Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Oranda Lou

Cat Got Chu'y :(

So what a way to wake up.....

To a great big splish splosh and Chu'y landing on my leg, bless him.

My tank up stairs is right next to my bed (as a bedside cabinet would be) and on the lid theres a little hole thats about an inch by 2 inches (one of the feeding holes I lost the lid for. Normally covered but was obviously knocked off. So have to find a better way to cover it now)

Anyways so the bl**dy cats managed to swipe Chu'y out of the hole tank space and that poxy little hole (Chu'y has always been a chilled out fish that isn't overly energetic and will just sit there for a time or just mooch about, unlike the others that just don't stop)

I picked him straight up and had a little look and there is no broken skin just a big chunk of scales missing one side, I suppose it would be like the equivalent area of our shoulder and a few the other side.

I think she's (the cat) has "spooked" Fishy too cos he's swimming on the Squew wiff a bit now but otherwise ok. Leonard seems perfectly fine.

Chu'y was, unsurprisingly, breathing rather rapid but I put some of their food in straight away and he did swim to get some (and Fishy)

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO pleased that theres no broken skin, I was soo nervous giving him the once over. But the scale loss is very noticeable.

Hes going threw such a beautiful colour change now too. From the Dark Blue he was when I got him, now he's a gorgeous bronze/Gold and silver belly.

So anyways........ Was thinking all I have Api Aquarium Salt should I add it to the tank or would it be like (for want of a better terminology) adding salt to a wound, excuse the pun but you know what I mean, would it be too much right away and make it sting too much ect

Or am I just being too soft.

yikes ........what a shock for you ...am very sorry to hear about the accident. It is perfectly normal for a fish who has been dropped to swim off kilter for a while and it is not an indication that he has been punctured or permantly damaged. Did you manage to rinse him off first? Before returning him?

Yes...do salt. the whole tank and keep a close watch on him.

Meant that Fishy was swimming on the wonky, but just been up there and had a check in on them and he's straight again now and seems fine and Chu'y apart from the breathing and scale loss was & is swimming ok.

Yeah very luckily there was no skin punctures just the huge scale loss :(

They seem ok again now, mooching about.

Just added some salt in.

I cant even come close to explaining how relieved I am that there was no punctures and (touch wood) he seems ok with in himself.

I'm glad to hear she's fine! Good that you were right there :)

Oh blimey I never even thought of that Fang.

Thanks God she done it when I was there otherwise... well I'm not even gona finish that sentence.

Iv just took some pictures so I'm gona up load them in a minute.

He is still very "quiet" but then like I said he isn't really a very active Fish.

Yikes! What a nightmare. I'm very glad that Chu'y is well, though :)

scales sometimes do grow back.. two of my fish that have scraped their scales off, i have noticed have grown their scales back and the correct colour too.. so perhaps his might also..

yes, thank goodness you were there to put him back in the tank.

Two with out Flash.......

picture317852-1.jpg

picture317846-1.jpg

And one with flash..........

picture317848-1.jpg

The two scales nearest the gills are sticking out/up. Couldn't get a decent pic' to show

and didn't want to keep him outa the water for longer than necessary after his HUUUUGE shock.

He's got a fare few missing going over his hump, just behind his head and a few missing scattered on his other side, bless him. :(

It actually looks worse to look at than in the pictures, but my 5mp phone camera is rubbish.

Edited by Oranda Lou

you could try setting up something that would fall and clatter to the floor when the cat attempts to get up there. If your cat is sensitive it will work better but if he is resilient it might not. A pie pan with some spoons or empty soda cans with something rattley inside.

Sometimes double stick tape keeps them off a surface

Oh Tex that Stickty tape sounds like a good idea

(would be funny watching a Cat trying to walk across Sticky tappe, LoL)

Iv got to get a roll of Carpet tape for a rug I have in the living room so I'll use some of that to stick something over the little hole with. :)

oh poor guy :( I hope the salt will fix him up soon! what a shock it must have been for him! I am sure the cat got in loads of trouble! :o

I'm glad Chu'y is ok. Drat that cat!

Oh thanks Guys.

He seems ok today, swimming about wise and he's eating normally.

Just horrible that it happened, bless him.

That cat must be in so much trouble! Amazing that a few missing scales was the only result. Looks like with a bit of salt, good food and quiet time he will heal up just fine.

Yeah just pleased I was right there when it happened. Other wise my Cat would have had a nive snack :(

She sure is a serious hunter though being able to get him from that little hole and the hole size of the tank.

The little holes all properly covered and taped up now. Cant be having that happen again.

Thanks Amy :)

Edited by Oranda Lou

Must have been quite scary. :yikes

I'm glad Chu'y seems fine, besides the scale loss.

I hope the scales grow back soon and the cat behaves from now on.

Very scary!! But hopefully everything will work out okay.

How scary. Glad Chu'y is ok.

He is a beautiful fish.

Wow! Now that's a fish tale!! Glad he's okay.

Silly cat....he'll make a nice ottoman if you stand him up in the deep freeze for a fortnight.