anyway tongue.gif

i have the opportunity to get 2 albino BN plecos for 10 bucks each from someone local getting rid of their tank. would adding them to my 37gallon with 3 small fancy golds be too much? i 50% water change every 3 days. my 90gallon should be cycled in about a month

I personally love my little BN pleco. They are albinos and simply fascinating little critters. Mine do a horrible job with algae control though and are simply there as pets not workers wink.gif

But I hate algae...but I can only grow the brown algae of death...which the plecos don't eat anyway tongue.gif

Really? Mine LOVE the brown stuff. They eat and eat and eat and poop and poop and poop. :lol I had two in an algae covered 40g that they cleaned up spotless in a week. I fed them nothing else and they made piles and piles of poop. :lol

Mine are all adults so they don't eat much algae anymore. The live off progold.

i have the opportunity to get 2 albino BN plecos for 10 bucks each from someone local getting rid of their tank. would adding them to my 37gallon with 3 small fancy golds be too much? i 50% water change every 3 days. my 90gallon should be cycled in about a month

A bristlenose requires about 10 gallons each too, which means you are overstocking the 37 gallon tank.

But considered this is only temporarily for a month until the 90g is cycled, I think it should work. I personally would quarantine the bristlenoses separate from the goldfish though, unless you really know the previous owner and know 100% that the fish are healthy.