Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
2008paul

Cat Keep Bringing In Goldfish /:

My cat Josh keeps bringing in goldfish /:

This is the 2nd time he as brought in a goldfish, gone upstairs with it and eat it :/

I do try and stop him but it's already to late. I'm just wondering if they is any thing I can do to stop him and where is he keep getting them from :S

I'm sorry if this topic don't fit in here.

Thanks,

Paul

Do you have a pond or is it from a neighbors pond? I would keep the cat inside for a while.

You could try putting a lid on your tank, or netting over your pond, if that's where you keep them. Other wise I'd suggest putting the tank in a room your cat can't get to, or keeping the cat indoors if you have a pond.

If it's a neighbor's pond I'd ask around and see if you can't find a way to compromise with your neighbor's pond and your cat.

Ultimately, if it's your cat doing it it would be best to keep it indoors.

I would definitely ask about to find out who in your local area has the pond and maybe have a word with them

I'm thinking they may be quite p*st off about it though, but if it was my pond and someone else's cat was poaching Fish I wouldn't have no qualms putting a good net over it.

I'm not being funny but they cant expect to have an openly accessible pond and some sought of animal, be it a fox or another Cat or whatever try not to get the fish.

Are you in Derby England?. We have a lot of Foxes over here I know.

My cats always got a Bird (well I end up finding piles of feathers somewhere on my lawn, bless um) or playing bop-it with mouse and she gets on with it, its just nature. But as a Fish lover Id definitely have to try my best to find out where they coming from.

Hope it goes well for you and if you find the person they are nice enough people about it.

Surely if its happened a few times they should have got round to protecting them better anywyas.

Goodluck :)

Edited by Oranda Lou

Thanks guys, it's not my fish as don't have a pond or next door.

I don't know any one around here with a pond at all /:

I wonder if maybe he is going into some one house and getting them out a open fish-tank and they don't seem like pond size fish.

Thanks

Paul

Yeah I gathered from what you wrote they weren't yours ;)

Surely like I said with the pond though...If you knew your fish were going missing then you would have the brain power to cover the tank up/close the window/check the cat flap ect ect.

And They may still be from a pond. My Mums got a pond that is half below and half above ground and her fish are always having babies so always a "Fresh supply" of smaller Fish.

That smaller size would also be a lot easier for a cat to lug out of a pond or tank too, weight wise.

I'm just picturing a cat trying to haul out of a tank/pond and drag along a Huge 10 inch Karp size fish :rofl

I would definitely still try and ask about if it is possible.

These people MUST obviously know that there fish are going missing... unless its like my Mums pond that has a constant supply of Fish so to speak. They should also be doing more to protect there poor fish in my opinion.

Edited by Oranda Lou

Yeah, and keep the cat indoors for now too. If the fish owner saw the cat and might be mad, who knows what he will do to protect his fish, if you know what I mean :(

Thanks guys, it's not my fish as don't have a pond or next door.

I don't know any one around here with a pond at all /:

I wonder if maybe he is going into some one house and getting them out a open fish-tank and they don't seem like pond size fish.

Thanks

Paul

:rofl:rofl im sorry but all i can picture is the fish owner going to feed the fish in the tank finding them all gone being like wtf??? wheres my fish!?

anyways on a more serious note i would indeed keep the cat indoors not only will it keep it from eating anymore goldies(which could cuase parasites,or bones lodged in the throat) it will also keep the cat safe from neighbor hood dogs,being hit my cats and all sorts of nasty other fates.

Oh sad! :( Definitely keep your cat indoors from now on. If that was my pond or tank, I'd be super mad! And also, if it were my cat, I'd be super worried that the owner of the fish might hurt the cat! It's best to keep your cats indoors anyways, because of the danger for the cats themselves, and the terrible destruction they do to the wildlife. ;)

Oh noooo I could never keep my cat indoors. I think its kinda cruel. My cat would go mad if I started keeping her in. Especially just because someone couldn't take care of their tank/Fish/Pond properly. Huntings just a natural instinct after all.

NO offence to anyone and definately NOT wanting to get that debate going!!. ;)

The only reason Id be worried about my cat going back out is if the quite frankly stupid owner of the Fish (where ever they come from) actually realised and put poison down or tried to harm your cat instead of doing something to protect the fish like they should have in the 1st place!!.

I felt that way at first too when people tried to tell me to keep my cats indoors. But the more I researched and learned about it with an open mind, the more I realized that actually the cruel thing is letting them go outdoors. My cats are all indoor cats and they are some of the happiest cats in the whole world. :) And they are also not lazy at all, and are a very healthy weight! Plus, they are always safe and so is the wildlife.

Edited by Sakura

Heehee, like I said not gona get in that debate but Iv worked with Dogs and Cats (Guineas. Rats, Hamsters too) since I was a teen, so years, Im getting old now :rofl

My sister has Pure breed Persians that mostly stay indoors but she's built a huge outdoor run for them. I can understand that type of cat.

I lived in a 1st floor flat(apartment) for a few years when I was an older teen and had two cats then that stayed in just because their was no instant access to the outside. So I have done it before.

But I could never have a non Ped Cat indoors a house just for the sake of it.

MY precious beautiful Girl was attacked last year, the vets think it was a dog, her stomach was hanging out. She ended up having half of her intestines removed and a nice tummy tuck, and we thought she was going to need to be PTS 3 times.

But she got the stitches out of her belly, got the all clear and I couldnt have kept her indoors after that if I had wanted to, she was even going mad to get out and have her usual mooch about even when ill, :rofl

She's 10 this year and Iv had her since she was a little bitty Kitten.

She's an excellent hunter too :rofl

She has some yummy little snacks :rofl

Its just natural nature.

I must admit though if I catch her with a bird b4 its too late then I'll take it off of her but otherwise......

But then it is each to there own I suppose. The world would be a very boring place if every one had the same opinions and way of doing things ;)

Oh and theres not really much wildlife around here. Except the mice and the odd English garden type bird.

Not really that exotic here :rofl

Hay Paul Iv just had a thought......

May be you could get a snap buckle collar (NOT not not those horrible elastic ones!!) with a tag on it with your name and address/phone number just in case the irresponsible Fish owner does get hold of your cat or something like that. Then they could contact you and also know that he has a home and is a pet

Its not that expensive either.

When my cat was getting over her last bit of illness and started going out again I got one for her and bought a tiny little metal screw up thing that u put a roll of paper in with your details on. Its was like £1.

Even though every one round here knows everyone elses cats I just done it while she still looked shaved, scruffy and ill looking so stranger people knew she was someones.

She doesn't wear one now and wouldn't have one on her. She's chipped....

But yeah anyways you get ma point..... :rofl

Edited by Oranda Lou

But those are exactly the type of wildlife that are in danger from birds. It's not "natural wildlife" going on because house cats are not a natural predator in most areas, they are an invasive predator that does serious damage to wild bird and rodent populations. You do have to keep cats indoors from the time they're young though, because any cat lover knows they're very persistent when they want something. So I hear you on that, but honestly that terrible accident never would have happened if you'd just kept her inside to begin with. :( Unfortunately this is a serious issue and not the kind of thing people can afford to have differences in opinion about. Did you know that house cats kill an estimated 1 billion birds each year in the U.S.? It's actually a more serious threat than most people realize. House cats are known to hunt and kill prey even when they're not hungry and not going to eat it. Also the life-span of outdoor cats is greatly reduced because of all the dangers out there for them. My cats are like my kids. I want them to be happy, live long and healthy, and stay out of danger. So I keep them inside :)

I think we'll just agree to disagree on that one then ;):)

I don't think the unknown goldfish owner should be called irresponsible, the cat is wandering freely and coming home with fish from who-knows-where.

I think we'll just agree to disagree on that one then ;):)

Eh, if you say so. But it doesn't make sense to disagree with the facts. Just think about it with an open mind and without your preconceived ideas, that's all I ask.

Oh well in my opinion the fish owner like I said where ever they come from, should surely know that the fish keep going missing so they should be doing something to cover the fish for their safety. Anyone with half a brain wouldnt leave it so the fish can still be able to be taken.

As said before, Cover the tank, check window, cat flaps ect, Or you'd get a cover for a pond.

Is what I meant by irresponsible.

Like if you had someone come on here and say "My fish keep getting taken out of my pond" I don't know anyone that the first thing out of their mouths wouldn't be Is it covered/netted.

Sakura the saying "Agree to disagree" simply means that we both agree that we both disagree on the subject being spoken about, so thats cool.. move on... Is what it means :rofl;)

Like I said befor each to their own.

Edited by Oranda Lou

I know what the saying means. I just would have liked to hear that you would try to look into it with an open mind and listen to the facts of the matter, but it seems like that's not going to happen.

Please don't be patronizing (which that WAS) about it I have been perfectly kind and open in saying well every is different and has different opinions, agree we disagree and move on now.

I have worked with animals Since I was 15, well over 15 years now, I don't need to be told I don't know different ways and opinions of animal keeping. And definately spoke to like that either

Edited by Oranda Lou

Please don't be patronizing (which that WAS) about it I have been perfectly kind and open in saying well every is different and has different opinions, agree we disagree and move on now.

I have worked with animals Since I was 15, well over 15 years now, I don't need to be told I don't know different ways and opinions of animal keeping. And definately spoke to like that either

You misunderstood me; things can come across the wrong way sometimes over the internet. I was definitely not being patronizing, that's not something I do. I just get really bummed out when people refuse to have an open mind and look at the facts of a thing. Especially when it's such an important issue. I stand by what I said, and I have nothing more to add. :hi

I just get really bummed out when people refuse to have an open mind and look at the facts of a thing.

Apologise then you add the 'but'... and just repeat what you said in that last post.

Again

I have worked with animals Since I was 15, well over 15 years now, I don't need to be told I don't know different ways and opinions of animal keeping.

Like I said every ones different, different beliefs ect doesn't mean one is right and one is wrong. You cant talk to people like that and or in that way just because they dont agree with something.

Oh I give up :wall

Edited by Oranda Lou

I think at the very least you need to keep the cat inside until you can figure out where the goldfish are coming from. I think you owe the goldfish that much.

On the indoors/outdoors cat issue, I think it depends a great deal on location overall. IHO, overall cats should spend most of their time indoors and never go out at night. I cannot tell how many near misses I've had with cats streaking across the road at night. No matter what you think about indoors VS outdoors cat, for the average person bring kitty indoors when it's getting dark out. Once when I was outside at night, I noticed two people leaning over the side of the road. Their cat had just been hit and was laying there seriously injured and bleeding, probably fatally injured. I ranted online about letting cats out at night again. I mean if you are going to have a cat with outdoor privileges, at least take the cat's safety in consideration when it's dark out and difficult to see your cat on the road.

And if you happen to live out in the boonies where there's not many roads, then your cat should be indoors during the night to cut down on their hunting wildlife. Which you probably have more of since you are far away from most roads.

I promised I wouldn't add my two cents, but I just want to say that I have had many cats and have worked with animals in all capacties from vets' offices, to zoos, to a marine park and I would never have an outdoor cat again. Of course, I live in Los Angeles, right in the city. But my indoor kitty is a lucky guy and I just would worry way too much.

I agree with Sakura about protecting wildlife, but I also keep my cat indoors because of this: "The average life span of an outdoor cat is greatly reduced. Studies suggest an outdoor cat only lives 5-7 years, while indoor cats can live 13-18 years." Most die due to injury. Not worth that risk for me.