Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
number20121

Shock Of My Life

I bet! LOL It just drives me insane. He hasn't even put the new hood for the other half of the tank on yet, that he got for Christmas, which was like A MONTH AGO. :rofl

I bet! LOL It just drives me insane. He hasn't even put the new hood for the other half of the tank on yet, that he got for Christmas, which was like A MONTH AGO. :rofl

my tarzan believes our bedroom doesn't need curtains.. well, that's his excuse.. we've had the curtains for 15 years.. still in the packet and their rods leaning gainst the wall!! thank goodness our bedroom isn't visible from the street or the neighbour's house!!

yes... you may get your overhead lamp working sooner than i get my curtains in my bedroom :angelstaf:

Oh blimey!!

Glad to hear all your Trops gang are ok. :)

Wow, glad you got there before any big problems, ie fried fish!

Wow, glad you got there before any big problems, ie fried fish!

I think I would have been traumatized and forever blaming myself for being upstairs. I usually never spend my morning in the upstairs living room, and the one time I do, something bad happens.

Meanwhile, the cat was just out of view saying, "Son of a ....." as you pulled the lid out and the fish were flipping him the bird.

Meanwhile, the cat was just out of view saying, "Son of a ....." as you pulled the lid out and the fish were flipping him the bird.

lololol

The problem with this tank is that it is SLIGHTLY bowing because the top brace in the middle is missing and hubby had to improvise with a home made one. It holds up, but the tank is about a quarter inch wider in the middle than at the ends. The hood must have been moved by the cat just enough to "lose grip" where the tank is bowing and... SPLASH!

Steven wants to make new braces though, at least three and so the two half-hoods can be placed over top of the braces and can't fall in anymore :)

My Vision tank had a damaged brace and my dad made a new connection. Before that the lids fell in quite often. I keep a close eye on everything that could brake in my tank and have a 13 gal rubbermaid and a glas tank of 30 gal and my lottle tank without a light. If something bad happens I can move all the fish to temporary homes.

lololol

:rofl

A year ago I would not have understood this ;)

Miki, how did your dad make the new connection/brace?

Miki, how did your dad make the new connection/brace?

He used thick strong lightweight metal (alluminium I think, a leftover from work ;) ) to make a new connection. Only on the front the brace came apart so he used the 6 cm piece to make a connection with the front and the middle brace. He drilled it and used alu screws to attach it. It reduced a gap of more than 1.5 cm to only 1.5 mm, when the tank is completely filled :D

I see! Awesome! I want hubster to make a metal brace for his tank. For now we have a not so pretty wooden one. It keeps the tank from exploding LOL but I'd say the bowing makes a difference of about 1cm in the middle of the tank, which is why the hood fell in. :(

Mookie one time jumped on my really old tropical tank, at that time all I had was plexi glass on the top with the light on it... she jumped on top and it gave way, letting the light dump right in the tank :o Thankfully too all my fish where fine... :o

Wow! This exact same thing happened to me, except I was much less smart than you were. The light was probably in the tank for about 10 seconds, and I overreacted. I threw my hand in there, grabbed the light (shocking me half to death), and saved my fish. I didn't realize how much easier I could've made it on myself if I would've just unplugged the fixture! Well, congrats on your aquarium survival! :)

i bet you got curly hair now :lol

Ground Fault Interrupters.....look into these thingees & get some for your tanks!! Water & electricity are NOT GOOD TOGETHER!!