Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
number20121

My Newest Addition

congratulations!!! What a fun project. I hope they survive!

mj

oooo. oO.... :Congrats: Granny Fang! :) This sounds like the start of a very interesting saga.....

all children are a blessing.....and sometimes a pain in the butt!

eta: please keep us posted (I love your exasperated and sarcastic comments)

Edited by Seymoura

Whoa...very cool! Can't wait to hear more on this.

:Congrats: on the fry! I hope all goes well for you and I can't wait for updates and pics! :)

Thanks everyone! :)

Boiling eggs right now for tomorrow. I might even let the fry have some of it :rofl

Lol. Have you fed them anything yet? Are they little piggies like the adults? It's so fascinating. Too bad my goldfish ate all the eggs Levi laid.

Oh that's right, I remember reading through that topic. Gotta go search for it later.

I SUPPOSE it is Hugo and Wakka. Since Wakka is the only KNOWN male in the tank, and Hugo surely was laying eggs, the way Orange Fishie was picking at her butt for "more candy".

That would also make for an interesting mix, calico Oranda x Shubunkin.

No need to respond Oerba Yun Fang ... I found the pics .... looking forward to watching the progress ... thanks tom

Hey Tom, I was just about to link you this topic :)

Alex, nope, not yet. What I read, the first 48 hours they don't even have a functional mouth yet. The oldest fry are about 42 hours old right now, and the youngest probably only a few hours. I'll start feeding a crumb of boiled egg yolk today. I got one of the oldest fish in a tiny plastic container by himself right now because I thought he was dead. Not moving at all, laying on bottom of the bowl. I removed him about 38 hours ago and kept him in that container so hubby could see a close up of the fry.

Good thing I had water in there because Mr. Tiny decided to be alive. That 3.5 ounce container he is in, it looks like Hugo in the 55g when you compare the size :D

199613_1467192499069_1811278060_861927_4783833_n.jpg

This is all so amazing. I have no doubt that with your enthusiasm and dedication, the frys will develop into many beautiful goldfish. I can't wait to see the progress of their development. :)

wow! congratulations fangster!

:Congrats: with the little ones.

Good luck raising them :angelstaf:

Thanks!

They seem to like being in the tub now. So far I haven't found any dead fish either *crosses fingers* and Steven got me frozen baby brine yesterday. Can't find brine shrimp eggs except for online, and then it seems like such a pain to hatch them etc. D:

This photo is from yesterday. I just removed the light blue towel from underneath, as it makes it really hard to see leftover food. The wooden cabinet now is a lot more helpful!

I think these guys grew a bit. The larger ones (which are about 36 hours older than the smallest/youngest ones) are about 3/8" / 9mm now.

There also is one fish that seems to not be able to swim right. I saw him before, and went to get the turkey baster to get him out of the tank, but as soon as I found the turkey baster, I can't seem to find that fish anymore. I'm sure he will show up again, one way or another.

Today I did a 70% water change to get as much of the uneaten egg yolk out as possible, and then raised the water level to about 5.5 inches. Also removed the java fern, there were some unfertilized eggs stuck to it that started to grow fungus (another reason for the big water change).

Did the water change mainly with the turkey baster and a cup, the water was added back in in a very thin stream. Like when you got the faucet on. It didn't seem to bother the fish, on the contrary. All of a sudden a third of them was over in that corner where I added the water in, swimming steadily against the light current from it. It was like a microscopic version of doing a water change in the big tank and having Hugo enjoying swimming against the water stream/current from the garden hose.

There you can tell again that she's the fry's mother :rofl

I also added a piece of nylons with a little bit of crushed coral and a few bio rings that should be full of BBs, and carefully placed this "bag" on top of the air stone.

offspring003.jpg

They are SO Tiney!

Glad they are doing well.

Today I found the first floater ever. That means so far only three of the whole batch of hatchlings is gone (the dead one plus the two deformed ones I had to cull), still leaving me with close to 30 babies. It is crazy how you can see the food inside their bellies. Now I can finally tell that they indeed feast on the frozen baby brine. I actually also even saw them EATING and boy, they got quite a big mouth in comparison to the rest of their body. And I don't mean this as a joke either!

Funny was though when I watched them eating last night; the tub is on the entertainment stand next to the big tank. So I was sitting there watching them, and Hugo was watching me from the other tank watching them, like she's saying "Hey, you know, I want food too!!"

But the size difference, seeing that fry and knowing that they came from this big girl :heart

video from last night

Very neat! I hope they all grow up big & beautiful like Mama Hugo :)

Ah, this is so exciting! Can't wait to see what the big beautiful babies Hugo made will look like! :D

From what I heard they might be rather plain because it is a mix between nacreous and metallic scales, and might turn out more or less nature colored. But I will see. I will love them either way :heart

Oh yeah, the interesting thing is that apparently I have a very light, very improvised biofilter in my tank. The crushed coral and bio rings in a stocking that I use to weight my air stone down, in combination with the air stone functions like a very cheap-y, ghetto-y "sponge filter". With the way the uprising bubbles pull some water with them through the media.

I tested the water before and it was 0/0/2.5 - trace nitrate. My tap water is 0/0/0. So the few BBs that were on those 6 bio rings still do their job :D And with the crushed coral and air stone the pH is at a nice 7.6. Tap water is 7.2, but in the bowl in which they were before the move to the tub, the pH dropped down to 6.6.

So overall, I am quite satisfied at the moment :)

They are so cute... I am so happy for you :). Good job Fang.

DAY 7:

Raised the water level to about 8.5 inches today and added a heater. The last few days is so cold that the water temperature was at 66. Sure not harmful but probably slows down their growing quite a bit. Slowly raised it to a nice and steady 72; I might up it to cozy 74 tomorrow.

Feeding them frozen baby brine shrimp and hikari first bites now. Also dropped a tiny piece of gel food in the tank. A few of them checked it out, but I couldn't tell if they were just curiously poking at that thing or trying to eat it. In general they eat well, I can always see their bellies full of stuff and saw them poop. Tiniest fish poop I've ever seen.

One of the fish tried to eat his own poop, just like the big ones, and probably found out for the first time that it is not very tasty. Spit it right back out.

No more deaths yet, ergo still only 3 of the fish that hatched didn't make it so far (2 culled, one died). I can see how a few fish are smaller than the others. Not significantly, but enough that I notice when I pay attention to them. I can't see any obvious deformities on any of them yet. Tiny little pectoral fins (at least that's what it looks like to me) can be seen now, and the tail fins are developing.

Sponge filter will be ready some time later tomorrow since I siliconed the pvc pipe to the tile. I also bought a small bottle of nutrafin cycle and will add this when I put the filter in the tub after tomorrow's water change.

What precious little speckswub.gif