Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Johnnyonthespot

Keep Goldfish From Gulping At Surface?

You should do 4-6 rounds of Prazi to make sure that the flukes are eradicated. I basically add the first dose in after a water change and leave it in until the next water change, when I add a new dose. Praziquantel is inactivated after 3-4 days in the tank.

I read some of your other post and saw you said she moves her mouth a lot. Does she kinda yawn? That and the gulping makes me think it is probably flukes for sure. Even though the black moor doesn't do this too, that doesn't surprise me at all, mine didn't show signs of flukes when my other fish in the tank did. Btw, she is so so so pretty. Me wants! lol

Hmmm, this seems to be a common goldie problem that can be caused by many different things from improper feeding, permanent swim bladder problems, boredom/bad surface gulping habits etc. You really just have to experiment with different treatments to try and diagnose why your goldie gulps or gets floaty. My Kana is a habitual surface gulper who's recently influenced Cricket to do so as well :glare: Ducky is a good goldie and behaves herself, never surface gulping. It's a real pain in the neck though, and if you have a habitual gulper, there may be nothing you can do about it. :(

The only change that worked for me was switching the 4 granules a day, but other members have expressed concern that that's under-feeding, and I've never been comfortable with the amount to begin with.

I know why she gets floaty, I sit here and watch her. She literally does not stop gulping at the air after eating. Then she gets stuck. Then she poops a pathetic stringy bubbly poop and comes down.

I wish I could train her to stay down...but would a net be a possibility? Like 1" under the water surface?

Honestly I've been considering similar ideas. I've never heard of anyone trying it, but I feel as though I need to come up with something. Kana is just like yours, once she starts, she doesn't stop. So she ends up floating all day but is fine by nighttime.

Is there anything else I can look for for flukes? Is this actually a symptom of it? She rarely yawns...I know exactly what you're talking about. My moor is famous for it and we call it "Bernie mouth" around here since his name is Bernie haha. It's quite impressive, his eyes go sideways and all hahaha. She rarely does it though.

As for the prazi, crap I'll do a 50% and a treatment tomorrow. I would love nothing more than to be done with this problem. It has no negative side effects, right? I know it's cleans them out but that's not a concern. So I believe the schedule would be 50%, treatment, in a week repeat, do this for 4 weeks, correct?

Thanks for the compliment, I think she's adorable haha. She has a great personality, it really compliment my moor who looks like a cranky old man.

They may sulk a bit at the bottom during treatment but that is normal and the treatment is safe for them . :) Some have different symptoms but yeah the yawning, gulping at the surface and darting all are symptoms of flukes. Won't hurt to see if it fixes for you and since you said your black moor does do a bit of yawning I would say this could surely be the cause of your problems.

That is too funny about the cranky old man look. :rofl They most certainly do look like one!

They may sulk a bit at the bottom during treatment but that is normal and the treatment is safe for them . :) Some have different symptoms but yeah the yawning, gulping at the surface and darting all are symptoms of flukes. Won't hurt to see if it fixes for you and since you said your black moor does do a bit of yawning I would say this could surely be the cause of your problems.

That is too funny about the cranky old man look. :rofl They most certainly do look like one!

She doesn't dart all that much, if ever. She's pretty lazy overall, has been since the day I got her. I will definitely do the treatment though, starting tomorrow. Haha they sure do, he's just such a crotchety looking fish. Thanks for the help so far!

She is still stuck up top :wall

I need to figure out this little fish soon. Prazi starts tomorrow...

My fish all get fed 6x daily. I'm working on show and breeding fish, but my point is overfeeding is more of a water quality issue. If you can hang out and siphon the excess after they are done, you should be fine.

Are your pellets floating or sinking? I suggest sinking pellets and to soak them for a few minutes before you feed.

All my telescope eyed fish are separated from the others because of their eye sight. The usually have to stumble upon the food and be like "oh hey, there's food"

I do think it says a lot about you that you hand feed her, and she's lucky to have such a good keeper.

Why are you treating with Prazi? Do you have flukes? Have you done a scrape to verify? Medicines, even the gentle ones, are stressful and hazardous. Make sure you actually need it. Look at your water quality and other factors when she is having buoyancy issues before you assume it's parasites. Good Luck!

I would try feeding her 4 pellets in the morning. In the afternoon feed her a few peas and in the evening 4 more pellets. It sounds to me like she is just REALLY hungry. Feed her more but break it up so she's not eating so much at once. The peas may help with any gas problem as well.

Ah, my lovely fish reminded me why I cut back on food. If she eats too much, she goes up top, eats air and gets stuck. I still don't know how to contend with that...

Maybe you should feed something else then. Some fish have problems with processed foods. Like I said, I can't feed pellets in my big tank because one of them gets floaty.

Plus, again, do not feed all that at once, because that WILL give her problems. If possible, feed her four times a day. That's how I do it with my baby goldfishes. They are including tail 2 inches long, and each of them eats about 15 pellets a day. That does not include extra food like blood worms, brine shrimp.

But maybe you should try different food. Maybe some homemade gel food? It's easier to make than it sounds. :) And most goldfish don't get so floaty on it. A big variety in foods also helps prevent floaty issues. Steamed/blanched zucchini, cucumber, spinach, kale, peas, cooked egg white, frozen foods such as blood worms, brine shrimp, spirulina, cooked shrimp or fish filet.

You know, natural foods :)

I would try feeding her 4 pellets in the morning. In the afternoon feed her a few peas and in the evening 4 more pellets. It sounds to me like she is just REALLY hungry. Feed her more but break it up so she's not eating so much at once. The peas may help with any gas problem as well.

By peas, what is the amount you're suggesting? I typically don't feed her more than 1/3 of one. Also, are you suggesting this in lieu of the prazi?

See the thing is, she'll float after I feed her peas even! It's not the food, it's the food making her gulp the air. So far I've used granules, flakes and peas, all with the same results. I'm all for the gel stuff, I'll try it eventually regardless.

And I'm sorry for just throwing the Prazi out there, I forget info is spread across numerous threads but her other symptoms point to a parasitic infection.

So is she doesn't float/gulp air on 4 pellets, then feed 4 pellets, 3-4 times per day, so she's getting enough to eat. Same with peas or gel, tiny amounts(like size of her eye) several times per day.

Zenfish- He was going to do the prazi because of other symptoms consisting of the butterfly gulping at the surface and his black moor in the same tank yawning frequently. They only got one dose of prazi which wouldn't kill flukes so that's why he is going to do a full treatment. ;) Most don't have the equipment to scrape and test like that but symptoms do point towards flukes.

Also, the floating he said was due to her gulping at the surface after meals so I really don't think it has anything to do with the food in this case. He literally sees her gulping for a long period and then she gets floaty from it. This may have become a habit though so getting rid of parasites may not make her stop doing it but hopefully /crossed fingers it will. ;)

It's not that she is just really hungry I'm sorry. She was doing the gulping more so when being feed MORE pellets so that's kinda the opposite response. ;)

But you can feed even 3 or 4 times a day in small amounts if you think that will help till the treatment is over and then see where she is at then. If the treatment doesn't stop the gulping at least she would be parasite free for sure and could go from there to see if the food or amount of food needs changing up. :)

I merged the two topics since it was getting confusing to go back and forth.

As long as you're doing good water changes you don't need to worry about overfeeding. The problem gets to be when the fish are fed too little and their growth is impeded. I wouldn't worry about 15 pellets a day.

Also, as I mentioned, if I give my butterfly more than 5 a day she ends up gulping air and getting stuck up there. She has me in a bind.

"Five a day," or five at one time? Since young fish should be fed multiple times a day, 5 a day would be one or two pellets at a time. If you mean she can eat 5 at one time, you can give her five at a time three times a day.

On the other hand, underfeeding -- that is, calorie restriction in a nutritious diet -- has been shown to increase lifespan and delay aging in a variety of organisms, including fish. All the mechanisms of this effect of this effect are not known, but it does improve the immune system in mice (which are the subjects of most of the research). If you aren't concerned about your fish maximizing their growth, underfeeding is fine.

Yet underfeeding can lead to stunting their growth which can lead to a variety of problems.

Thanks for merging these, I didn't realize they'd get so intertwined. I put it in the prozi this morning and I'm still waiting for it to wipe them out. She needs it, I gave her 4 granules this morning and apparently that was too much excitement and she had to gulp bubbles. This fish drives me crazy. I gave her a bloodworm (which I just picked up) when I got in and she seemed to enjoy it.

I also grabbed a separator and I'm going to attempt to re-teach her how to eat starting Thursday. I know my moor is going to be thrilled to be sequestered in the tank, lol.

By 5 a day I was typically giving her 2-3 in the morning and night. Sometimes if it was closer towards 6 she'd decide bubbles were necessary. It's such a thin line with her it's absurd.

As for over vs. under feeding, I refuse to starve them so I'll lean towards letting them develop fully and possibly losing a year or two but being completely happy. I definitely think she needs more food, it's just getting her to eat it without gulping air afterwards that's the issue.

For instance, yesterday I gave her 2 and she was fine, then a few hours later I gave her another 2 and bloop, right up to suck air. I hope it's just a parasite doing this...I'd love nothing more than to end this problem.

Yest he prazi should do her well :) You're doing great.

The thing with feeding is you may lose years off of the fish's life if you're pumping them with food, IE feeding them tons and tons of food a day, for example a handful of pellets a day to be extreme. Feeding them their nutritional requirements is going to keep them very healthy for a long time and help them grow to their full potential.

I agree it could be flukes if she's surface gulping and she's never been treated for it. One thing to look out for when she's treated is bottom sitting or fin flicking and it means the prazi is working.

I know how you feel about the surface gulping. I used to have a fish who did it at night and it was THE most annoying noise ever. LOL

She always bottom sits haha! She is no help.

So question, I was going to do treatment, then after 7 days do a 50% WC and redose for 4 weeks, should I do this or another method? I've read on here some people do 4 treatments in 2 weeks.

And about the amount, I'll quote a reply I got by breeders, when I had sort of the same question. (From goldfishkeepers.com)

"The problem with feeding is that we are brought up to think that a pinch of food a day is adequate but the reality is that is a starvation diet. It might keep the water cleaner longer but the fish won't grow. ..."

I've read that information too, but I wonder about following grooming procedures for pet fish. I found this thread very interesting, particularly since two breeders said smaller fish are better spawners, and one added that the large fat show fish didn't live as long. A lot of it has to do with taste. I know some people want their fish to get as big as possible, but I want goldfish in my ponds instead of koi because they are small.

So today I put in the tank separator (much to the chagrin of my moor), and after 20 minutes my dear butterfly found all 3 granules. It's a step in the right direction for sure. Of course now she's up top after gulping air, so still battling that front as well.

Back to my moor...man he looked like a convict ready to kill. He was just staring through the barrier and was noticeably furious hahaha. He's such a crankpot. As for my butterfly, I'm almost positive she didn't even notice it hahaha.

I know this is very soon but I just dropped 2 pellets in to lure my moor for picture and my butterfly was fighting him for them after a few minutes :)

Well I've been training her the past few days to eat off the ground and she's getting it. I tried to feed them together and she got nothing, so we're still learning haha. Anyway it got better, she wasn't really gulping at all and I got her up to 5 granules a sitting (2x day), but the past few days she's been terrible. I fed her 4 about 7 hours ago and she's still floating.

I'm considering giving her a few pellets with pea at the same time and see if that helps. Would she be getting enough nutrients or would it go right through her? I'm baffled :/