Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
number20121

My Newest Addition

Looking good...keep up the good work Fang! :thumb:

Thanks Kathy, Susan and Dennis! :)

We are at day 8 now:

I added my super ghetto sponge filter today. Well, more foam than sponge. I think it works. It's really hard to tell but it seemed like I saw some floating particles sucked into the filter. That is good I guess! The fry has no problem with the filter suction either.

I am using an air pump that I got at Wally World for about 10 bucks. It's for tanks 20-60 gallons in size. I use this type pump with all my tanks and love it!

The only problem was that the bubbles were really causing a lot of water movement, so I set the little bag with crushed coral and bioring (the one that I had in the tub before) on top of the pvc pipe of the sponge filter. It eases the surface turbulence a lot while there is still a ton of bubbles coming out.

Before turning the air pump on, I slowly poured 25ml of Nutrafin cycle in the water right over the foam/sponge of the filter and waited 30 minutes, hoping that some of the BBs might find a nice spot in the media before I turn the filter on. We shall see! :)

Good luck with the tiny ones. And I hope one might look like Hugo ;)

Good luck with the tiny ones. And I hope one might look like Hugo ;)

Thanks! Shipping to Belgium will be about a gazillion dollars! :rofl

Day 9:

They are still happy and no losses. I crushed and crumbled up some Saki Hikari between my fingers today, and they ate the tiny pieces.

Dropped one whole pellet of Saki Hikari also, and I saw some of them poke and nibble at it. Removed it after an hour though so it wouldn't pollute the water

They additionally got a small formation of black river rock, two of these rocks are stolen from the betta tank because they have TONS of green algae growing on it. The fish keep poking at this too, although I am not sure if they are eating the algae or baby brine / Hikari crumbs off it. Temperature is 76, turned it down a tiny bit to get it to about 74 or 75.

Also got some white and beige river rocks as a small formation, with a couple of the artificial plants from the breeder net and a piece of 0.5" PVC pond tubing as playground set up. They seem to enjoy exploring and hiding.

The rubbermaid lid really keeps dust out of it, and the sponge filter takes care of dust that fell into the tank. Really neat!

Had to do a large water change because the ammonia was at between 0.25 and 0.5 ppm since yesterday. Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 5. I think I'm putting too much food it, it is just so hard for me to tell how much they are eating. I'm trying to vacuum out what's uneaten but it's hard to see. Added the next dosage of Nutrafin Cylce directly into the foam of the sponge filter, and set a few seeded bio rings on top of it. Params are now 0/0/0 after the water change, pH 7.3 and temperature 75F.

I can tell how the higher temps have caused a slight growth spurt, the pectorals are now really easily noticeable <3

:)

That is really great, Fang, and I'm really excited you are keeping a daily journal of their progress. It's fascinating just to read, and certainly will be a great reference to anyone who is looking to raise fry for the first time.

Please keep the updates coming. I look forward to reading them! :)

Lovin the updates! It will be so fun to watch them develop.

This is soooooooo exciting! I check in everyday for the next instalment! :)

I know shipping costs would be astronomical to the u.k. do you think you could get them in training so that one could swim across the pond! :rofl Especially if one looks like Hugo! ;)

This is soooooooo exciting! I check in everyday for the next instalment! :)

I know shipping costs would be astronomical to the u.k. do you think you could get them in training so that one could swim across the pond! :rofl Especially if one looks like Hugo! ;)

ROFL I can try! I'm not sure about the looks though, I was told by a breeder that many of them might/will be natural brown colored because it is a mix of metallic and nacreous scales. We will see though :D

But honestly, that would be cool! I never see natural colored goldfish.

Yesterday I had the second fish with a natural death. A tiny fry, with empty belly. He was much smaller than the rest and since these fish are basically see through, you could easily tell that his hadn't eaten. I noticed him because he got himself stuck to the sponge filter (now how sad is THAT) so I removed him and tried to feed him with baby brine, which he completely ignored. He also was head standing.

The next morning, he was a goner.

Other than that the crew is doing pretty good! Today is DAY 13 btw.

Some of the fish are bigger than the others, and you can really tell their fishy shape now. The tail fins are starting to fork. Some are darker, some lighter. Everyone has great appetite for frozen baby brine, hikari first bites and crushed saki hikari. :)

This is super exciting! :Congrats: And how cute!

I got a "decent" picture (it still sucks, but that was the best I could get... ) of one of the bigger fry. It is 14 days old now. The pic is quite blurry though, but as mentioned before, you can make out the forked tail now :)

fryday15.jpg

The following picture is NOT MINE. It is by KirstySuzanne on deviantART, but this picture is so perfectly clear and shows details that are not visible in my photo, and the fish looks EXACTLY like mine, except for the difference in tail. Just posting this so you can see a bit better what they look like.

http://kirstysuzanne.deviantart.com/art/Goldfish-fry-13-days-old-2-124338972

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

That is so fantastic, great job :bounce They're starting to look like tiny fishies :heart

Fascinating :bounce

Edited by Seymoura

Oh wow! How exciting :) Little fishie fry. The whole thing is so interesting... I wonder what they will look like as they grow up. It will be really cool to follow along and see their progress. You are doing great!

:rockon

this is so fun! If my friend's little fish/reptile store does well I might try out a batch of fry if he will take them. lol I wonder what a pearlie/telescope cross would look like.

Day 18

Yesterday was a crazy day. I had to work at 6am, so I get up at 4:30am. When I check on the fry I find one that somehow managed to get IN the filter foam :doh11:

I noticed the fry picking at the foam for goodies, but that one's curiosity got him stuck inside the foam. He tried so hard to get out, so I tried to shake the filter a bit to shake him out, but OF COURSE he somehow gets himself even DEEPER into the material.

At this point I knew he wouldn't be able to get out of it on his own and probably die and rot in the filter, which is really eww. Plus I didn't want him to die, so I turned off the sponge filter, lifted it up and tore the whole thing up to get a square inch cube of foam with the little guy stuck in it out. I guess I don't need to mention that this cause A MESS in the tub because all the particles that were sucked into the foam came lose and turned the tub into a dump.

Little guy was still stuck, so I put him in a glass container with tank water, and started a 90% water change on the fry tub at 5am. FUN!!

Couldn't get the little one out until after I came home from work at around 7pm last night. I gently stretched and tore the foam and the baby came out. He was so stressed out and exhausted, I thought he was hurt and going to die. He shot out of the foam like an arrow, and zipped around for a few seconds, then he floated to the surface where he spent the next 12 hours with barely any movement. Sideways, not eating, only his eyes moving, breathing heavily.

This morning though he was fine, swimming around in the tiny container, wanting out so bad, so I let him back in the tub.

Oh, and to replace the sponge filter I went to the LFS and bought another Whisper 10gallon in tank filter (90gph). I also bought a pack of Marineland bonded foam sleeve for H.O.T. Magnum Canister Filters. That stuff is really neat, I cut off a square and tied it with thread over the filter intake of the Whisper filter, so no fish can get sucked into it. Filled the bottom of the filter with 3 layers of the same stuff and then a decent amount of new ceramic rings; dumped 25ml of nutrafin cycle in it.

So far this works AWESOME. It cleans the tank better than the sponge filter, the filtration is almost 10x (12.5 gallon tub). Fry swam by to check the filter out, they do feel the suction but are strong enough to swim away easily. The outlet is about an inch above the surface and causes some current, but this too doesn't seem to bother the fish too much. The pvc pipe with air stone inside from the sponge filter is still in the tank, I placed it right underneath the outlet to break the current some while at the same time using the air stone.

I can see more and more size difference between some. I spend so much time watching them. All of them seem healthy and happy, even the smaller ones. I got about three or four really BIG ones though that even already show the dorsal fin :)

Oh, wow, I am sooo glad you could save the little guy from the filter :o The new filter sounds perfect, glad to hear they're thriving for you ;)

That definitely doesn't sound like a fun morning. I'm glad everything worked out and the little is back with his siblings :) Sounds like new filter is working great!

Day 19:

Re made the sponge filter with the new sponge and rubber bands - it works great! So I got the 90gph in tank filter plus the sponge filter in the 50QT tub. Also added another dose of nutrafin cycle.

The size difference between some of the fish is getting more significant. Although all of them seem healthy and active, some are about double the body volume of others. One of my biggest ones, as I just noticed, must have started to nibble the algae off the rocks. Since they are still see through, you can tell that while the others' fishes' digestive tracts are filled with pinkish stuff (baby brine), his was filled with dark green stuff.

It also is getting super warm around here. I unplugged the heater and the water temperature still is 77F in the tub.

Only "bad" thing so far is that the rim of the tub had a crack because I over fill it. I doubt you are supposed to fill the tub up to less than an inch from the rim LOL So the water pressure made the tub bow and this broke the top rim. It is fine though, I lowered the water level an inch and put a strong clamp on the broken area. Holds perfectly fine for now, and I will have to get a larger container for them soon anyway. :D

I just realized I counted wrong. Tomorrow will be the three weeks birthday of the ones that hatched on Sunday, March 20th. Some of them hatched during the following 48 hours, so the fry is between 19 and 21 days old today. ! :3

Day 21:

Absolutely nothing of interest happened today LMAO

Glad to hear they're doing well (and that it's an uneventful day, lol). I can't wait for another photo shoot :bounce

Absolutely nothing of interest is quite good, because that means they are doing their fry thing and growing :D

I can't believe I had missed all of this :( Congrats on the fry Fang and it sounds like your having a ball with all your new friends I remember how fun and exciting this all was :) keep up the good work and keep us all posted :) Again Congrats!!!!!!!