Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
togojeff

Calcium Build-Up In My Power Filter

I have 2 AC 70's on my 50 gal tank. Great filters except for one thing:

Calcium build-up on the impeller assemblies will cause my filters to stall.

Especially after a power outage(which can be frequent in my area) or after

a w/c, they will not re-start. In which case I have to tear them apart and

clean out the calcium using vinegar. Even this only works for a couple of weeks,

when they need to be re-done.

What I wanted to know are there other brands of power filters that work better

in very hard water that are not as prone to this sort of problem? I am gone from

home quite a lot and having the filters quit while I am gone is not a good thing.

I believe member buggybear has/had the same problem. Try contacting her for her reccomendation.

I'm not familiar with AC...but is it cannister? I find my cannister external filters do not have a calcium build up like my overhead filter does.

I'm not familiar with AC...but is it cannister? I find my cannister external filters do not have a calcium build up like my overhead filter does.

AC70= Aqua Clear70, an HOB filter.

I would try a canister filter except I would be worried

about leaks while I am away. :unsure:

No leaks on mine.......:unsure:

If you're in SE Sask, we probably have similar water issues since I'm SW Manitoba :doh11: My first AC's didn't last long, but I just got a new 110 for my big tank and I'm going to try running vinegar through it monthly to see if it helps. Tetra Whispers last longer but I prefer the Aquaclear, if I can make it last.

If you're in SE Sask, we probably have similar water issues since I'm SW Manitoba :doh11: My first AC's didn't last long, but I just got a new 110 for my big tank and I'm going to try running vinegar through it monthly to see if it helps. Tetra Whispers last longer but I prefer the Aquaclear, if I can make it last.

I am indeed in SE Sask. :D

I really like your idea of running vinegar through

the filter. If it works it will be much easier than disassembling

and cleaning the parts by hand. :thumbup2:

I'm actually trying an Aqua Tech right now alongside the AC's as my neighbour

uses one and has had no problems in a year and a half.

I lived in Brandon this summer, and OMG, talk about a fishkeeper's dream...perfect water, no white residue on the tank walls, but *sigh* I'm back in the country with our sand point well, nice water, just high mineral content. ABS scrapers work great for keeping the build up off the tank walls and floor, if you have that problem, too.

I lived in Brandon this summer, and OMG, talk about a fishkeeper's dream...perfect water, no white residue on the tank walls, but *sigh* I'm back in the country with our sand point well, nice water, just high mineral content. ABS scrapers work great for keeping the build up off the tank walls and floor, if you have that problem, too.

Speaking of perfect water, the town where I live is slated for an RO town water system sometime in the next year. Then I imagine I'll have PH and a lack of mineral problems. :doh11:

Ugh, one extreme to the other :krazy: A lot of people on Koko's used crushed coral to balance pH, not sure what you need to use to replace missing minerals :idont