Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
haley_tichonuk22

Turtle Conditioners And Goldfish?

So i was thinking about putting a turtle conditioner in my fish tank for my snail shells because its made with high calcium but i'm not really sure if this is a good idea. it contains calcium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, somdium chloride, and thiamine hydrochloride. does anyone know if this would help with my snails shells or would it harm them and would this harm my goldies?

Don't. Sodium chloride is salt, do you know how much is in there as a quantity. If it's for turtles don't use it for the fish. You can put crushed coral in the tank to help calcium levels stay stable as well as your pH. You can also use a cuttlebone and put that in the tank, those work extremely well. (The kinds that you give birds). :)

Edited by Haruka

no it doesnt say the quantities thats why i'm really iffy about it. i've been trying to find crushed coral but in my small town i cant find any. i'll see if i can find cuttlebone though i'm sure they'll have it somewheres. do i just put it in the tank how it is or what do i do with it?

Yup just put it in the tank, the little weight on it will hold it down :)

great advice from taylor.. i used cuttlefish bone in my tanks for years as i had snails.. they don't harm the fish at all and provided calcium for the snails.. but only when the snails ate it.. sometimes,i would buy an extra one and crush it up into small pieces and after a few days, all the pieces would sink.. then the snails had more opportunities to find it :)

or, if i felt my fish were being piggies with the snail food, i would remove the snails into a bowl of aquarium water, add the cuttlebone pinned to the bottom with an aquraium rock and feed them there either spinach, cucumber or other yummy things they love to eat.

The cuttlebone is a bit hard to keep down at first. It will soak up water over a few days though and then automatically stay at the bottom. The ones I buy come with this weird metal strip clip. Remove it if you get that type. I doubt it is good in the water.

And also, go with the plain white, unflavored one. They might have a not so nice smell too them. The more they smell, the fresher they are.

With fresh veggies, I always put in enough to last for at least 24 hours. During that time the snails do get their fair share too. Helen's suggestion with the bowl is very good too. You could even get one of those 1 gallon betta bowls and use them as dining room for the snails.

They also love some protein, like goldfish pellets, and I even saw mine eat blood worms. They sure like gel food too. I moved my snails into my tropical tanks (which is where they should be kept actually) and there they mainly eat gel food and pellets.

Yeah i feed my snails fresh veggies all the time and they love it! i usually have to take them out and put them in a bowl to feed cuz they never seem to be able to find the food in the big tank. i just don't know if they are getting a sufficient amount of calcium because i never gave them anything before since i never knew what to do with the cuttlebone haha but now i know:) i don't see any shell deterioration or anything i'm just doing it as a precaution

haley -

Cuttlebone is great for turtles, too - and they love it!

Remove the metal clip and use a knife to cut away the hard back. It's surprisingly easy to do. Cut/saw some chunks off for the turts - oh, a square inch or two, approximately.

Drop a chunk per turt, and watch them go wild! They nom it up like it's ice cream! It is so funny to watch them go zooming across the tank with a huge piece of cuttlebone in their mouths!

Great for the shell of our lovely shelled friends. :D

I used to raise birds & I always got my cuttlebones at the big chain pet stores. Not the preboxed ones.....they almost ALL sell them in the "bulk" sections. You can buy a few (and they don't have the metal clip) for next to nothing! And you can pick out the big nice ones!

Anybody ever heard of using oyster shells for calcium?

You can buy it at any feed store, it is used as a supplement

for laying hens to strengthen the eggshells.

i picked up some cuttlebone today so all is well :) haha im going to tie it to a rock with fishing line to weigh it down now.

And ive never heard of that but it makes sense to me that it would work because i have random shells in my tank to try up the calcium