Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
dnalex

Activated Carbon...

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

Ever since joining this wonderful forum with its various people, I have been learning a lot, not the least of which is getting rid of the store bought filter cartridges and making my own.

I have been doing just that for a few months now, although I have been reluctant to get rid of the activated carbon (charcoal) component. So, until now, I've had bags of these in my filters. Today, I have officially removed them all. (I am getting ready to treat everyone with Prazipro after Sunday's water change).

My question is: do you still use activated carbon/charcoal in your filter setups? How will my removing the charcoal affect the water clarity, if at all? Thanks for your answers :)

Have not used it in years and my tanks still are very clear.

No carbon for me. Have not been using it for years except to remove meds. Even then, I just do water changes anyway to take advantage of clean water while removing the meds.

I've never used carbon. Unless I'm removing meds after treatment. Which up to now has only been new fish Prazi treatment, thankfully.

I do not use it. My tanks are perfectly clear.

The carbon is just such a "hassle" since you HAVE to renew it because after a while it will release nasties back into the water.