Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AquaAddict

Can't Believe It!

Last night i went into my basement to feed all the fish and noticed my daughters goldfish acting strange. So i sat down to see what was up. Much to my surprise they were breeding!! I started looking in the spawning mops and noticed some eggs. I pulled those mops and added some new ones so i could be sure to get my chance at trying to raise the fry before the fish ate them. We have only had them around a month.

congratulations.. how exciting. there are many online diaries that koko members have started for raising fry. have a look around, they're full of good information that will help you to raise fry into nice healthy goldfish.

Congratulations and good luck! Talk to Oerba Yun Fang, she's raising fry at the moment and has been quite successful.

Mine are always sexing lol but I am sooo not ready to be a grandad so I just let them eat em! lol

Well they started to hatch yesterday and i already have a few free swimmers. I hope i can keep them alive!

It is not too difficult. Basically just very clean water, many small feedings daily.

Have you looked into making a fry-safe sponge filter yet? :)

Tell me more about this fry-safe sponge filter. Do you have a link or pics of one? I pulled the mops out today and if i had to guess would say there is at least 100 free swimmers. Does anybody have any ideas what the babies will look like? Both parents were gold fantails. Will they throw other colors and fin varieties?

Edited by Patti

They most likely will be fan tails. Colors is hard to say, but looking at the parents always gives you a basic idea.

For the sponge filter, here some links to how to make them yourself

This one is a very simple one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcWtIr6JZlI

A little more powerful http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-filter/19.asp

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/diy-sponge-filter-74794.html

How big is the tank they are in right now? With 100 fish, you will need a lot of room soon, and a strong air pump for the sponge filter. It probably wouldn't even hurt to make two sponge filters :)

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to hearing how they grow! Best of luck!

thank you for the video! That is sweet. Currently i have them in a 5 gallon but i have a tank that is 7'x18x14 that is empty to grow them out in when they get a bit larger. I have 2 central air pumps in my fish room so i have the strong air pump covered.

Edited by Patti

wait, 7 FEET long tank you say? SWEEEEEEEET. That is going to be a lot of room.

One thing you will have to consider right now though: what are you gonna do with the survivors? I can't tell you how many you will have. It depends on the care, genes, and probably luck too.

Are you going to find new homes for them? How? You should look into that now and according to that take action.

If you will easily be able to find homes for the little ones, then I suggest that at about 3 to 4 weeks of age you split the fish up into two batches, by size. At this age, I could tell that some of mine were a lot bigger than others and then the small ones began to mysteriously disappear. Did some research and found out that the larger fish went cannibalistic on the small ones - which is part of the natural selection.

So if you have room and know you can find them all homes, divide them. If you know that finding homes for a lot of fish will be difficult, I would let nature take its course a bit with natural selection. I now got 4 out of originally 30 left.

As of now, keep the water under 6 inches depth. What food do you have for them? You can start feeding them 36 - 48 hours after hatching. Until then, they will get nutrition from the yolk sack on their belly. They are going to be very inactive for the first few days too. Mostly hanging or laying/rolling around.

I have a few pet stores around here that will take some and have a few friends with ponds that would take a few as well. Of course i plan on keeping the coolest one of the group. I breed lots of other fish and am a brutal when it comes to culling so i figure only a handful will be kept. I already see a few with deformed spines.

Ok, then there is not so much to worry about having a whole lot of fish in the end. :)

I caught them doing it again today! This time i ran a grabbed a bowl and done it by hand. I have never attempted this so we will see how it worked.