Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
waterfaller1

Big Upgrade!

I have been working on hubby for over a year to agree to take down our reef tank, and turn the tank into a fw tank. Today we finally agreed it would be much easier on the bank account to do so. So my 2 goldfish in the 29, will have a huge upgrade to a 90! :) Now I need help designing a plan that will work, with minimal changes. The lights can all come down. They are 2X250 MH & 4 X 110 VHO's. I have lots of lighting options, that's not the issue. The issue is hubby wants to keep it with the sump as filtration. I know I have seen this done before, where you make a biofilter in a sump using scrubbies, or bioballs, or similar. There are three 840 GPH pumps on the tank. One is the return from the sump, and two are on a closed loop. I am thinking the one return from the sump should be enough? The action of the water going down the overflow, will also aerate the water. Am I missing anything? Do you think this will work?

I am so excited for them to have enough room to grow up like they should. :nana

Edited by waterfaller1

Wow, that is a huge upgrade! If only they knew, they would be so excited! :bounce

It sounds to me like your plan will work, but I don't have much experience with sumps myself. Will you be getting some new fish too then eventually?

Thanks for the reply. Maybe a few more would be nice. How many would be comfortable?

Thanks for the reply. Maybe a few more would be nice. How many would be comfortable?

I think 9 fish would be absolute maximum, but 8 would be a safer max. :)

I will have to think about it, I kind of like them as a pair. We'll see. I am just so excited for them to have a nice big home..woot! :krazy:

Thanks, I am super happy. I found the info I needed on the discus forum, so we can just watch the updates as we go along here. :happydance

I hate to enable (hahaha) but the 29 gal would be a great qt, should you decide to get a friend or 2 :idea:))

All I can say is your 90 gallon tank is going to look AMAZING judging from how gorgeous the tank in your photo is! WOW! SOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!! Congrats on the upgrade that would be fun! I've never had anything larger than a 55 and have little experience with sumps so I'll leave that to others but I look forward to seeing the end result!!!

oh wow your tank looks so pretty x

Congrats on getting the upgrade :D Big tanks are fun. I was going to say that since your tank will be understocked, the sump will work fine.

Your 29 is such a beautiful tank, have fun planning the 90. I have no idea about sump pumps, but I'm sure if you and your husband put your heads together, you both can make it work!

Think of all the new fishies you can get!

Edited by Seymoura

fantastic! and i don't know anything about sumps either.. although, i think miki does. (mikiroll?) i am sure he will stop by soon enough to advise..

best of luck.. sounds like you're going to have a great new home for your fish..

Oh cool! I also wanted a SUMP in my 200Gal but it got too complicated! Might change things around if yours seems easy to build :)

As for the amount of fish it really depends on their size. The 2 you already have are nice and big. In my 200Gal I will not be adding more than 8 8inch fish. But at the same time, I want to add 8 2inch fish n my 80Gal :) It really depends, I like to have them be able to have enough swimming space without being in each other's face all the time.

Do you have a picture of the SUMP?

Thank you all so much! I am so excited.{will probably say this until it happens..lol}

Basically how it works is, you turn the sump into a giant canister filter by using the same type of ceramic media you find in a canister. This way, the media can stay submerged 100%. If you use the bioballs, or scrubbies, then you have to set up a drip system, and the media has to be partially out of the water. So you get laundry net bags, or a basket, you place your media in there, and the bacteria colonizes it. The sump is a 20 gallon long, it is drilled and has an external pump which is your return to the tank. The water flows through the overflow by gravity,through a filter sock to catch debris, passes by your media, is then picked up by the external pump via a bulkhead, and returns to the tank. I have many T-5 set ups for lighting, this will make the tank much cooler than it presently runs. Plus the use of only one pump vs. three being used now. I will miss my sw fish, some I have had for a very long time. But our electric bill, and the cost to maintain it{salt, chemicals, using our RO/DI unit} is very high.

Here is the latest video of Matsui and Mr. Magu.

This is one day after Mr. Magu was not feeling well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AYGwct7Vrs

Edited by waterfaller1

Oh cool! I also wanted a SUMP in my 200Gal but it got too complicated! Might change things around if yours seems easy to build :)

As for the amount of fish it really depends on their size. The 2 you already have are nice and big. In my 200Gal I will not be adding more than 8 8inch fish. But at the same time, I want to add 8 2inch fish n my 80Gal :) It really depends, I like to have them be able to have enough swimming space without being in each other's face all the time.

Do you have a picture of the SUMP?

Good morning. Let me go see if I have an old pic of the sump, maybe during the build. That's what I want too, for these guys to have plenty of room. Plus, what if I got more fish and it changed their behavior? I love the way they interact with each other. BRB with a pic.

Here's a few pics during the build. This is before the return pump was added. This was before we moved into this home. We came and built the tank and worked on the kitchen cabinets before we moved in.

The pumps you see are the closed loop pumps. They won't be needed. But basically the same type of pump{a Blueline} is now sitting just the other side of the bulkhead in that open space.

Picture1145.jpg

Picture1143.jpg

prepping the stand hubby built

Picture1127.jpg

Picture1137.jpg

Picture1119.jpg

finished tank

Picture1160.jpg

Edited by waterfaller1

oh wow how handy!!! I now have a large Pond Filter on my 200Gal but I am not too sure I like it. I like the idea of the trickle SUMP. But I don't know how I would do it.

Usually they don't change behavior with each other - just towards the new fish. I have 2 baby ranchus who have been BFFs since day1 - regardless of who was added to their tank. THen I have a few solitary guys and some bullies :)

okay.. i am now as jealous as all h3ll!! can he build me one too?!?!?! :rofl

Here are a couple pics of the plan to use a basket for the media. Net bags can also be used.

The water flows through the filter socks, you just replace these every few days with a clean one, and rotate.

DSC_2315.jpg

DSC_2329.jpg

*these photos belong to jcardona1

Edited by waterfaller1

The sump is a 20 gallon long,

Correction~ the sump is a 29 gallon. I need more coffee. ;)

Here is another application, using the laundry mesh bags to hold the media.

This was a lot of media, because it was a 90 gal sump on a 400 gal tank

DSC07396.jpg

* photo belongs to jcardona1

Edited by waterfaller1

Thanks for sharing pics of your system :) My hubby is not nearly so helpful with my fishkeeping addiction, er, hobby :rofl

Looks like it will be awesome! I'd love to have a sump for my larger tanks someday, it's so much more clean looking and can hold so much media.

Oh wow that looks super. Congrats to you.

Beautiful Fish and tank now, I'm sure the new one will look awesome. :)