Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mac

Magnetic Glass Cleaner?

Getting tired of using a razor blade on a stick to clean the glass. Was thinking about getting a mag float or equivalent. Any input on what to look for or stay away from would be appreciated. Tank is a 40 tall (24" H x 30" W x 12" D).

They are all pretty much the same, band name or not. Just make sure it has felt on it so as not to scratch the glass.

I just just a scrubby brush when I need, and the algae just come off :)

I've used a scraper and a magnetic cleaner - I found the scraper to be much better.

I've used a scraper and a magnetic cleaner - I found the scraper to be much better.

So the magnetic cleaners don't work? Back and sides are hard to get to with scraper, was hoping mag would be easier. But if they don't work it wouldn't be worth it.

They worked for me with 'softer' green algae, but anything particularly tough I had to use a metal scraper. The magnetic ones are good if you keep on top of it.

Ok thanks.

I use both the magnetic and the scrapers. I like the floating variety for the magnetic type. I have deep tanks and do not enjoy sticking my arm all the way in if it pops off the glass. The magnetic types are great for touch ups, soft diatom algea or that white haze/biofilm. For the really stubborn stuff I use a scraper but I only need to use that once in a great while while performing extensive cleaning.

I have a mag float and I love it. I have a very tall tank submerging an entire arm to clean is quite chilly.

I have to admit I only have the classic brown and green algae and nothing very stubborn.

Does it matter what size you get? It specifies getting a certain size for your particular sized tank. Will getting the large one for a 29 gal tank damage the glass or make it difficult to slide it?

Edited by Maree