Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NightAngel

Runt Goldfish

Hey all. I havent posted in a long time but thought I would drop by and say HI!

I was reading another thread about the smallest type of goldfish. I agree the SD is the smallest in general, but what about the runts.

I happen to have 2 runts. One is a comet that is 3 years old, and the other is a fantail (looks more like a vieltail).

What they both had in common were that they were the smallest fish in the tank at the store. My all white comet "trisket" was see though and maybe worth 2cents rather than the 12cents paid for her. SOOOOOOOO tiny and see through. Maybe about the size of uncooked kraft macaroni. Tiny. Another thing was that she was perfectly praportioned and had exceptionally long fins. Three years later she is maybe 2inches in body length 4 inches total. Very slender body with long flowing fins.

The other is a common fantail. Again smallest fish in the tank. About the size of a garbanzo bean plus fins. This fish is now 1.5 years old and has hardly grown. The fins have grown sooooo long that it might just as well be called a veil tail.

Both of these fish were not crowded and fed high quality foods. Other fish purchased at the same time are now large sized. Some fish are just genetically small. Runts. I should have known that out of a large tank of what are most likley siblings, picking the smallest will more than likley end up in a smaller than average fish dispite an optimum environment. (Both of which would think that a 10g tank would be large)

Anyways, these are my ramblings.

they may have been kept together with many fish ie, overstocked tank/facility irrespective of the size of the tank, too many goldfish in the one tank can cause stunted growth also..

Wow you were qiuck. Sorry I tried to delete a duplicate thread but you mush have been posting at the same time.

Now I can't go back and re-activate this one and cancel the other on. Sigh....

Anyways I am sure the hatchery conditions played a small role. But I think there is somthing more going on as the other fish would have been affected in this way too. Some fish are just born small?

sometimes.. but it's difficult nowdays to pinpoint the true reason to this due to genetic modification gold fish have experienced over the years..

i guess with the typical visable signs breeders can cull, ie, missing fins etc... but with growth, they've pretty much left their hands before they see this happening..

I got Leonard (my Runty fantail) and Fishy (Oranda) together at the same age and from same tank last summer (2010)

They were about an inch small(including tails) and then Dory at a later date a few months later at about just an inch n half.

Dory is now 4 inches long, Fishy is about 3 n half, 4inches. And both very chunky.

But ma wonky tailed Leonard is still about 2 n half inches long and very noticeably smaller.

I do think it is a Runty thing with Leonard though as (most on here know) he has a wonky very mis-formed tail too, bless him.

I do think he will get bigger still, but just a lot lot slower and not as chunky as "normal"

Edited by Oranda Lou

Sure I can get some pictures. I am in the middle of some WCs so I will have to wait to let the water settle. I will probably wait for tonight so the lighting will be better. You know how that goes......

Here is the first. This one was super tiny a year and half ago (bought in spring 2009) It has lived its entire life in a 38g tank. For one year this fish shared its tank with another fantail and a moore. Weekly 85% watechanges, used prime, stable water conditions, feed Omega one pellets and peas. For the last 9 months this fish had said 38g tank to itseld (except a guppy fry). Recently two baby orandas were added. In no means has this fish ever been neglected. It is just a really small fry grown into a really small fish.

P1020537.jpg

P1020559.jpg

This one is for size reference. Those baby orandas are MAYBE and inche in body length.

I think this photo shows the gravity of what I am talking about.

P1020545.jpg

Here is the runt commet. She I got here of DECEMBER 2007!!

She was so small you could see her internal organs. Maybe the size of a uncooked kraft macaroni. Hardly a fish worthy of a 12cent size. She was dwarfed even then to by her live and dead siblings. For the most of her life she has lived in a 150g tank with 8 others. Also with rigerous water change regimine.

P1020579.jpg

The fish in the background is younger and at one time smaller. The rest of the fish in her tank are huge.

P1020578.jpg

Some fish are just born to be small.

:unsure: I would have edited my typos, but it appears that I dont have permission to edit my own postings.

What gorgeous little fishies!! They look wonderful--I wouldn't worry too much. I do think some are meant to stay small. I had a small common that I got at about an inch long and he never grew much in the year or so I had him. Went through a color change though from white with orange patches to mostly all white.

HPIM1121.jpg

okie2.jpg

Cute little fish Kristi. Is that the one your bought with the brown fish you got with your boyfriend? I cant remember what your named them. It is right at the tip of my tongue, I am sure I will remember it in an hour. I think these fish are like runt puppies/kitties which will forever be smaller than average due to genetics. Somtimes you can give a fish loads of food, space and clean water and they will still be small. Some fish have potential and some just dont.

Yes, they look like they are stunted to me due to poor care ahead of time. (Most likely no fault of your own) Another factor of this is grossly underfeeding the fish so that they fail to grow properly :(

OMG when I saw your white cap baby Oranda, I got spooked because I have one with the exact same pattern. I will post picture tomorrow :).

Great, I cant wait to see my fishies twin!