Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
2008paul

Cat Keep Bringing In Goldfish /:

my baby lived for 19 years.. bless his little soul..

indoors only at night.. curfew as soon as sun went down.. we live on a main road.. always had.. desexed and no problems. i won't keep a cat indoors during the day.. i certainly don't want to be indoors when there's light outside..

i have a trap door installed. at 6pm he knew it was dinner time and i would trap it shut.. so the moment he came in after 6pm, there was no getting out till the morning.

as far as coming home with goldfish, nothing you can do to change the cat.. but the owners if they can be found, should probably be told to buy a net for their pond.

does your cat bring the fish back during daylight hours? or night time hours? around dinner time? was there any pattern to the two incidneces that you noticed?

also, to me, it appears that if he's only just started, the pond may be new to the area (which may explain the size of the fish too).. are there new occupants in a house near by? or had you noticed anyone building anything new recently? it's most likely come from that house..

Sooooooo many replys :o

Thanks people, it's hard to keep the cat in though as we have 3 others and no cat tray /:

Putting a tag on him sounds like a good idea.

I'll try and find the owner, I would not mind much if he bring them alive then I could put them in my tank and keep them for free :P

Thanks,

Paul

And of course it all depends on the cat itself. There are smart cats that don't go near traffic. Lucky ones that don't get hit.

But I personally have seen so many dead cats on the road here in my area, it saddens me very much and I don't want to take the risk. I don't want mine to end up like that; her little body smeared all over the highway, so I keep her inside and entertained there.

She has buddies, four fish tanks to stare at fish, a million toys and literally her own ROOM.

All this is every cat owner's personal decision though. They gotta know the risks and be aware of all that. I would just temporarily keep the cat inside and try to figure out where she's got the fish from. After all if I was a fish owner and a "stray" cat comes on my property, killing my fish, I'd be somewhat mad and try to get the cat to stop. Who knows what the fish owner would do if he finds your cat messing with his fish. Just because there is a open pond doesn't mean your cat has a ticket for free fish. She still is going onto someone else's property and damaging what belongs to him.

It's like a downsized version of the stray dog that kills the neighbor's chickens.

You and the fish owner should figure out something together, you both have the responsibility to do so :)

My point being that just because two people have different opinions one person can NOT then go on to say that the other is not 'open minded' and doesn't Know anything about the other persons opinions. It IS very rude what was said.

Id already said before a few posts back that 'ok we'll agree we disagree, just forget it move on'. Each to their own....

Which was my main point of adding that I have always worked hands on with animals..... meaning that in jobs like that you need to learn and be understanding of peoples different ways. I don't need to told in that way that I don't know!!.

I have nothing against people that want to keep their cats in thats up to them.

Like I couldn't care less if your a 40yo virgin stamp collecting train Spotter to someone thats a S*x craved, SnM Mistress. Thats their business, LoL.

You cant judge and force your opinions/beliefs on someone and be rude to them just because they don't believe the same thing as you.

Maybe its an American, English thing too, everyones cats here go out here (And YES Im sure theres naturally the odd exception) and I know many an outdoor cat that has got 18yo.

I have a good American friend who has had two puppies since Christmas that have died having been run over in on the road by her house. :(

But anyways enough now.....

Fang thats why I thought a temporary collar and tag may be helpful (if he doesnt wish to keep the cat in) if the Fish owner does get hold of the cat in some way so then the Fish owner could ring the number on the nag.

I know if it was my fish and I knew that they were disappearing Id be keeping my eye out for a cat and asking about owners of it.

I couldn't hurt it though, LoL. But I know other non cat lovers surely may do.

If theres a cat in my garden that isn't mine, I just let the dog out there, LoL.

(And before the moan he doesn't get to get hold of them!!!)

Paul also if you live in a more built up area with more cats in residence in neighbours houses too (say for example if you are in Derby England, Terrace houses ect) a cat would not have a real big territory.

Goodluck :)

Edited by Oranda Lou

I find it funny that some think it is wrong/cruel to keep cats inside, yet we keep fish (who are naturally meant to swim free) in tanks. Yes our fish are bred in captivity, and so are cats! Domestic cats are centuries removed from their wild ancestors. They are an invasive species really, especially in Cities.

A cat allowed to roam can get in so much trouble. And to say a property owner must protect his pond, garden, etc from your roaming cat is wrong. I have a right to enjoy my property without neighbour's cat digging up my gardens, using it as a toilet, etc.

It is a by-law here, cats must be kept indoors, or tied if out. Your rights as a pet owner may NOT infringe on the rights of others. Loose cats are picked up by the SPCA.

On the issue of ponds though, here you must fence a large pond, much like a pool, to protect children.

My opinion. :)

Edited by Red

I think people here just know that there are a fare few cats about and other wild life too so just naturally cover their Ponds (with mesh or netting) or do/make/put out some sort of Cat deterant. :)

Edited by Oranda Lou

A few pond owners I know use netting or plastic mesh fencing over their ponds. Mostly to keep leaves & debris out, easier to lift & hose the net than to scoop leaves out every few days, especially in our long Autumn season.

Edited by Red

i think here, we all need to take a step back from the conversation this has become and focus on the topic the member has posted.

i tried to ask a few questions from the member to help him determine where the pond may be, but he was obviously overwhelmed by the replies of people?s opinions to their own beliefs, rather than receiving the help he would have initially posted for.

in future, i think it's best we do not turn someone else?s post into a general discussion board for everyone's two bob as irresistible as it may be.

to paul, i hope you find the goldfish pond owner and the two of you can amicably find a solution to the problem.

Here here Stakos!!!. I couldn't agree more

All Iv done was post an opinion and then get bonbarded, lol.

I cant count the amount of times I said ok drop it, each their own opinion and ideas.

I too have gave advise and questions and hopefully it can get amicably sorted between you Paul and the Fish owner.

Goodluck :)

Edited by Oranda Lou

Oranda Lou, you called the unknown goldfish owner stupid and irresponsible a few times, while expressing your opinion, which was unnecessary since we don't know the situation. I don't know about where the original poster lives, but here, we have by-laws against free-roaming cats and appropriate fines if you can't follow them. The laws are in place both to protect the cats and to protect people from having their property destroyed. I spent many years with a very irresponsible dog owner as a neighbor, it's not fun to watch someone else's pet ruin your yard :(

I didn't know that about the by-laws in Canada Buggy! I so wish we had those where I live, we really need them. I'm tired of seeing dead cats on the roads :(

Oranda Lou, I will not respond "tit for tat" to every negative thing you said about me, but I do have to say one quick thing. You did not get bombarded, as you claim. I made an initial post saying it's better to keep cats indoors, and then you responded to me disagreeing. You're not a victim here or anything like that. Also I stopped arguing about this many many posts ago, but you're the one who can't seem to let it go. You need to remember that you're in a place that is full of animal lovers. You're not the only one who has had years of experience working with animals, so you don't need to keep bringing that up. No matter how much experience any of us have working with animals, we all still have new things that we can learn from one-another. So please, enough with saying bad things about me already. This forum is meant to be a friendly place.

Edited by Sakura

God you cant just drop it can you.

My last reply to you was just simply saying what you said WAS rude after me saying ok just leave it.

NOT a load of bad things about you as you seem to say!!. Iv been nice to you to get rude back.Maybe we just have diffent standard as to what rude is. :(

And from then just simply explaining why I said about the netting to and talking to Red.

Take it from now on every ones not allowed to have their own opinions on different matters now. I wont bother. You keep going on. :(

Edited by Oranda Lou

There was a law suit around here concerning a free roaming cat that was going onto a neighbors property and harassing birds. The neighbor was live trapping and spray painting the cats.

This person was charged with animal cruelty. Which I felt was unfair. Basically it says people need to tolerate free roaming cats on their property without any recourse.

ON the other hand, I heard of another case from a friend of my fathers, where their family killed a free roaming cat on their property. IHO, that's a quite extreme measure to take with a house cat being a nusense. No trying to figure out if the cat was a stray or getting a shelter to come live trap.

If your free roaming outside cat roams onto other people's property, then you need some kind of mutual agreement IHO. And when things don't work out, some communication and troubleshooting to the benefit of both parties.

Just wanted to say that it is quite an English/British thing to have your cats go outdoors. Ours go outdoors whenever they like, and we live in a rural area and have had very few accidents with them. From what I can work out in other countries there tend to be big predators (like coyotes) that are a threat to cats so that's why a lot of people keep theirs indoors. Some cats are brough up as indoor ones too, ours are outdoor rascals!

I would also say from my experience people don't tend to protect their ponds over here. But ponds ARE often attacked by herons etc. I reckon that wherever your cat is getting these fish from is a pond and probably unprotected, so it's the owner's fault that they haven't protected it. As well as a tag on the collar, if your kitty doesn't have a bell you should invest in one of those as a good way to warn animals about their presence :)

Also our cats rarely catch wildlife. Regarding that argument, if the cats weren't domesticated like they are now, there would just be the same number but feral, so in the end the whole predator argument would balance out.

I love my cat. She has never and well never go outside to pester the neighbors, get hit by or killed by a car or poisoned...

The lie span of an outdoor cat is about four to seven years. My Tasha is now 12 years old. And would of never lived that long if she was an indoor/outdoor.

However I must admit I was one of those that thought cats were OK being kept outdoor until mine kept coming up missing or/and dead. I had to learn the hard way. Many people still have to learn the hard way. I am sure there are exceptions but do you want to risk it with your beloved pet?

Keeping a cat safe is not really an opinion or even different for different places. If poison kills here it well kill where ever you live. Just like cars running over a cat it well happen in the city as well as in the county.

I hope you never have to learn the hard way. No I am not sorry if I come off rude. Someone has to speck out for the cats/dogs that can't talk for themselves.

Oh and back on topic even other things can get to your fish in a pond. Keeping a net over the top well help stop the cat as well as the wild life out there that can and well eat them.

Also our cats rarely catch wildlife. Regarding that argument, if the cats weren't domesticated like they are now, there would just be the same number but feral, so in the end the whole predator argument would balance out.

Hey Goldfish Carer, I think you wouldn't really notice it if your cat did catch wildlife. It seems to me that you'd rarely ever see it happening or see evidence of it. Maybe look up numbers for your area to get an idea of whether they're catching wildlife or not. I really think it must be similar to the U.S. since cats behavior isn't different based on the country it's in, you know? And you guys have song birds there too. :)

Also that's not true what you said about feral cats. There is no natural predator that is the equivalent to a feral house cat in Europe or the U.S. (or most places really), so if it weren't for people bringing cats to all continents of the world as pets, there wouldn't be any wildlife being eaten by a predator like a house cat in these places. So it doesn't actually balance out. I hope I wrote that in a way that made sense! :P

I have two cats that are mostly indoors (especially during the winter). They have a large balcony at the back of the house where they can bake their brains in the summer and an indoor/outdoor enclosed cat run where they can watch all the wildlife. I keep them indoors because of cars, coyotes, and large birds of prey in my neighbourhood. I get really annoyed when I find cat droppings in my flower beds, vegetable garden, etc. So I view my keeping indoor cats as an act of being a good neighbour.

As for keeping an uncovered fish pond: in my neighbourhood it wouldn't last long. There's lots of blue herons and other fish eating birds here.

Sorry, just had to put in my two cents.

Just wanted to say that it is quite an English/British thing to have your cats go outdoors. Ours go outdoors whenever they like, and we live in a rural area and have had very few accidents with them. From what I can work out in other countries there tend to be big predators (like coyotes) that are a threat to cats so that's why a lot of people keep theirs indoors. Some cats are brough up as indoor ones too, ours are outdoor rascals!

I would also say from my experience people don't tend to protect their ponds over here. But ponds ARE often attacked by herons etc. I reckon that wherever your cat is getting these fish from is a pond and probably unprotected, so it's the owner's fault that they haven't protected it. As well as a tag on the collar, if your kitty doesn't have a bell you should invest in one of those as a good way to warn animals about their presence :)

I have to disagree with the last sentence. Only if you happened to live where house-cats were originally native would this be the case. I think that's Egypt.

The domesticated cat population is not only far larger then it would ever be in nature, it's also spread to continents where cats would not normally be native to. The house cat is a common introduced species in most places that can do ecological harm just like any other introduced predators.

LOL I have to add this cause well it is funny.

One of my outdoor cats that went missing at 2 years of age. Would catch squirrels. I am not kidding. One day hubby and I come home and our cat General was running down the street with a full grown one in his mouth. We chanced him to make him drop it. Also the birds on our street would dive boom him as he walked by peck his ears. That was funny too. Poor guy.

Hehe sorry but the comment about wild life reminded me of that cat.

Oh and before that I had a solid black cat that was an indoor out door cat. He went missing when he was about 3 years old. But before that he use to bring me things and drop them on my feet. Small birds, mice, lizards even a snake once. The bad part was they were all alive. He always gave me a the ugliest look when I would not catch them when he dropped them. lol He was trying to teach me to hunt.

So yep they do and can catch all sorts of stuff. Just not all cats do.

Sorry I know still off topic just wanted to share.

Back to the original topic- I think that the goldfish owner really needs to cover that pond... an uncovered one is really just asking for trouble. Herons, raccoons, are all natural predators that are expected. I really rather not engage in the indoor vs outdoor cat argument...so just IMO since the predators are expected already (whether cat, raccoon, etc) the goldfish pond should be covered. Unless we start keeping our raccoons indoors from now on?

Yes, except the goldfish source needs to be found first. So they can be notified that predators can access their goldfish too easily. Maybe they are unaware that their goldfish pond is poorly designed or too shallow.

It's true that wild animals are still going to be out there possibly also catching goldfish. Since the cat can be kept indoors temp, I don't see why not.

This topic did take a turn. Hopefully, by now the goldfish source has been found and the kitty in question has a collar with tags on it. And the pond (if that is where the fish were coming from) is properly netted.

That is good to hear. Maybe with the net the problem well stop now. Thanks for the update.

hopefully the owner of the fish wont hurt your cat

hopefully the owner of the fish wont hurt your cat

That is a good point :(

When we lived in a more rual area we used to sometimes let our dogs roam free. One day they got onto someone's land who didn't like dogs and he fed them both rat poison - even though they were both wearing tags and he could have called us to come get them. Only one survived. There are some cruel and sick people out there....

Edited by Chrissy_Bee