Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sakura

Breeding Behavior, But No Milt

I woke up this morning to find eggs all over the tank and Maho being chased by Chiba and Loki! Chiba and Loki's breeding stars were way more pronounced than I have ever seen, and they were chasing after Maho with gusto! But I don't think they actually fertilized any of the eggs. The tank water wasn't cloudy, like I'd expect it to be if there was milt. Plus all the eggs had that "frosted glass" look to them. So what's the deal? How come the males didn't release any milt and fertilize the eggs?

I would like to try raising some fry from these fish if it happens again. Maho is still super chubby looking and bottom sitting, so I think she'll be releasing more eggs soon.

Here's a video of the eggs and them chasing her:

I'm no help here. But congrats on the eggs :) they must really be happy. And if you ever do get babies, I would be first in line to take some off your hands :D

Will you have to remove the eggs, or will they be ok in the tank?

I am sure they released milt. They look like they could well be fertilized...The eggs will get eaten if they stay in the tank though.

Yes, you will have more opportunities as she will spray eggs again. It is easier to remove them if you have a mop or an ornament that can be easily removed with eggs stuck on, they stick very very tight and removing from the glass damages them.

Oh okay. So maybe I just didn't notice the cloudiness from the milt, or maybe it was cleaned up by the filters by the time I saw what was going on. I'll try to get something to catch the eggs with. I was thinking of ordering some large java fern mats, would that work well for catching the eggs? Then I could just move the plant over to a nursery tank.

I know that baby brine shrimp are best for the fry to eat, but anyone know where I can find these? If it's not too involved, I wouldn't mind raising my own either.

I just lost my whole batch of fry, but I know that my lfs sells fresh, live baby brine, most of the time. If not they have the frozen version.. That is if they don't run out.

You could also get live bigger brine shrimp and breed them in a separate tank.

I've also heard giving them pieces of algae wafers is good for them too.

And don't forget the almighty turkey baster! That'll be your #1 best friend when the time comes. :rofl

That was a cool video to watch. I can't believe I only found a handful of eggs in my tank...they must have pigged out!

Oh okay. So maybe I just didn't notice the cloudiness from the milt, or maybe it was cleaned up by the filters by the time I saw what was going on. I'll try to get something to catch the eggs with. I was thinking of ordering some large java fern mats, would that work well for catching the eggs? Then I could just move the plant over to a nursery tank.

I know that baby brine shrimp are best for the fry to eat, but anyone know where I can find these? If it's not too involved, I wouldn't mind raising my own either.

water does not have to be cloudy to work.

eggs can be found online supply, Ocean Nuctrition or brine direct. artemia new live are the best, also decapsulated ok.

Thanks for the tips! Yesterday I found three eggs that I (and the fish) missed while cleaning up. This morning I can see two tiny eye dots in one of them! The temp in the tank is only 62, and it has taken about 36 hours for it to develop the eye spots. I can't see it wiggling around in the egg, but I definitely see eye spots! That sounds right on track, doesn't it?

I have no idea what to do though, because the egg is stuck onto the side of the tank towards the top. I need to do a water change, but the egg is up so high that I can only change about 35% of the water (otherwise it will be above the water level). Can I carefully try to nudge it off of the glass, or will it damage the egg even if I'm super careful? If I can't move the egg, then I'll just do smaller back-to-back water changes I guess. But then once it hatches, what do I do? I'll have to be there right when it happens to make sure it doesn't get swept away by the current! I suppose I could put it into a little breeding box net and leave it in the main tank, but that's assuming I am there to catch it right when it hatches...

Congrats!!!!!

Thats impressive hun.... Do you mind If I use that photo on the breeding page so we have a ref for a fertile egg? WOW that video too Im just in AWW hun :)

OMG that is SOOOOO cool!!!!!!

I would not touch the egg, just do 2 back to back water changes :)

Is there any ways you can fix a net around it for when it hatches?

leave it alone . if it hatch tned collect the fry with eye dropper 7syringe if desired. better is to prepare for the next spawn due in a few days time. give parents nest of filter floss, plants etc to deposit plenty of eggs . and be ready. these are most likly lost as you are not prepared.

Sure Koko, you can use any photos or videos you want from this thread! I'm sure there will be more photos to come because Chiba is chasing Maho around again!

I ordered some live plants for them to spawn in, but I'm also cleaning this fake bushy plant I have in case they spawn before the live plants get here. So I'll put that in the tank to collect the eggs, and then I can easily remove it to a nursery tank. I also got a second breeder box/net (my other one is in use) to keep the one baby in if that egg does hatch. I'll see if I can rig up a way to put the breeder net around the spot where the egg is, but I don't know if it'll work. Oh well, at least I have another spawn to look forward to! :)

Awesome hun you got some great shots.... Im thinking of having the egg pic at the top of the breeders forum too with a link to your Video up there....

Then put it on the main sites breeding page :)

Oh and of course I will be giving credit to you hun and a Medal once Im all done WHOOT!! :panana going to work on it tomorrow :)

Whoo hoo For You and Your Beauties :) I didn't have any visual milt either and I just moved some glass stones with the eggs on them to my nursery tanks and picked up the brine shrimp kit at the local chain pet shop :) I would love to follow your thread of fry if you decide to go through with it :) good luck :)

Awesome Koko, thanks!

I'm busy sterilizing a sponge filter and a small heater for the nursery tank to get ready for the next spawn. It's so exciting! :Jig: To think these fish looked on the verge of death a few months ago, and now I might be getting babies from them!

i cant wait to see the Mix of them this is going to be so neat hun :panana

This is so exciting!! Congratulations! :D

Awwww man! :( The egg is gone! Either the fish knocked it off the glass or they ate it. Bummer. Well, hopefully they spawn again soon.

Oh Koko, I just noticed my photo and video up at the top! That is so cool!

So unfortunately the fish ate that egg a few days ago. But, today I woke up after having slept in way too late, and found a few eggs left over still! The fish must have had a FEAST this morning! :doh11: I managed to save about 9; one was stuck on a rock, and the others were on the plant. I literally have no room right now to set up a tank for the eggs, so for now I just put them in this breeder net. If/when they hatch and get bigger I'll put them in their own space. This breeder net will be okay for now right? The holes in the net are very fine, so I don't think they'll be able to get out. Will I still be able to feed them their baby brine shrimp in this box? Here's the photos...

b003.jpg

b005-1.jpg

b006-1.jpg

b007.jpg

Well they are giving you another try :lol

I just love your photos hun, so clear WOW :o

That picture with the eyespots is amazing!