Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
number20121

My Newest Addition

196506_1465497216688_1811278060_859351_6442179_n.jpg

Found them in my tank and collected them. Didn't think they were fertilized. Not sure yet what to do... I kinda wanna give it a try to see how it goes, kind of as test run for whenever I really want to get into it.

Because I kind of doubt I will manage to make them survive, but who knows. It sure would be a neat pastime.

It's just how amazing how TINY those are. These eyes are like pin pricks. Dang.

I said KINDA a lot. I'm kinda nervous/excited :D

oooohhh that's exciting! Did you find them in the big tank? Any idea who the lucky parents might be? :D

AW MAAAAAAAN one of them hatched already!!!

Well, only male fish is Wakka, the calico Oranda. And I am 100% sure that Hugo laid the eggs.

AGHBN ADFKLTU!#TO)T%&*!(_&TFVHSKV:FJFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU it is swimming around like a weasel on SPEED

That's awesome! How many did you collect, Fang? I would definitely go for it. You'll get some valuable experience out of it :)

Ok, the free swimmer must have clung himself to the java fern now (there were a bunch of fertilized eggs stuck to it, so I dumped the whole plant into the bowl.

Alex, I think about two dozen to 30 eggs MAYBE. I am surprised they were developing. After I found the tank full of eggs a few days ago, I let the goldfish eat what they could get, and then I scrubbed down the whole tank, took out the marbles and plants, rinsed both with water as hot as the faucet would let me and scrubbed them with a brush.

Those little things seem to have been quite determined to live so far, so I think I will give them a chance. Although I have NO CLUE of raising fry. Trying to read up on it right now.

I have a 12 gallon QT tub in which I could move them. But no filter. Gotta see how to make a sponge filter I guess. And I don't know what to feed them after their egg sack is gone. I thought I remember reading someone successfully using boiled egg yolk instead of baby brine shrimp.

Why does fish related stuff ALWAYS happen when all the money is gone towards bills and I have to wait three days till the next pay check D:

Alright, so not even 1 hour after I open the topic about the eggs, I have at least FOUR fry.

188366_1465569218488_1811278060_859531_4593353_n.jpg

That's realy neat! I think you need to get some some food for them fast. First Bites is somethng I've read about, also newly hatched brine shrimp, I think. Maybe boiled egg yolk in a pinch? I think I may have read aboout that somewhere, but please check as it may be some misremembering in tired old brain. Will stand by for further developments!

Well that is just awesome Fang! :D It's amazing just how fast they hatched. Good luck with raising the little guys! :thumbs:

Spillie, I read it online too where people used crushed boiled egg yolk instead of baby brine shrimp. I might try that at first. Not sure when I will get my hands on brine shrimp eggs and then how long it will take them to hatch.

Maybe I can get some live micro worms or something for them. I wish I could fish the planaria out of my husbands tank and use them to feed the fry LMAO

Awwwwwwwww,congratulations Fang-you're a grannyheartpump.gif

how fun! I'm sure you'll be a great fish mom :P

Congratulations! What an exciting adventure it will be :)

Wow!!!! Little teeny tiny babies! How fun! :Congrats:

Whey hey Fang! Great job!!! (Whose are they?)

Shellbell had a nice thread going on her goldfish fry....hopefully you'll find some things in there that would prove useful. Seems to me that Shell did use a breeder's net? Search it up and I'm sure she'd PM any info that would be of help. Way to go! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Edited by blackteles

Oh that's right, I remember reading through that topic. Gotta go search for it later.

I SUPPOSE it is Hugo and Wakka. Since Wakka is the only KNOWN male in the tank, and Hugo surely was laying eggs, the way Orange Fishie was picking at her butt for "more candy".

That would also make for an interesting mix, calico Oranda x Shubunkin.

Congrats! That would be an interesting mix. Can you imagine...a shubie with a wen??? That would be awesome :P

Congrats! That would be an interesting mix. Can you imagine...a shubie with a wen??? That would be awesome :P

Actually I just saw that Orange Fishie (the lesbian comet) has REEEEEEEEEEEALLY pale breeding stars on the pectorals and gills. I guess no Butch after all then. And most likely the Daddy of Hugo's offspring.

Yaaaaaaay, single tail fry...... *half sarcastic* LMAO

I guess I will need the 125 long sooner than I thought. IF some of the fry survives, that is. Single tail fry will stay with me, don't need a pet store to sell them as feeder D: I'd rather feed them to their own parents.

I'd rather feed them to their own parents.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :rofl

Granny Fang :lol:

That is really amazing that they hatched so quickly. Where are you keeping them at the moment?

In a gallon bowl for now, with tank water and a java fern. And an extra drop of prime. I want to wait until they all hatch (there still is a good amount of eggs with embryos) and then move them to the 50 quart tub.

I could probably use the whisper in tank filter as filter in there, since the intake can easily be covered with foam.

:Congrats: This is just too cool, can't wait to hear more :bounce

I'd rather feed them to their own parents.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :rofl

Well, that way it all stays in the family :rofl

Alright, so this morning I counted 11 fry. That's only the ones that are NOT hiding in the java fern. Also still a bunch of fertilized eggs and I could see fry twitching in a few of them :D

:Congrats: on the fry, and best of luck with them!

:) Sounds awesome!

I'd hold off on the filter for a few days, until you're sure they're all strong and swimming around. I put my home-made sponge filter in too soon and killed off a good bit of them. :wall

You're doing great so far! :heart