Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NightAngel

Cataracts?

I have a 5 year old 12 cent feeder fish thats eyes have a pearl like reflection in them. Fish is healthy, tank is healthy ect. It's eyes have the pearl like hue in the pupil much like what commonly happens with older black moore type goldfish. (I have one of those too) Just never seen it with comet type goldfish. It is as if the pupils "glow" white when looked at strait on. Kinda cool/creepy looking. Can I assume this fish is blind?

When was your last water change? How much gravel do you have? Sometimes the fish will get these if there's a bacterial build up or if they scrape themselves.

Edited by Haruka

Water gets at 90% change every 2 weeks. Gravel gets a 60% vaccume with the water change. Water parameters are beautiful. Fish is not injured. Corneas are clear, no abrasions (fish has not hurt its eyes). Fish probably has bad genetics due to its breeding and purpose in life (feeder). It has a white reflective "glow" in the vitreous humor of the eye. Just wondering if anyone ever had this happen with a feeder, and the probablility of the fish being blind.

Edited by NightAngel

Try bumping it up to once a week and see how that does. My black ranchu gets that sometimes when I miss a day of water changes. 2 Weeks is plenty of time for there to be buildup in the gravel despite good water parameters.

So the eyes look cloudy in the inside?

Post some pics! :D