Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kulukan

Planter Box Goldfish Garden

I don't have enough space or sun to grow vegetables in a quantity big enough for myself, but I thought it would be fun to make a little garden to feed my goldfish from! I bought 2 30" long window box planters and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for easy to grow, good for goldfish vegetables.

My main restriction is on the amount of space they will take up. My first thought is to try to grow loose leaf lettuce. Maybe some bush beans. I might be able to squeeze in 1 zucchini plant. I'm not sure how much room spinach takes.

any suggestions?

:rofl :rofl :rofl I love it!

I have such a thing for my tortoises :)

Sounds fun :D. I would see what veggies your goldies like and then grow them. I know in my garden/planter, there would be lots of cucumber.

they of course like the type of plants that want to sprawl all over the place. I might go pick up a zucchini and cucumber just to see how they do. If it fails I will only have wasted a couple bucks

So I have this window in the kitchen that would be great to do this with. Why did you have to come up with this wonderful idea?!?! WHY?!?!

You should try Hydroponics. I just find out this idea couple days ago... apparently there is a new trend where they grow vegetable using waste from fish. So the cycle is Fish --> Bacteria --> Vegetable. The vegetable consumed the nitrites and provide growth to the plants and in return, it provides cleaner water for the fish. Check out some of the youtube videos about Hydroponics. I am fascinated by this idea.

You can grow cucumbers and I think zucchini in those upside-down tomato planter things they advertise on TV all the time. Maybe that would be an idea?

I would advise against zucchini and cucumbers. They're viney, spready plants and they get huge. Ours covered an entire fence.

I found a "bush cucumber" it says the vines are no longer than 2 feet. I bought a topsy turvy strawberry planter yesterday (I just wish is wasn't so ugly!). Its says you can put herbs and some vegetables in it as well so I bought 5 strawberry plants, 2 cilantro and 1 basil. There is also a picture of cucumber on the box. So I might put this dwarf cucumber in it too. I wish that it gave me a list of compatible vegetables though.

I have 2 30" long planters. I am going to plant one with leaf lettuce and the other with spinach :)

So I have decided to give my upside down tomato planter to the zucchini plant. I don't really need tomatoes anyways. I also got a couple of pepper plants.

I planted the spinach and lettuce in their planters. I also sprinkled my leftover seeds in a flower bed - if they can survive then I'll let them stay.

The necklace that Sakura got from etsy of her Chiba was the inspiration behind this next development. I thought it might be fun to mark the fish's garden as being "theirs"

IMG_1732.jpg

all4.jpg

I had wanted to wait until they were all finished to post a picture but they just turned out so cute! I sealed a piece of craft foam and printed out a picture of Maverick and Jango. I glued those pictures to the foam and painted over the top (cheating!!) For Kitty and Mox I traced their dominant details from my laptop and glued those pieces of paper to the foam. I then sealed and painted the backs black. I am going to epoxy them to some black skewers and then coat the whole thing in some type of sealant (I don't know if resin will work on foam) then stick them in the planter!! The painting is far from perfect in my book, but good enough :) I can't wait for the lettuce to grow so they will be "swimming" in it! I never noticed how strange Jango's colors are until I had to try to paint them!

just added Jango's breeding stars and Kitty's gil plate :P

Edited by Kulukan

This is a very cool idea. Lettuces grow really well in containers, as do greens. And goldies sure love them. You can space plantings out to always get a fresh crop as well. Love the markers...very cool!