Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kerstin

New Top For Tank Cat Safe?

Hi there,

my friend just gave me her 20 Gallon tank yesterday. So I put my new little guys in there for their QT. It's a step up from the 10G they were in before.

Anyways, it will be in the room my cats are in over night, so I was wondering if any of you have experience with those plastic tops for tanks with the lights in it. It fits on a groove on the inside of the tank. Should that be safe for cats? Just in case the want to sit on it? What do you guys think?

I wouldn't let my cat sit on anything, really. :rofl Just for fear they'd push it in.

I'm sure it'd be fine, though.

That's what I'm worried about, too. I wonder if there is anything I can do to make it safer?

Is it the black hard plastic hood?

Is it the black hard plastic hood?

Yes, that's the one, with the light alreadt built in and a big flap in the front for feeding

Jail bars, barbed wire, a watch tower, sirens and police dogs? :lol

Unless your cats dip into the catnip a little too often, I'm sure the most they could do is drink the water or go swimming. :rofl

Thanks Vee. lol

I'm sure they wont drink the water, but they might enjoy going fishing... And of course if the thing falls in with the light switched on...

Those lids are actually kinda strong.... i had a kitty stand on it on my 45 gal tank and nothing happened... but of course I changed the tank so she couldnt do it again :lol

My cat's preferred water source is my 38g. Does not matter that he has his own dish of fresh water. He can get his face to the water back by the HOB filter. He has never been interested in the GF, just drinks the water.

Well, I made some braces and used some duct tape on the outside, so I guess they should be safe until the pond is done in about 2 weeks or so. :)

They were never interested in the other tank, but this one, because it's closer to the ground is very interesting to them. :rolleyes:

My fat cat sits on my 10 gallon lid for warmth all the time. He hasn't broken it yet :rofl

My fat cat sits on my 10 gallon lid for warmth all the time. He hasn't broken it yet :rofl

Good news! Thanks. :D

If it fits snug and doesn't have much room to be pushed back and forth on top of the tank, it should be fine. But if there is enough room that the lid can move and fall into the tank, then I would separate the cats and tank over night, if somehow possible.

Other than that, it won't break that easily at all. :)

I wouldn't consider any thing cat proof those little boogers are smart. I fully expect world domination by a master race of cats one day. :rofl That being said, if they were after the fish they would make enough noise to wake you up I would think.

Putting a book on top would probably be enough to keep a curious cat from being able to lift lid.

I wouldn't consider any thing cat proof those little boogers are smart. I fully expect world domination by a master race of cats one day. :rofl That being said, if they were after the fish they would make enough noise to wake you up I would think.

Putting a book on top would probably be enough to keep a curious cat from being able to lift lid.

lol Maceo! I hope you're right. It would sure make for an interesting world if the felines were in charge - we could all look forward to lots of intense play followed by hours of napping in the sun. Now that's a political agenda I could get behind :hi5