Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
katmad

Green Water

Hi

As you might have seen from my other thread, i am at the end stages of cycling my tank (ammonia 0, nitrites 1, nitrates 20)

however, my tank is by a big window and is getting a lot of sunlight. so far all this has meant is that i've had to keep spot cleaning the brown algae as it's growing a lot on the tank, but today doing a water change i noticed that the water is actually now getting cloudy and green.

I dont now what do to!

I have had a green water tank before and it was amazing, my fish grew so much and were clearly nourished by the green water. So i'd love to let it go green and benefit my two goldies.

But I have 2 filters going in this tank and I have SO nearly got my cycle finished - will green water kill my cycle? in my old green tank i didnt have a filter, just an air pump, as the green algae acts as a filter. Can i keep my filters going and will the bacteria survive???

i suppose if i dont want the green water i will have to keep changing the water even more frequently!!

Any suggestions?

thanks!!

If you want the green water just keep doing what your doing hun, it wont hurt your cycle at all, infact it will help it out :) I wish I could get green water :)

thanks Koko - I was just worried that it would hurt or compete with the nitrafying bacteria that i've spent so long cultivating in my filters! But if it's not harmful to the filter then I wont take any measures to prevent it occuring in the tank :)

Edited by katmad

And if the green water ever gets out of control, you can install a UV filter and that will stop it :)

good to know! thanks!

i have never found algae a real issue... except bearded algae...!!!! but if anything, put blinds or something on the window. my 55 is near a window and so algae started developing but after closing them more often, watching my lighting hrs, .. and realizing that i lacked in carbon ( so i bought flourish excel) the algae started going away. :D so if anything, if you do get too much, water changes plus carbon is always nice :D just watch out though if you do do that. because if you dont have a bunch of plants like i do, then the carbon can OD the fish. or UV helps too . i think they get pricey though depending how much you need for your tank.