Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kiiarah

Fantail Or Ryukin?

Hi everyone! I am hoping you can shed some light on the breed of my larger fish, Felix. I know that Apollo is a red cap Oranda, but Felix remains a bit of a mystery. I found him at W@Lm@rt, where they were keeping him in a vase set up for a betta. They had the whole thing (tank, fish, and decor) labeled at like 16.99, and actually intended to sell him in a vase as his "tank." I just couldn't leave him there, so he joined our family. :) We love him to pieces and when I bought him I assumed he was a basic fantail, although he was not in a labeled tank. However, the bigger he gets the more puzzled I get. The tank As you can see, he has a large short body like a fancy, but a single tail fin like a common. I had some trouble getting the video not to look psychedelic, so everything looks a bit more color saturated than it should, but you get the idea. I did read that sometimes fancy goldfish will have tails that do not separate, so I figure this might explain the tail. I know he is still young but could he be a ryukin and not a basic fantail? His behavior screams ryukin to me, he is so bold and active! His body also seems to keep getting deeper and rounder. Well, what do you think? Ryukin, or chubby fantail? :P

Edited by kiiarah

Best I can tell it is a fantail. I had one like that one time with the single tail. Very cool.

Best I can tell it is a fantail. I had one like that one time with the single tail. Very cool.

That's good to know. For a minute I started worrying that he might be a common, and I sure don't have a pond to put him in! I think he is beautiful. Maybe he is just a very daring fantail. ;) The little guy is just crazy, always going full speed. I turn out the lights at night and watch him swimming around in the dark for about half an hour after. Silly little one. :)

Have you treated him for flukes? Does he dart around and flash? He is probably a very hyper goldfish, but it might be a good idea to give both of your goldies a course of prazi to be on the safe side :)

Have you treated him for flukes? Does he dart around and flash? He is probably a very hyper goldfish, but it might be a good idea to give both of your goldies a course of prazi to be on the safe side :)

Thanks for bringing that up alex. I had considered that, but he is quite literally constantly swimming around. I think he is very active, since all of his movement seems to be done with intent. It isn't sporadic or overly wild, just very constant. :) He does sometimes calm down and get ready to sleep, and I see no sudden dashing around at those times, only when he is racing around and playing. :) Just out of curiosity, is it flukes that frequently presents with yawning? He hasn't been yawning excessively, but if that is a symptom I will also watch for it.

Yes, they "yawn" more often if they have a lot of flukes in their gills.

He's adorable :heart Great job on the rescue :Congrats:

Thanks Buggy! I think he is just the sweetest little guy ever, though he can be a bit of a bully at time. :rolleyes: He is getting so big too. It has been wonderful to watch him grow and exercise in his new tank after being in that tiny vase. When I found him, he looked so miserable, just swimming in circles around the surface. :( Now he is so happy, and growing like a weed! His fin damage is even starting to repair. He had some ammonia burns when I got him but they are completely gone now. :D

That is a cute fish, I love the round body with the single tail. Great find, and :Congrats:

That is a cute fish, I love the round body with the single tail. Great find, and :Congrats:

Thanks Fang! :D He is a treasure. :wub:

:Congrats: on the new fish and the rescue!

He's such a cutie. Congrats.gif

That type of fish is actually called a "nymph" (or "fantail nymph," specifically). A nymph is any fancy goldfish with a single tail, because they are usually what we call "culls" meaning they do not conform to breed standards and are usually taken out of hatches.

They are also called "tamasaba" when they come out of a breeding program that specifically chooses nymphs to breed. They are a very expensive fish, as they are almost exclusively bred in Japan.

I have had both nymphs and tamasaba goldfish and I loved them both!

Looks like a comet-y fantail mix? I saw one like that I need to share a pic of.

Well, whatever the fish turns out to be, s/he is definately a cutie! and a frisky one to boot!

Edited by Seymoura

He's such a cutie. Congrats.gif

That type of fish is actually called a "nymph" (or "fantail nymph," specifically). A nymph is any fancy goldfish with a single tail, because they are usually what we call "culls" meaning they do not conform to breed standards and are usually taken out of hatches.

They are also called "tamasaba" when they come out of a breeding program that specifically chooses nymphs to breed. They are a very expensive fish, as they are almost exclusively bred in Japan.

I have had both nymphs and tamasaba goldfish and I loved them both!

That's fascinating! :) I had never seen a fancy with a single tail until him. He sure is a little torpedo. :P

Well, whatever the fish turns out to be, s/he is definately a cutie! and a frisky one to boot!

Oh boy, he never stops moving. I suspect that he sleeps, though I have no evidence to confirm it. ;) He just has an endless supply of energy. I think he is just happy to have such a nice big home. He was so sad in that vase the store had him in. I have always felt like he is just so excited to have room to swim and clean water that he can't get enough of it! :D

:Congrats: on the new fish and the rescue!

Thanks! I am so glad I brought him home. We only had a ten gallon at the time, so it really wasn't ideal, but he needed help. :) I guess he is blessed because I found a 30 gallon tank for free not two days later! :D

Yes, they "yawn" more often if they have a lot of flukes in their gills.

I just read up on the nymph, as ryukin girl suggested that might be what he is, and the description seems to fit perfectly. The article I read says that since they are more streamlined than their fantail cousins, they are very agile and one of the faster and more active breeds. That sure sounds like him. I am still keeping a close eye out for yawning though, just to be sure. ;)

He is a cute little guy! Looks very happy with you indeed! :)

Aww, the way you wrote it makes him sound so cute! I like the way he wrote that "He is so bold and active!"

Makes me wish I had one goldfish just like him :D