Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
phishnet

Are They Eating?

How can I tell if they are eating? I'm feeding boiled egg yolk. Is a full belly noticeable?

Here are a couple pictures. Do they look full?

b5.jpg

b4.jpg

No the stomach does not look full in that pic. The stomach really bloats up and looks large and reddish after eating.

I suggest you get some baby brine shrimp, it is smaller than egg yolk and easier to eat for tiny mouths, makes less mess too.

Example:P1000413.jpg

Mine loved the Baby brine shrimp :) plus its red so you def can see it in their tummies :) lol

first bites works well too

Well this is a rough start. I just started a BBS hatchery. I hope the fry make it to tomorrow morning and I'll give them hikari first bites.

BTW, here is another pic after I fed them a second time. I see some pink right behind what I think is the belly. Is that digested food?

Did I mention they are just 3 Days old?

b6.jpg

No the stomach does not look full in that pic. The stomach really bloats up and looks large and reddish after eating.

I suggest you get some baby brine shrimp, it is smaller than egg yolk and easier to eat for tiny mouths, makes less mess too.

Example:P1000413.jpg

Thanks for the reply. How old is the fry in that pic?

Edited by phishnet

Yes that is the food you can see.

Yeah older than yours. I think that was one of my batches at around a few weeks.

they are still strong this morning. I continue with a little egg yolk and added first bites. I'm hoping to have freshly hatched bbs by tonight. They should definitly hatch tomorrow morning at the latest.

I'm glad I have all this stuff handy from breeding bettas.

The freshly hatched ones are great .I bought frozen babybrine shrimp for my fry . Good to hear they are going strong on day 4 :goodluck

BBS are not hatched yet. They're just kinda out of the egg case.

The fry are still doing their thing. I can see food in the their belly and they are producing waste so that's a good sign.

That's good!

How many fry do you have?

I have a lot of plants in the tank right now so it's hard to get a accurate fry-count. I counted 40-50 fertile eggs.

I didn't have a BBS hatchery, so no live BBS for mine. Instead I bought FROZEN BBS and my fry LOVED it. I fed this and Hikari First Bites. Tomorrow they are going to be 4 weeks old now :)

Wow, that's quite an accomplishment. This is my first attempt at breeding goldfish. In the past I just let the parents dine on the eggs. But now that I've had success with other fish species I'm ready for another challenge. At what point do you stop feeding bbs and first bites and start on crushed flake food?

I still feed them frozen BBS and First Bites. I have tried a few crushed sinking pellets and they ate them. They also eat algae growing on rocks (borrowed them from the betta tank) and I have dropped single whole pellets of goldfish food in and let them in there. They will get all soaked and soft and the goldfish kept eating them up over the course of a few hours. :)

I'd say you just keep trying the crushed flakes and stuff and see if they manage to eat it. If not, remove uneaten food.

I personally will also try to feed frozen daphnia when they grow a bit more. For now at the age of 28 days I am still feeding them the above mentioned diet :)

They're finally getting freshly hatched BBS. Their bellies are must larger then when I was just feeding First Bites and egg yolk. A trick I do with cichlids and bettas is to feed them power/flakes/egg yolk first then let them rest for a few minutes and feed bbs. It gets them fuller.

I still feed them frozen BBS and First Bites. I have tried a few crushed sinking pellets and they ate them. They also eat algae growing on rocks (borrowed them from the betta tank) and I have dropped single whole pellets of goldfish food in and let them in there. They will get all soaked and soft and the goldfish kept eating them up over the course of a few hours. :)

I'd say you just keep trying the crushed flakes and stuff and see if they manage to eat it. If not, remove uneaten food.

I personally will also try to feed frozen daphnia when they grow a bit more. For now at the age of 28 days I am still feeding them the above mentioned diet :)

I called around and no LFS near here have frozen BBS. They have just regular brine shrimp. I really like the idea of dropping in pellets and letting them nibble at it. Maybe that's what I'll do when I go to work. I also have frozen daphnia for when the fry get bigger.

Has anyone tried to feed them algae wafers...the kind for plecos? I have hikari brand.

I haven't tried algae wafers yet, but considering mine eat soaked pellets I wouldn't doubt they go for the algae wafers too. But for now I'd stick with BBS and First Bites. It will also probably take a few weeks before they care for the pellets dropped in. When I went to work I just put an extra big amount of BBs in there. That will keep them busy and full for a while :)

Tonight is the 1 week mark. A few didn't make it; I counted four. I'm guessing it's due to deformities or unwillingness to eat. I've posted a few pics in the photo section but I want to show here the difference of before and after feeding of a 1 week old fry.

BEFORE:

The larger fry doesn't have anything in his belly and nothing in its digestive track either.

The smaller one has an empty stomach but something in its digestive track.

b11.jpg

AFTER:

This one has a pot belly and is doing the #2.

b9.jpg

Edited by phishnet

Wow! This is so interesting. Please keep us updated.

Nice pics! Seeing those miniature fish poop is the most hilarious thing ever.

The four that died, that is a natural thing, like you said. In my case, it is usually quite small ones that died or had to be culled in my case. And the other small ones are being eaten.

One thing to watch out for - if you intend to keep as many as possible, and have the room for it, you might want to set up a SECOND fry tank/tub. And at the age of about 3 weeks, separate the smaller ones from the larger ones.

Because in my case, the larger ones apparently ate the smaller ones. Within about 10 days, the fry population dropped from 20+ to 6. Never found any dead fish, and according to a reply on a goldfish breeder forum the bigger fish will eat their smaller brothers and sisters.

Good to know. Big fish eat little fish, that's just how it goes. The fry start early. Haha. I have many tanks so that's not a problem.

I'm not sure how many I will keep. That may depends on quality...and maybe its not up to me.

I've started to freeze the hatched BBS. I've done it before but with ice-cube trays. This time I'm not quite as prepared so I've just poured the BBS and water into a ziplock bag and lay it flat in the freezer. Tomorrow morning I'm going to feed them First Bites and toss in a chunk of frozen ice and BBS so they can eat some as the ice melts. That should hold them over a little longer while I'm at work.

Here they are at 2 weeks and you can really see the full belly (and poop).

b13.jpg

This one is trying to eat something off the glass.

b16.jpg

Those photos are so awesome. Again, I wish my own camera would take decent pics of my fry :D