Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
drkslvr

Rip Trotsky And Tolstoy

Two of my fish passed away this weekend. These photos from November were the last I took of them before they died. I had so many chances to take some since then, but I never took the time.

tolstoy.jpg

Tolstoy is the one lying on his side on the bottom right.

trotsky.jpg

Coincidentally, this and another I took just before it are the only photos of Trotsky since he finished turning from black to gold. He was black for longer, but gold is how I will always remember him

I got to my apartment tonight (Sunday), and I opened the door. And the first thing I thought was,"Wow, it smells like my fishtank is dirty. How is that possible? I just cleaned it Friday afternoon!" I turned on the light and my stomach just about sunk clear down to the floor. The aquarium was murky and I could tell there was something floating on top. At first I thought that all of my fish were dead, but then I realized two of them (Tchaikovsky and Anastasia) were still swimming. It was only Tolstoy and Trotsky that were goners.

Trotsky had a habit of sometimes floating on the top when he slept, so I was hoping against hope that he was just snoozing. But by the time I had dropped everything and run over to the fishtank, it was obvious he wasn't with us any more either.

The other two fish appear perfectly fine. I checked the water chemistry. It was a little out of whack but nothing too surprising for a tank that had had two dead fish in it, and certainly not enough to be the cause of the problem. I did a 90% water change anyway. Tick and Annie seem okay for now. I will be watching them closely.

In truth, both Tolstoy and Trotsky had been sick for some time. Tolstoy worse than Trotsky. Not surprisingly, it looked as though Tolstoy had passed away first. Trotsky looked as though he had just passed this morning. I wish I had been here. I wonder if I could have saved him.

It might seem silly, but I saved a scale from each of them. They're pressed beneath a book right now because they were starting to curl as they dried.

scales.jpg

I had Trotsky and Tolstoy for just a little over three years. February 11 was the anniversary of the day I got them. The first two years I'd taken pictures on the day, but this year I just didn't. :(

I realize that this post is already a little bit long and self-indulgent, but I just want to share a few pictures of them before I "let them go", so to speak. I've limited myself to posting just ten. You would be my friend forever if you shared these memories with me.

-----

lilfish.jpg

February 17, 2008 - I'd had them for less than a week. At the time I couldn't tell them apart, but it's not so hard in retrospect. I have a few earlier pictures than this, but this is the first one in which I can clearly tell who is who. Counterclockwise, they are Tolstoy, who died this weekend, Trotsky, who died this weekend, Tchaikovsky, who is still with us, and Anastasia, who is still with us.

familypic1.jpg

June 16, 2008 - Home with me for the summer. They grew so fast their first two years! Trotsky is foreground center, Tolstoy is background center. Annie is to the left and Tick is above. This is my favorite "family pic" from 2008. Itsays so much about who they were at that age!

orange.jpg

July 1, 2008 - Trotsky, left, and Tolstoy, right. No one really like the orange. lol

newtank.jpg

July 22, 2008 - One of their first pics in the new tank. I show this so you can see how much bigger they grew!

bigger.jpg

March 31, 2009 - See how much bigger we are already?! Tolstoy is at right and Trotsky is in the center.

biggeryet.jpg

November 20, 2009 - And now we're bigger yet! Tolstoy is left and Trotsky is center. You can see that Trotsky has started to turn gold. He began to change in October 2009 but hadn't completely transformed until October 2010.

allfins.jpg

November 20, 2009 - I love that this photo shows off Trotsky's (left) and Tolstoy's (right) fins. :)

familypic2.jpg

November 20, 2009 - This is my favorite "familypic" from 2009. From left to right, they are Tolstoy, Tchaikovsky, Anastasia, and Trotsky.

familypic3.jpg

March 3, 2010 - My favorite "family pic" from 2010. I let the year slip by without taking nearly as many pictures as I had taken the years before. Then, in 2011, I didn't take any at all. It's funny how you start to take things for granted.

hithere.jpg

March 3, 2010 - Tolstoy (left) and Trotsky (right) saying hello through the glass. They didn't know it, but they were saying goodbye, too.

Goodbye you guys. You're going to be missed. :'(

a beautiful tribute to your darling fish that passed (so sorry) and to the ones still with us... thank you for sharing :heart

I'm sorry for your loss. RIP Trotsky & Tolstoy. You paid them beautiful tribute. Thank you for sharing.

It was nice to see the pictures of their life and growth. They were both gorgeous fish. May they rest in peace.

I'm so sorry for your losses. They were both beautiful, and I can tell they meant a lot to you. :( May they rest in peace.

I remember seeing pictures of them when they were smaller...they grew so much. I am so sorry for your loss.

Awww those poor babies :( I hope the other two will be fine. All of them are/were so beautiful.

So sorry for your loss. I loved that you picked all 'Russian' names for your moors. It suited them

So sorry to hear about your loss. RIP Trotsky And Tolstoy, they will be missed :(

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. They were both very beautiful and will be missed dearly.

Thanks guys. It means a lot to me! :)

I'm so sorry. I remember your russian mafia from when they were tiny. Such beautiful fish.

Rest in peace, Trotsky and Tolstoy.

Very sorry for your loss :( Your tribute to them was beautiful, they were lucky to be loved so much :heart

So sorry for your loss. I hope your other 2 will be alright.

RIP Trotsky and Tolstoy

Im so sorry hun :(

I'm so sorry for your loss. May they rest in peace.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Your tribute to the fish was very moving. Thank you for sharing.

I hope Tchaikowski (sp?) and Anastasia are doing well......

Such lovely fish. It was nice to see how they grew and thrived in your care/

I hope the survivors continue to thrive. Sorry for your loss.

Mj

I am sorry for your loss.