Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Taengoo

My First Time Breeding

Guest Taengoo

My fish laid eggs on Monday (4 days ago) and today I see a lot still inside the egg with eyes and tails and a few that are probably hatched (long shape). However, I'm beginning to doubt any of them will make it out alive. The water is relatively clean since I did a 50% water change on Sunday (day before egg laying). Today, I see some hatched tiny fish and they are rolling around with the current of my aeration wand (assuming they're dead ones). There is no filter running in the 20 gallons of water, some unfertilized eggs are still in there, and there's some clearish-white flaky/stringy stuff attached to some eggs. I'm hoping they would make it.

Hi! I just recently went through the same, and thought they wouldn't make it. But mine are 26 days old now, so maybe I can help you a bit:

1. Do NOT remove the ones you think are dead right now. I noticed that right after hatching they are very weak and exhausted. Most of mine were rolling over the bottom for a while but in a couple days the majority will be swimming freely!

2. The white stuff on the eggs is fungus. Remove these eggs as well as the unfertilized eggs IMMEDIATELY to prevent the fry to get the fungus too.

3. FOOD: I couldn't hatch brine shrimp for mine, so I raised them on frozen baby brine shrimp and Hikari First Bites. You can start feeding this 36 - 48 hours after the first ones hatched. Until then, the yolk sack provides nutrition for them.

Defrost a cube of baby brine shrimp. Before feeding, stir it up with a tooth pick. Then add a couple drops in one corner of the tank. If possible as far away from the bubble wand as possible so the current won't spread the food all over the tank.

If you use Hikari First Bites, touch the food (it is a powder) with the tip of your finger, and what sticks to it you can flick onto the surface. It will stay up there for quite a while, it takes forever to sink. Probably good so the fry can find it easier.

Feed at least four times daily.

4. Water changes: I got mine in a 50QT tub and am changing at least 50% of the water every three days. You just have to be very careful with accidentally removing babies. Also re add the water very slowly, the fry is quite fragile. Make sure temperature and pH are matched. You can make a cheap sponge filter yourself, the internet has lots of tutorials on how to build one. You already got an air pump, so all you will need is some pvc pipe, sponge, a ceramic tile and aquarium sealant.

5. The fry will grow faster if the water temperature is around 75 degree. If you have a heater, it would be a nice idea to drop it in the tank.

Guest Taengoo

The whitish stuff don't look like fungus though... they look more like peeling skin when you soak it in water or a plastic bag...

That still doesn't sound normal though. If the eggs are not fertilized, or not normal looking, you should remove them. :)

A picture would help. My guess is when the eggs turn white it will then either get fuzzy or burst due to the fungus or bacteria growing inside. The pealing skin you see is probably the egg casing. The stringy white stuff is most likely also fungus/bacteria oozing out of the egg. Fungus and bacteria are organisms that need to grow and multiply. Since you have a bubble wand the water current makes it look like things are moving on their own. (I've notice this on my first couple cichlid spawns. They don't require human intervention, the parents will eventually eat the white eggs, but for goldfish you have to manually do it your self.)

I think any egg that look white should be removed. It can foul the water and infect the remaining eggs an fry

Good luck

the higher the temp, the faster they hatch. I wouldnt totally give up on the other ones with eyes you see not hatching. If the water is a little cooler it just takes longer =)

Well I dont recommend cranking it up to 80 to get them to hatch faster! I floated my fish tub in my tropicals tank wich is set at 75 an they hatched in 3-4 days some take longer

Guest Taengoo

Well, they ended up hatching. Now I got hundreds of little fishes swimming around!

When do I start feeding it powder food? And how would I go about putting these babies in a smaller tank with just an air stone?

I plan to do water changes everyday.

Guest Taengoo

Also, since 2 ranchus laid and fertilized these eggs, will all the babies be ranchus?

They most likely will be ranchus, yes.

I started feeding mine about 40 hours after the first ones hatched. Remember, just a tiny amount of food, but at least 4 to 5 times a day.

Where are the fish being kept right now? If possible, I would not move them during the first week since they are so fragile. If you can keep them in the current container, just do 30% water changes daily. Make sure you get the uneaten food out! I used a turkey baster for that.

Also, make sure the water is not deeper than 6 inches for now. I was told that the fry can have problems with the water pressure otherwise.

Guest Taengoo

oh, okay then.

my baby fish are in my 40 gallon tank, but after the eggs were laid, I pumped out half the tank's water, leaving only 20 gallons in.

I guess I will go ahead and get some of the old water out and put new ones! Thanks!

Fun! I want baby fishies too, but my fish have decided to stop spawning for now. :doh11:

I hope your survive. :)

oh, okay then.

my baby fish are in my 40 gallon tank, but after the eggs were laid, I pumped out half the tank's water, leaving only 20 gallons in.

I guess I will go ahead and get some of the old water out and put new ones! Thanks!

They're not together with adult fishes though, right?

Guest Taengoo

No they are not. As soon as I came home that Monday and saw eggs, I quickly removed the all the adult goldfishes out.

They are now all free swimmers and fed them some Nutrafin powder food. The fishes are roughly around 1cm long.

Tomorrow, I will buy another 10 gallon or so tank and I will put some of the old water and add new water into it with an air stone and wait for the babies to grow a little larger.

I will then clean up my 40 gal tank, put the adult fishes back in, and probably separate some baby fishes with another 10 gallon tank I already have.

Thank goodness I bought a small net for these fish :) Tomorrow will mark one week since eggs laid :)

Edited by Taengoo