Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ichthius

Home Made Culling Nets

That's an attractive net, I like the bamboo handle. I've never heard of a culling net until now; is there a difference between them and regular nets that makes culling easier? What's the red item in the middle?

I haven't seen those in a long time.

That's an attractive net, I like the bamboo handle. I've never heard of a culling net until now; is there a difference between them and regular nets that makes culling easier? What's the red item in the middle?

The culling net is flatter and allow you to view the fish much easier. It's also more gentle on the fish. I've seen it use by breeders and they actually flick/fling the fish into tanks (one tank for keepers and another tank to be culled). You can't do that with a regular net.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The red thing is a glass coin/medallion with the american ranchu society's seal:

http://...................blogspot.com/2011/02/master-piece.html

The net is very taut which increases its surface tension. You can dip the net in the water and it will retain the water in all the holes.

This surface tension holds the fish to the net. In fact you can even turn the net upside down and the fish will stay on the net. Dip in back into water and it flips off.

When you have hundreds or thousands of fish to sort it comes in very handy.

It also allows you to see the side view of the fish. The fish I'm working are top view ranchu. You can sort all you want from above but they still need to have a good back and no dorsal fin.

this net is completely vertical and the fish stays on:

photo-708296.JPG

Edited by Ichthius

Here is an example of the surface tension that keeps the fish on the net:

Edited by Ichthius

What is the mesh you are using?

I like your presentation of it!

What is the mesh you are using?

Polyester Aquaculture grade netting.

I like your presentation of it!

I hope it impresses him and influences him more than the $$$ I'm sending him. I've learned respect and relationships are more valuable than money when trying to do business with the Japanese.

That's very true, and it's entirely crass if you only just talk about money. So you absolutely did the right thing by sending him that simple yet very elegant gift!