Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
number20121

Eggs And Weird Behavior

Now some of your might remember that I had to remove Blacky from the 55g because Orange was picking on her.

A few days ago I noticed that Orange Fishie now is a bit mean to all the other fish in the 55 too - except for Hugo. Not overly, and they can dodge her much easier than the Black Moor could.

Last night I noticed that leftover eggs were in my tank. Yay eggs for the first time! :D Most of them were getting eaten, and the rest was cleaned out today. Not sure who did it though.

Since last night now I see Orange butt bumping Hugo, which makes me think Hugo spread the eggs out all over the tank. The thing is though that Orange Fishie looks like a girl, mostly.

She is at least two or two and a half years old, has no signs of breeding stars (and I would notice those on her solid orange gills and pectorals) and a rounder body viewed from the top. She does NOT have an outie though, it is hard to tell and it almost looks like her outie sits deeper in her vent than the outies of the other girls do.

As if this wasn't weird enough, tiny CHIBI now keeps bumping into Orange Fishie's side, almost looks like she is nibbling on her. Not aggressive at all, and even if she was, Chibi is like a quarter the size of Orange Fishie LOL

In case anyone wants to know, params are 0/0/5, 72F, pH 7.4, 80% water change every 4 to 5 days right now. Added to 0.1% salt today because Vanille has a split in her tail, I suppose this was Orange Fishie's fault.

So what in the world are they doing? They all come out of the closet now?? As said, Orange Fishie is not overly aggressive with the others, just shoves them out of her way sometimes. Blacky Fishie is half blind and very slow though and so has a big disadvantage which is why I moved her to her own tank.

:idont I'm guessing they all came out of the closet. The new tiger made a wonderful egg breakfast this morning with Link's help and theyr'e still at it. :doh11: It might be possibly orange fishy. Maybe monitor them for the rest of the day?

Cupid works in very mysterious ways, Fang.....OUCH!

It might be possibly orange fishy.

You mean who laid the eggs? Do females turn a bit more aggressive when it is time to lay eggs?

You mean who laid the eggs? Do females turn a bit more aggressive when it is time to lay eggs?

I've never seen any of my female Teles get aggressive when they were ready to release eggs...

Have you noticed anymore bumping today?

I've never seen any of my female Teles get aggressive when they were ready to release eggs...

None of the teles is aggressive. Chibi is gently nudging Orange Fishie, but Orange Fishie is the one with the "more aggressive" behavior!

EDIT: and not sure who laid the eggs. I haven't seen it happen!

Have you noticed anymore bumping today?

Yes, Orange Fishie's nose seems to be sewn to Hugo's rear end. Not 100% of the time, but often enough that it is suspicious. Haven't seen her picking on any of the other fish today. Chibi was nudging Orange Fishie a bit before, but not in the but area, more on the side, above the pectoral fins.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Well, when it's "my time of the month", I tend to get v-e-r-y grouchy - usually with my beloved, poor guy........

Females will often chase females, males chase males, females chase males. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, but that's how it goes.

From above does Orange Fishie look like s/he is bigger on one side? Or is it evenly on both sides?

Some males don't show their breeding stars....they have them, they just stay hidden!

Vent sexing is not always the most reliable, as you stated it can be very difficult sometimes to tell between an innie and an outie! But if you could post a picture, I think we'd be more than willing to try and decypher it for you! :)

Females will often chase females, males chase males, females chase males. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, but that's how it goes.

From above does Orange Fishie look like s/he is bigger on one side? Or is it evenly on both sides?

Some males don't show their breeding stars....they have them, they just stay hidden!

Vent sexing is not always the most reliable, as you stated it can be very difficult sometimes to tell between an innie and an outie! But if you could post a picture, I think we'd be more than willing to try and decypher it for you! :)

Thanks! I might try to take a few good pics of her. She is "round" evenly, always been. But again, I will take some good pics soon for gender guessing! :D